Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RV8 power up?
coozer

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
RV8 power up?

Thinking out loud here.

My RV8 has TINY 1.75" little zenith carbs on it, standard mid 80's 3.5 fare.

Plan is for a fresh cam, followers and duplex timing chain and injection.

I've been eyeing up a couple of TL1000 TB's I have that are 60mm each. would they be enough? Two injectors enough on the standard carb inlet?

What's the best (locost) option for freeing up the inlet and getting a bit more grunt?

Its defo going to be injection and I will be using the MS off bumper when the time comes.

What have you got on yours??

LG,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MakeEverything

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got two sets of GSXR600 throttle bodies if youre interested.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

r1_pete

posted on 16/7/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
You've got to go with 8 throttle bodies, vertical with trumpets stuck out of the bonnet - its the LAW

40mm GSXR600 bodies are plentifull and cheam, I know Malc has loads.... and I've one set bought by error.

[Edited on 16/7/10 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 16/7/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
What about the later ST1300 Throttle bodies? 2 sets of them.
200409858930 eBay number

Steve

BenB

posted on 16/7/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
How much power does the RV8 make (post modification), how much power does a TL1000 make. If they're different it won't work.

Simples

Somewhere I had three equations for working out TB diameters based on engine BHP for NA / blown / turbo cars. But I can't remember it now Hope that helps

Irony

posted on 16/7/10 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would love to do the whole throttle bodies with the trumpets coming out of the bonnet! Sounds awesome. I am just going for carbs at the moment. Getting it operational is my priority.......then let the upgrades begin.

Simon

posted on 16/7/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Iirc you engine is low compression so first thing you should be looking at is getting that increased (or blow it)

then,

ATB

Simon

wilkingj

posted on 16/7/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
The Honda CBR600 throttle bodies is not a huge increase over the standard injection.
The std injected RV8's have only 8x 38mm venturi's. So I think its not a Huge gain.

I too have 8 x CBR 600 throttle bodies, and loom, in the garage!

Clive (Snuggs) has done a very nice conversion using 4 x Metro? / Rover 200 throttle bodies on a RPI Boxer Manifold (Boxer manifold was for 4 x SU Carbs)

However Boxer Manifolds are no longer in production, and fetch £200.
However that is still cheaper than the £600+ Bogg Bros and Altiss Engineering want for a RV8 Manifold.

I currently run a Webber 500 carb on an Edelbrock Manifold.
My thoughts after the 8 x CBR600 tb's, was to fit a single 4 barrel Throttle body from the USA. This would bolt straight on, and with Megasquirt or Emerald or similar make a farily easy conversion. ie no issues with fitting / welding in the injector boss's and rails.

What ever you do, you will need to have the ECU mapped.

I suppose, you could even fit a pair of Rover 200 Throttle bodies on the std Rover SU / Stromberg Manifold. It would get you started. How you would integrate the injectors would be another problem.

The Weak point in the RV8 is the breathing.
You need the big valves, a bit of porting, then you can fit some bigger Throttle bodies. Thats a LOT of expense.

Also How much power are you hoping to get?

Consider spending out on a std 4.0 or a 4.6 engine. Out of the box the 4.6 will almost produce what a 3.5 does when its been tuned (225 - 250bhp)

All the above has been milling about in my head for over a year now!
You arent the only one thinking about this sort of power upgrade.

Apart from the weigh factor, what about putting a Ford 5.0l in? 350Bhp with little or no fuss.
However, you are probably like me, and have a nice shiny expensive Rover Exhaust system that cost a packet, and you want to keep, as it fits the holes in the side of the car etc etc etc etc.

Glad I got all that off me chest!

Cheers

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 16/7/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
WOW That is indeed a good write.

SO, atm I have a 3.5 V8 that I've always wanted and got it very cheap.

First thoughts are to attach the TL TB's on the standard inlet where the carbs currently are. After all the carbs are about 35mm and the TB's are 55mm!

I'm not after tons of power, just want to improve it with injection and coil packs.

I have the Megasquirt coming off bumper so I can use that for nowt. I've also got a canny few injectors and throttle body's lying around.

All I want is for the car to rumble like them Cobras and GT40's sounding like a proper V8

It all needs to be LOCOST!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

repper

posted on 16/7/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
i found this web sit a bit back loads off iders on it

http://www.mez.co.uk/ms12.html

scudderfish

posted on 16/7/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
My thoughts after the 8 x CBR600 tb's, was to fit a single 4 barrel Throttle body from the USA. This would bolt straight on, and with Megasquirt or Emerald or similar make a farily easy conversion. ie no issues with fitting / welding in the injector boss's and rails.

That's exactly what I've got on my RV8 now. Absolute doddle, and about the only injection set up that would bit under my bonnet.

Regards,
Dave

wilkingj

posted on 18/7/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by repper
i found this web sit a bit back loads off iders on it

http://www.mez.co.uk/ms12.html

On the above site... Clive's is the one directly under the Red Boxer Manifold. His is the Yellow Se7en, with the Silver manifold (Boxer manifold painted silver) and 4 x pink air filters.

I recon this is probably the cheapest way to go if you want individual TB's. As it used cheap TB's off Rover 25 (sorry earlier post I said R200, I knew it was Rover!)

What ever you do on a RV8 it wont be Dead cheap.

Easiest way to get started is to use a std Rover V8 injected manifold, and the Megasquirt you have got.
This would get you going cheaply, and easily.
Although it does not give you the BLING factor of 4 or 8 TB's.
At least there are plenty of 3.5 Injected manifolds and plenums about.
Just watch out as some people are asking silly money for manifold and injectors eg £100. I wont pay that much!

Best Regards
Geoff

wilkingj

posted on 18/7/10 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

That's exactly what I've got on my RV8 now. Absolute doddle, and about the only injection set up that would bit under my bonnet.

Regards,
Dave

If you come up with any design / suppliers, can you list the bits you used and post on locostbuilders?
Also if we all used the same bits, the setup / gained knowlege would be better / easier to manage.

Best Regards
Geoff

scudderfish

posted on 18/7/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you come up with any design / suppliers, can you list the bits you used and post on locostbuilders?
Also if we all used the same bits, the setup / gained knowlege would be better / easier to manage.

Done. http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=139947

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.