Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2008 R1 breather mod
MK9R

posted on 5/7/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
2008 R1 breather mod

Is the breather mod required on the earlier R1's required on the 2007/2008 engine. If so has anyone got details of the mod??? Also are the engine mounts different on the this model compared to earlier ones?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
A1

posted on 5/7/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
what breather mod? not done anything to mine...
MK9R

posted on 5/7/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
There is a breather added that recirculates the oil when it engine trys to spew all its oil out.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
A1

posted on 5/7/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
out the crankcase? its overfilled if its doing that, you get a wee bit from the breather but thats normal. ive had mine in a can for way over a year and its got about 10ml in the bottom.
youll be fine just putting a filter on the crankcase breather.

MK9R

posted on 5/7/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
out the crankcase? its overfilled if its doing that, you get a wee bit from the breather but thats normal. ive had mine in a can for way over a year and its got about 10ml in the bottom.
youll be fine just putting a filter on the crankcase breather.

what year R1?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

road warrior

posted on 5/7/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Read this thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=113841

If the engine is '04 or later I would recommend this for track use. Normal road use may be ok. The mounts are the same '04-'07 so I assume '08 would be the same also.

A1

posted on 5/7/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
im an 03.
adithorp

posted on 5/7/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a 7 (Westy I think) at Anglesey last year with an 08 R1 and it lasted one session. It wasn't the first one they'd blown either.

I've done the mod to my 06 R1 and it's good for all use. Previously it did push a small amount of oil to the catch tank. Just get condensation in it now if doing short runs from cold.

adrian

PS. 03 doesn't need the mod as far as I know.

[Edited on 5/7/10 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

r1bob

posted on 5/7/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Austen, I run all my breather's into an open ended can (Stella) to catch any residue!! lol no prob's , scrutineers seem's fine with that, but that's not on circuit's,,only hill climb's and sprint's,oil blow out is hardly any thing to be fair, infact bugger all. mine is the 2001 5jj on carb's. Have you gone the R1 route, must catch up.

ATB carl

kjouk

posted on 5/7/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I saw a 7 (Westy I think) at Anglesey last year with an 08 R1 and it lasted one session. It wasn't the first one they'd blown either.

That was probably mine in '08, that was the second crank to go after losing too much at croft day a few weeks before. Did a full season sprinting it last year after the mods with just a bit of oil coming out if I did overfill too much.

Would strongly recommend you read that thread posted earlier. The mods are fairly easy/cheap compared to rebuilds

adithorp

posted on 5/7/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kjouk
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

That was probably mine in '08, that was the second crank to go after losing too much at croft day a few weeks before. Did a full season sprinting it last year after the mods with just a bit of oil coming out if I did overfill too much.

Would strongly recommend you read that thread posted earlier. The mods are fairly easy/cheap compared to rebuilds

Come to think of it it was 08. Time flies when your having fun.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

BobM

posted on 6/7/10 at 03:25 AM Reply With Quote
Have a chat with Andy at the weekend Austen, He does a mod with a tapped hole in the cam cover for a breather, I saw it on an engine he had at Brands.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.