Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone figured out a proper Locost reverse for IVA yet?
eznfrank

posted on 14/5/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone figured out a proper Locost reverse for IVA yet?

There seems to have been relatively little discussion on here about how us BEC folk are going to deal with the reverse requirement for IVA??

Personally I have no real intention of going backwards and would prefer to do without which is why I'm loathed to spend £350+ on anything the various companies are offering.

So what are peoples thoughts? What is anyone else doing about it?

Or do I just pony up the dough and then sell it on again after?

MakeEverything

posted on 14/5/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
How about a starter motor on a toothed ring gear bolted to the sprocket? Shouldnt be too difficult.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

nick205

posted on 14/5/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
How about keeping a wooden pole behind your seat?

When you need to reverse you simply use the pole to "punt" yourself backwards. No need to even undo your harness. Should be easy what with you BEC boys being so low weight of course

eznfrank

posted on 14/5/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I think that's what MK do - £350!!

My fabrication skills are poo though, I guess for a start do we know which starter motors would be right size, spin right way and be powerful enough?

eznfrank

posted on 14/5/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

When you need to reverse you simply use the pole to "punt" yourself backwards. No need to even undo your harness. Should be easy what with you BEC boys being so low weight of course

If it'd pass IVA I'd be more than happy to do that!!! How about a Fred Flintstone style trapdoor in the footwell.?

iank

posted on 14/5/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
MNR are releasing one according to totalkitcar
http://www.totalkitcar.com/news.php

Not cheap at £499 inc VAT but probably lighter and more reliable than a starter motor based solution.

Edit: Beware removing a reverse after IVA unless you're happy to declare it to the insurance companies and let them load the policy accordingly.

[Edited on 14/5/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 14/5/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
define 'proper'

i'd say proper means an actual reverse gear like you'd get in a car gearox, so in that case, the quafi box is your option, otherwise starter motor with ring gear. been done many times by folk on here i think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

eznfrank

posted on 14/5/09 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
define 'proper'

i'd say proper means an actual reverse gear like you'd get in a car gearox, so in that case, the quafi box is your option, otherwise starter motor with ring gear. been done many times by folk on here i think

Yeah I guess my definition of "proper" is the absolute minimum to keep IVA man happy.

02GF74

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

don't be so ridiculous. a wooden pole indeed.

gotta be a carbon fibre pole.

JekRankin

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'd also like to know which starter motors are most suitable. There is a thread with a few pictures of various installations, but haven't found much info on where to get the ring gear or how to wire it all up.

As far as I know, buying an Quaife or MNR box and selling it after IVA would mean having to change prop shafts too, unfortunately.

rb968

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm off to the scrapyard on Saturday to try and find a reasonably small and hopefully decent Bosch or equivalent starter to use. Have got a supplier of spur gears lined up so just need to find the right size starter and then match the gearing. Intend to sandwich it between the diff and prop as discussed on the other topic. I will try and post some more when I get a bit further on with it.
I agree that info and how to on the subject is limited at the moment on here. Certainly to me (no fabricator either) the MK setup looks easy enough to replicate without spending £350. Also sure the poster there said that didn't include welding mounting tubes on for the starter !

Rich

MikeCapon

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Food for thought?

rev3
rev3

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Food for thought?

rev3
rev3

Thats it. Thats what i was trying to describe.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
gotta be a carbon fibre pole.

Unless youre under overhead lines......

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

tegwin

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think the pole would pass radius tests

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Richard Quinn

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like the pole behind the seat idea. Or even an estonion or lithuanian.
40inches

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
There are a lot of variables involved in fabricating an electric reverse, not least is using a starter motor that runs in the correct direction, if you don't want another forward gear
Then there is finding a starter with a gear pitch that can be replicated, some manufactures use some very strange pitch and pressure angles.
You then need a starter that is small enough to fit, but powerful enough to move the car and at least the driver.
So far I have found what I believe to be a suitable starter and have ordered a spur gear that will fit on the diff flange as per MK, also have just finished the drawings for a motor mount that can be either bolted, or welded on the chassis and is adjustable, so in theory it should fit most 7's.
All this lot should come together in about 2 weeks, so if you can wait I could put it all together with relays and wiring and try for a group buy, but I will definitely post a shopping list, if it all works

eznfrank

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
There are a lot of variables involved in fabricating an electric reverse, not least is using a starter motor that runs in the correct direction, if you don't want another forward gear
Then there is finding a starter with a gear pitch that can be replicated, some manufactures use some very strange pitch and pressure angles.
You then need a starter that is small enough to fit, but powerful enough to move the car and at least the driver.
So far I have found what I believe to be a suitable starter and have ordered a spur gear that will fit on the diff flange as per MK, also have just finished the drawings for a motor mount that can be either bolted, or welded on the chassis and is adjustable, so in theory it should fit most 7's.
All this lot should come together in about 2 weeks, so if you can wait I could put it all together with relays and wiring and try for a group buy, but I will definitely post a shopping list, if it all works

If it all works OK, I'd be up for a group buy.

sickbag

posted on 14/5/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Food for thought?

rev3
rev3

Just out of curiousity - how close is the ring-gear to the ground?

Finally back on the job!

mr henderson

posted on 14/5/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
MNR are releasing one according to totalkitcar
http://www.totalkitcar.com/news.php

Not cheap at £499 inc VAT but probably lighter and more reliable than a starter motor based solution.

Edit: Beware removing a reverse after IVA unless you're happy to declare it to the insurance companies and let them load the policy accordingly.

[Edited on 14/5/09 by iank]

I can't think that it would be much lighter, not if it was well built, but would be absorbing some power all the time, whereas the electric solution only requires power when it is operating due to the gears only meshing when needed

John

CraigJ

posted on 14/5/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
What what be used to control the speed of the reverse? last thing i want to do is switch it on and end up smashing through my garage door lol.

matt_claydon

posted on 14/5/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pedal!
02GF74

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
why electric?

has anyone considered hydraulic solution - e.g. using power steering pump as the driver or compressed air?

40inches

posted on 15/5/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Far too complicated I think.
It would be difficult, if not impossible, to run a hydraulic pump from a bike engine, so an electric pump would be needed plus some form of hydraulic motor to turn prop shaft or a wheel, same with compressed air, then figure in the weight and complexity
In the end most of us don't actually want a reverse, we must have one for IVA, so the simplest/cheapest route is the best way, and if it turns out to be usable as well, that's a bonus

Hellfire

posted on 15/5/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me like there's a market here for a 'rent-a-reverse', in a similar way to the 'rent-a-cat' for IVA purposes.

I'm sure whoever designs and builds a simple one that could be easily transferred from vehicle to vehicle, would soon recoup their initial outlay and even make a few quid

Phil

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.