Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FORD Focus 1.6 ZETEC Petrol - Anybody ?
perksy

posted on 3/1/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
FORD Focus 1.6 ZETEC Petrol - Anybody ?

Just wondered if anybody has had a Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Petrol ?

Going to be changing the Tin top this year and was thinking of one of these ( Budget around 5k for a 2005 or 2006 Plate )

Looked at the Diesel version But as the Boss only does 5k miles a year i don't think it would be worth it

Any info Appreciated

Cheers
perksy

zetec

posted on 3/1/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Got a 2002 earlier shape. Can feel a bit lacking if full loaded but fine for round town. I do 20K miles a year and get 40MPG for a mix of town/motorway driving to/from work. Second Focus and got rid of my last at 180K and still went fine. They do have a few things play up but nothing to worry about. Great cars, cheap and plenty about to choose from.
johnq

posted on 3/1/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a 54 plate facelift model 1.6zetec 53000miles £2650 ebay bargain,good fun liveley nippy

looks like rain again

Ninehigh

posted on 3/1/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Don't see any reason not to get the diesel version just because of your mileage.

Just saying no need to rule it out if the right one comes along.

repper

posted on 3/1/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a 03 plate ST170 yours for £3500

mrwibble

posted on 3/1/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
another vote for the foci, but 1.6 is still the sigma engine with the cast iron block apparently. if it was me i'd be trying to eek my budget out for a duratec.
Russell

posted on 3/1/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I keep getting the Focus 1.6 as a hire car for 500 mile round trips to the London area. Good ride comfort, good handling. The Style model is poverty spec but the Zetec is pretty decent and appears to include the heated front screen, which is fab.
The 1.6 has acceptable performance and struggles to better 38mpg on my motorway journeys. During the snowy weather and motorway speeds down to 45-55mph the mpg crept up to 40, which may be OK for a petrol car but I'm used to mid-50's from my Golf diesel. Overall, a decent motor though.

Bit of a design flaw on all newer model Focuses. The screen wash bottle is in the O/S wing and has a tendency to freeze since it gets no warmth from the engine bay. Ford thoughtfully provides heated washer jets (on the Zetec) but they are useless if the washer motor is frozen solid. Duh! OK, it's probably something to do with the hire company saving money by filling the bottle up with plain water as well...

It's French and a bit ugly but don't rule out the Peugeot 308 diesel as well. By far the best hire car I have had recently. 58mpg when hammered, pulls well, nice smooth engine, quiet and extremely comfortable.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

serieslandy

posted on 3/1/11 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 1.6L 06 focus and struggle to get 33mpg out of it according to the computer.

The pump says 260miles £40.

I should have gone for the diesel but i think it would have had to be a 1.8 if I had

MikeR

posted on 3/1/11 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Got the 05 facelift diesel 2.0.

Do mostly 'town' driving and i get around 42 / 43mpg. G/f only seems to get 38+ ............. ????

Make sure if you do go diesel you don't get a DPF version - otherwise you need to give it a good long run once in X (no idea what X is) to clear out the filter otherwise they clog up.

On a motorway run, fully loaded with g/f, dog, clothes, christmas presents, food etc (i mean full, footwells ramed etc), aircon on and i got 48+ mpg. Empty, no aircon i did get 52mpg. Being silly i drove at 55mph from London once and got something like 82mpg.

Biggest issue i've had is with my local 'independent ford expert'. Had the idle valve go which was replaced under warrenty with some moaning from him about the warrenty company. Done the duel mass / clutch due to having a miss diagnosed engine mount replaced (box had to come off so seemed wise to have those bits replaced) - spat feathers when he told me after having the car in to diagnose the fault that there was nothing wrong with the mount but he still went ahead and did 1100 quids work replacing the other stuff ....... i could go on about other stuff but its him, not the car).

My biggest gripe is probably that the sun visor has a gap next to the automatic wiper / headlights section which lets the sun in on a drive.

Ninehigh

posted on 4/1/11 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by repper
ive got a 03 plate ST170 yours for £3500

Swap for an 05 Mondeo?

MikeRJ

posted on 4/1/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've had several Mk2 1.6 Focus's as hire cars and they have all been complete slugs, for a modern car I was surprised at just how slow it was.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.