Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Was it a premonition?
02GF74

posted on 18/1/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Was it a premonition?

Close to where I live are some disused gravel pits filled up with water where a variety of water fowl e.g. duck, goose and swan have taken residence.

On most Sundays I do a round of the lakes chucking bread at the ducks and swans and have been doing this for quite a few years. (Tesco value bread has quadrupled in price!! :mad

Went out yesterday and saw that the lakes were still mostly frozen and the random thought "I wonder what a dead swan would look like on the ice?" popped into my head.

Up to then, I had only seen 1 dead sawn previously and remains of a goose, so it is very rare.

Anyways, walking a bit further and lo and behold, lying on the jetty used by the sailing boat peeps was guess what? A dead swan.

No idea what made me think that but I've never had that thought before and there is no way I could have seen that swan previously.

Spooky or what?

Now I just need to think about those 6 numbers......

vinny1275

posted on 18/1/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
There's a theory that your subconcious brain has better "eyesight" than your conscious one, so these premonition thoughts are actually your subconcious telling your concious something - I think this stems from the fact that most of what you "see" is actually taken from your memory, rather than processed afresh, which is why you don't always recognise changes to familiar things.

paul the 6th

posted on 18/1/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
The best ones are where you start singing a song without really thinking about it - usually whilst driving in the car - then you turn the radio on to find that you're perfectly in sync with what's being broadcast.

The other is when you pull your mobile out of your pocket and it rings... Love all that stuff..

I should prolly imagine driving a fully IVA'd roadster before heading out to the garage this evening

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
splitrivet

posted on 18/1/10 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
You may be becoming a cyclepath.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/1/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
tbh I think you must have been sleep walking last night and it was you who done it, you bad man killing a poor swan

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/1/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I had one once when I was introduced to a my hosts family on an exchange trip to the Ukraine.

When it came to his youngest brother I had this thing like someone was shouting inside my head "His name is Igor, His name is Igor" then he turned to me and and said "This is my brother IGOR"!!!!!!

It was really weird

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

cd.thomson

posted on 18/1/10 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
did he have a hunchback and a lisp?

Craig

tegwin

posted on 18/1/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Your brain is very good at logical deduction.... so it calculated that there might be a swan on the frozen lake....had there been no swan the event would have passed without note... but because there is, the logical deduction about the swan becomes more prominant in your minds eye cuasing this reaction..

the brain is a cunning thing!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/1/10 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
The humming songs you then hear or thinking about a film and then finding its on tv are quite common but without being able to repeat it or do any proper test to see if its any more likely than just random chance you’ll never know. Personally I think we just notice when these chance things happen more than when they don’t so attach some significance to it.

As to hearing voices, I’ve several times in the past heard my name being distantly shouted out, usually when it’s very quiet at night but there can’t be anyone else around. I think that’s just random thoughts in your head kind of thing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 18/1/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
You might wanna be careful with this kind of talk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

[Edited on 18/1/10 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

smart51

posted on 18/1/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
You saw a frozen lake and what with the bad weather conditions concluded that wild life would find it hard to survive which made you think "what would a dead swan look like". The same conditions that made you think it also made it more likely to happen. No premonition.

As for radio songs, you sing songs in your head all the time. The radio plays songs when you turn it on all the time. What are the chances of it being the same song. 0.000001? How many times do you turn the radio on? 1000000? Chances are that it will happen every couple of years just by chance. You don't remember the times when it didn't match but do remember the one time it was the same. Isn't the brain strange?

speedyxjs

posted on 18/1/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I get stuff like that all the time. Im starting to wonder if i am psycic

Never won anything on the lottery though so maybe not

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/1/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
My girlfriend use to be into witch craft seriously

02GF74

posted on 18/1/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ but the lakes and canal have been frozen before and I am certain(?) I have never had that thought before .... since it was such a weird one.

And why a swan, not a duck, goose, moorhen, coot, golden-eye or seagull?

I should point out I don't believe I have tapped into some new power; it has to be a coincidence but still it makes you wonder.

[Edited on 18/1/10 by 02GF74]

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/1/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think most people would say, random chance

Our minds are made to see associations even when their not there at all

I can see your going to have a complex over this, probably turn weird and all mystic…wwwhhhoooooo

I don't know half those bird names, your a bird watcher or something so must be thinking about birds all the time

MK9R

posted on 18/1/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Go back, pick it up and cook it for dinner!!! You won't get chance to eat swan legally very often!!!!

[Edited on 18/1/10 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

speedyxjs

posted on 18/1/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
must be thinking about birds all the time

Dont all men?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

ianclark1275

posted on 18/1/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
too much advance usually causes it

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

Benzine

posted on 18/1/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
You feed beefburgers to swans!

most people listen to awful music and most radio plays the same awful songs all the time

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Ninehigh

posted on 18/1/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
As to hearing voices, I’ve several times in the past heard my name being distantly shouted out, usually when it’s very quiet at night but there can’t be anyone else around. I think that’s just random thoughts in your head kind of thing.

Good it's not just me then!

Years ago (as part of my "chilling out before bed" thing) I'd randomly drive around with the cd on at random and just let the day's thoughts drift around my head. Usually those thoughts would come to a stop and (I'd say about 50% of the time) the song playing would be relavant to what I was thinking.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 19/1/10 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
Cocktail party

quote:

It is called "cocktail party effect", yoour brain puts together "random" sounds that are arranged in a recognizable(sp?) pattern which your conscious mind reads...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.