Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The mistake of adding up receipts....
franky

posted on 15/8/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
The mistake of adding up receipts....

People ask what my build cost is going to be and I say XXXX'£s.... obviously lower than I think to make myself sleep better

Imagine the shock when I do add up the receipts

Can you get pills that stop me liking shiny things?

tomgregory2000

posted on 15/8/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Can you get pills that stop me liking shiny things?

Yeh but they cost a fortune so its cheaper to buy the shiny things

scootz

posted on 15/8/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
DON'T add up the receipts!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 15/8/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
... ever!

It's Evolution Baby!

locoR1

posted on 15/8/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
DON'T add up the receipts!

Agreed and the most important thing once passed sva/iva and registered destroy all receipts before the wife finds them

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

bigpig

posted on 15/8/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I just did that with my new airsoft rifle. Receipt tucked in the middle of the japanese instruction manual
omega0684

posted on 15/8/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
god knows how much mine has cost but i don't care!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 15/8/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder what the average build cost is!?
slingshot2000

posted on 15/8/10 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Best to say £(wife-pounds) 250, as per the book . £(wife-pounds) values are dependante on cost of;
new kitchens / bathrooms
overseas holidays
dresses
shoes
gardening
decorating
spending time with 'her'family!
Best not to let her see any calculations involving any of the above!

Ivan

posted on 16/8/10 at 03:37 AM Reply With Quote
Why on earth would you want to add up the cost? You don't for drinking and smoking do you - so why do it for your car addiction.
carpmart

posted on 16/8/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Why on earth would you want to add up the cost? You don't for drinking and smoking do you - so why do it for your car addiction.

Can't afford to drink and smoke, not with car addiction!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

RazMan

posted on 16/8/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I made the same mistake and tracked all of my buys in a spreadsheet, mainly so that I could dig up a receipt if Mr SVA wanted one.

All was going well until I happened to glance at the completed total I daren't let SWMBO anywhere near the computer now

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 16/8/10 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
This isn't meant to sound at all nasty, but why all the posts relating to what things cost Franky?

First it was the exhaust post which appeared on here and virtually word-for-word on PH, now this.

Is it Willy waving? Are you scaring yourself?

You spend based on your available finances (notice that I don't say income) and some judgement on the utility that your car/hobby will provide over the period in which you own it, potentially minus a guess as to what you might one day sell it for.

Whether you choose to add it up is your call.

Personally, I can probably estimate what kit cars have cost me since 2005, within a grand or two. My parents, girlfriend and some mates would probably think I'm nuts. Others would say that its very good value for the time spent indulging in my interest and certainly prefereble to, say, sailing or crack.

mrwibble

posted on 16/8/10 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
certainly prefereble to, say, sailing or crack.

bi22le

posted on 16/8/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
What about sailing while on crack?

That must be well expensive

Sort of like building your own car and then trying to race it!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Bluemoon

posted on 16/8/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Added mine up (to a point, as don't include tools).. I was on a budget (4K), nowt wrong with that; my car is not supposed to be expensive (only expensive on my time!!) and it's cheap to look after; all depends on what you want..

Dan

Ivan

posted on 16/8/10 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Gave up sailing for the car - think they are about equally expensive

Not sure about crack - never tried it and never will and don't know the cost. Hate the criminality it breeds.

mrwibble

posted on 16/8/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
you could try converting all your expences into Rubles, i'm aiming for 334,509.15 RUB
Irony

posted on 16/8/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
This isn't meant to sound at all nasty, but why all the posts relating to what things cost Franky?

First it was the exhaust post which appeared on here and virtually word-for-word on PH, now this.

Willy waving? Bit harsh. Just because he's talking about cost doesn't mean he's willy waving. Personally I am surprised there is not more chat about costs on this website given the title of it.

I like the cost topics as it helps me feel better about spending ££££ on my build. If your stingy by nature like me I like to justify the cost of most things on the build. Discussing it with other people can sometimes help reassure you that you haven't been ripped off or made a silly purchase.

Trouble with me is I justify the cost of some items by the phrase 'because it's cool'.

franky

posted on 16/8/10 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You spend based on your available finances (notice that I don't say income) and some judgement on the utility that your car/hobby will provide over the period in which you own it, potentially minus a guess as to what you might one day sell it for.

Whether you choose to add it up is your call.

Personally, I can probably estimate what kit cars have cost me since 2005, within a grand or two. My parents, girlfriend and some mates would probably think I'm nuts. Others would say that its very good value for the time spent indulging in my interest and certainly prefereble to, say, sailing or crack.

Posts about costs? willy waving!? Quite the opposite really, i'd put my build costs at lower than the average but i'm still surprised at how much things add up and quickly

I think you'll see my questions are to find out what I should pay for things as I can't/don't want to pay OTT, the exhaust was a big outlay(to me) so i'm just doing my homework, also for the internet police I post the same questions on PH from time to time to reach a wider number of people, hope thats ok!? quite the opposite of waving my wanger!

[Edited on 16/8/10 by franky]

TimC

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Posts about costs? willy waving!? Quite the opposite really, i'd put my build costs at lower than the average but i'm still surprised at how much things add up and quickly

I think you'll see my questions are to find out what I should pay for things as I can't/don't want to pay OTT, the exhaust was a big outlay(to me) so i'm just doing my homework, also for the internet police I post the same questions on PH from time to time to reach a wider number of people, hope thats ok!? quite the opposite of waving my wanger!

I'll resist the temptation to say "don't get your knickers in a twist" as I appreciate that without the subtle nuances of tone-of-voice and body language its easy to misinterpret intentions. I didn't mean it to be a rhetorical question. Apologies if the message received was not as intended.

That said, since you raise it, I can't help questioning your logic of checking VFM once you've agreed for someone to do the work, which appears to be what you did with the exhaust.

franky

posted on 17/8/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I'll resist the temptation to say "don't get your knickers in a twist" as I appreciate that without the subtle nuances of tone-of-voice and body language its easy to misinterpret intentions. I didn't mean it to be a rhetorical question. Apologies if the message received was not as intended.

That said, since you raise it, I can't help questioning your logic of checking VFM once you've agreed for someone to do the work, which appears to be what you did with the exhaust.

No worries, peace and love all round

I had been given a price for the exhaust(approx) however I wanted to find out what would be a fair price for the system, which it was!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.