Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: young driver insurance
andy o

posted on 19/5/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
young driver insurance

hello all
my 18 year old son is being quoted £3000 plus for insurance on a 1200 fiesta,have you any idea who would charge less.there must be a LOCOST insurer.thanks for any help
andy

Madinventions

posted on 19/5/10 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Put the policy in your name, and put him as a named driver. Should be a lot cheaper...?

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

phelpsa

posted on 19/5/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Admiral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 19/5/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Try the AA, recently doing good quotes

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Coopz

posted on 19/5/10 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
As said admiral are great and do a 10 month accelerator which means after ten months you get a years no claims which are important when your young.
speedyxjs

posted on 19/5/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions
Put the policy in your name, and put him as a named driver. Should be a lot cheaper...?

Ed.

Even cheaper (for me anyway on a 1.25 fiesta when i was 18) was for the policy to be in my mums name but i was named as the main driver!

If you want it in his name so he can start his own no claims, put yourself down as a named driver on his policy. Wont be as cheap as the former but will still be waaaay cheaper than £3k.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Humbug

posted on 19/5/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful with the named driver thing - it's called "fronting" and is illegal if he really is the main driver...

I'll third Admiral. My daughter had her Saxo 1.1. insured as a learner (with her as the main driver...) for £800 ish for 10 months. Renewal gave her 1 years NCD and was about £680 for another 10 months. It may depend on where you live etc. and I know girls are cheaper to insure than boys, but worth a try. Also, I went through one of the comparison sites (can't remember which) and got it cheaper than the quoted renewal

andy o

posted on 19/5/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
hi all
thank you for help so far but i have tried admiral £3123
with me as named driver £3023
he has been driving for a year,passed test last november (6 months ) was a named driver on mums car so no ncb
looks like he will just have to suffer
andy
wonder if it would be cheeper on my fury r1?

philhoward

posted on 19/5/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Try i-kube at Linky. The only drawback is that a tracker is fitted to you car and it cannot be driven between 11pm and 5am without a £45.00 per night penalty
skinned knuckles

posted on 19/5/10 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
i think you'll be struggling to bring it down much below that figure tbh. i'd accept that he'll be stung by every insurer so look for best value insurance by what is included in the policy and how much the excess is.
unfortunately statiscally speaking, your lad is very likely to have some sort of accident in his first year of driving and the car you are trying to insure him on is a very crashed car. be sure that you drill it in to him that if he does have any sort of accident through speed or stupidity or the police have any reason to point him or charge him with driving without due care and attention/reckless driving that £3K will go up to £4-5K the following year. my cousin is now un-insurable at the age of 19 because he did what so many other lads do and loaded up his car with mates and showed off a bit. 3 people in hozzy, one probably will be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. even when his ban ends and he has payed off his fine he wont be able to be on the road for many years, all through 5 mins stupidity. plus he has to live with himself for paralising a young girl by trying to get in to her knickers with superior driving skills.

sorry about the rant. but i think its the responsibility of every parent to hammer the home the consequences of bad driving to their kids. hopefully your lad is an exception to the idiot rule and will earn himself plenty of no claims get reduced premiums on years to come.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

mcerd1

posted on 19/5/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions

Ed.

Even cheaper (for me anyway on a 1.25 fiesta when i was 18) was for the policy to be in my mums name but i was named as the main driver!

If you want it in his name so he can start his own no claims, put yourself down as a named driver on his policy. Wont be as cheap as the former but will still be waaaay cheaper than £3k.

^^ thats the way I started out - being the named main driver avoids any problems

if he's just a named driver on your policy and the insurance even suspect that he drives it more than you they could use that as an excuse not to pay out

oh and whatever way he gets insured - add a woman onto the policy - it should make it cheaper
(for preference one over 25, married, with kids)

-

hearbear

posted on 19/5/10 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Elephant but don't pay it monthly as they charge a small fortune
Thinking about it

posted on 19/5/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Be careful with the named driver thing - it's called "fronting" and is illegal if he really is the main driver...

I'll third Admiral. My daughter had her Saxo 1.1. insured as a learner (with her as the main driver...) for £800 ish for 10 months. Renewal gave her 1 years NCD and was about £680 for another 10 months. It may depend on where you live etc. and I know girls are cheaper to insure than boys, but worth a try. Also, I went through one of the comparison sites (can't remember which) and got it cheaper than the quoted renewal

It will be more for a newly qualified driver than a provisional.

bmseven

posted on 19/5/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
My daughters with Quinn in a Zetec Fiesta at 18 and its about £475 but they are taking on no new business. Sons with Admiral 20 and £900 for a T4 (200bhp)

Use all the comparison sites as listed on moneysupermarket and be aware like flights premiums sometimes change daily !

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

2GETHER INS

posted on 23/5/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Fronting

Please ignore the post stating out in your name with your child as a named driver. It is called fronting and is a form of fraud as it distorts the risk. Many people are getting into a lot of trouble with this following a claim. I would advise Direct Line or perhaps Admiral (The same Group) but make sure is in the childs name.

Not preaching but fronting is fraud however many people are not aware of this.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
2GETHER INS

posted on 23/5/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Quinn direct

Quin have just been stopped trading in the UK market for personal line due to insufficient solvency margins. Also be aware many will offer a low figure whilst on a provisional but when passed the premium will double.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.