Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Z20LER Dual Mass Flywheel to Solid Conversion
plentywahalla

posted on 10/2/10 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Z20LER Dual Mass Flywheel to Solid Conversion

I have a Lotus Europa S engine which is a Z20LER (same as a VX220 Turbo)

I bought a Heavy Duty Type 9 gearbox and a bellhousing from Yukspeed to adapt it to the engine.

Problem is the engine is fitted with a Dual Mass flywheel which is about 25mm too thick to allow the bellhousing to mate to the crankcase.

I have seen solid flywheel conversions. But they are designed to be the same thickness as the DMF and are marketed as a low cost option to replace knackered or exploded ones.

Where can I get a solid flywheel which is the standard thickness which the Bellhousing is designed to fit.

I have tried dealers and breakers but the first question is 'whats your vehicle reg' so I just hang up!

MikeFellows

posted on 10/2/10 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
just so you know its not the same engine that is in a VX220 Turbo

The VX220 has a Z20LET the Astra VXR has an Z20LEH

I believe the Z20LER is from a Astra Sri

blakep82

posted on 10/2/10 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
i think all these engines have the same block as the c20xe, x20xev, z20let, z20leh blah blah
soo, can you get a flywheel from a xe or ecotec xev engine? I've got the ecotec in my car with sierra clutch plate yukspeed bellhousing and type 9, cd.thomson has a xe with similar set up.
would a flywheel from one of them be an option?

if thats your engine in your avatar, the top cover looks just like my ecotec (only mine says vauxhall, not lotus) so i would imagine an ecotec from a vectra or astra (from around 1998, if you want to pick a random one out the street for its reg number ) would be your best bet. don't quote me on that though.

[Edited on 10/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

alistairolsen

posted on 10/2/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
The xe and later xev engines had a different flywheel bolt pattern (xes were 8 bolt and xevs 6 or vice versa)

I suspect the xev flywheel will fit fine, but you might want to get the bottom end balanced along with the clutch after swapping them.

My Build Thread

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 10/2/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have a scrap xev in the shed you're welcome to the flywheel for beer money and postage
plentywahalla

posted on 10/2/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a great offer ....

... How much beer can you drink?

The flywheel I need is a 6 bolt pattern. from what I have been able to work out anything 1.8 or less has a smaller ringgear and XE's have 8 bolts.

philw

posted on 10/2/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
What you need is an Opel Manta 1.8 flywheel and starter, you will have to drill the bolt holes in the flywheel though.

Must try harder

repper

posted on 10/2/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
my wifes zafira has the z20let engine in it ive just fitted a lightened flywheel and alloy crank pully to it i did the job at my mates garage so ill see if he still has them lying around and if its any good to you you can have it
i got the new bit off steve at LMF vauxhall
www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.