Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What engine shall I put in?
rich.h44

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
What engine shall I put in?

Hi guys well iv been thinking all day on what engine to put in the chasiss, I was thinking a 4x4 Cosworth or Honda S2000 then I started thinking what about what engines could fit so here's my list!
• scooby engine (it's a small ish engin and low!)
• audi TT quatro 225bhp
• VW Passat (there mounted long ways) mated with audi TT box
then I thought outside the box iv allways tried to been differant so......

A diesel kit car!(please don't hate mr I know wrong!)
• skoda vrs 150bhp
• 306 dturbo engine not sure what box would fit it!

What do you think? Have I lost the plot? Or are some of them possibile?

Kind regards
rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PSpirine

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've thought about the DTurbo route as well. You can always get a 406 2.1 DTurbo engine as well - same block I believe! 1.9 can be tuned to around 110hp without opening it up.

Should mate to an LDV gearbox as I believe they used peugeot engines..

JAMSTER

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
how about this

http://westfield-world.com/Pix/fea/pr7.jpg

dlatch

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
• scooby engine (it's a small ish engin and low!)
• audi TT quatro 225bhp

either of those should be fun

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeanStone

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
a £300 remap will give that vrs engine 180hp and 300+lbft of torque. plus you could optimise the map for drivablility in a kit car and try and avoid that torque and power spike
rich.h44

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Iv got a 306 and it's tuned when done properly like mine you can see upto 140-150bhp mine it's 139.7bhp 290 lb and that's still on the standard top mount intercooler, there is much differance in the 1.9 and 2.1!
Thanks for the link I'll have a look!

dilley

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAMSTER
how about this

http://westfield-world.com/Pix/fea/pr7.jpg

Is there any more info on this? I am a diesel man through and through! Quite fancy a merc 3.2 6 pot as a donor....275bhp withn a remap!

repper

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
i have a mate ho is selling his subaru wrx 2.0 turbo £1500 for the full car with MOT he has just got a new one and was offered £1500 as apart ex but chose to keep the car in sted may be to do a kit car him self but has not got round to it
if your intrested U2U me and ill give you his number

rich.h44

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Haha yes a lot of fun I don't like scoobys but you have got to admit the noise they is awesome,
but a TT on boost with as zorst n air filter sounds great to!
If I put any of these engines in the would remain standard due to them being quick already!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Would you really want a massive, heavy iron block diesel engine in a kit car? I have a 406 DT, its fine for hacking to work but its just about the last engine I'd put in a lightweight sports car.

The only Diesel engine I would possibly consider is maybe one of the new breed of small capacity lightweight TDi's, my sister had a 1.4 TDI Polo 3 cylinder and that was a cracking little engine. VW even did a bluemotion mid-engine sports car concept with that engine.

On a petrol note what about a VW 2.0 16V ABF engine from a MK3 Golf 16V, the cars can be bought for peanuts and its a truly great engine.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mcerd1

posted on 12/1/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the problem with the scooby was its width

as for the VAG engines (audi / VW) ones you can use ford boxes (type 9) with a custom bellhousing

a while back in PPC mag they did a westfield with a VAG 1.9 TD - I think he used a toyta supra box with an adapter kit from the states (could work for other VAG engines..)

come to think of it scootz might still have audi RS4 V8 for sale - I'm sure it would be fun if your budget would stretch to it linky

-

rich.h44

posted on 12/1/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Would you really want a massive, heavy iron block diesel engine in a kit car? I have a 406 DT, its fine for hacking to work but its just about the last engine I'd put in a lightweight sports car.

The only Diesel engine I would possibly consider is maybe one of the new breed of small capacity lightweight TDi's, my sister had a 1.4 TDI Polo 3 cylinder and that was a cracking little engine. VW even did a bluemotion mid-engine sports car concept with that engine.

On a petrol note what about a VW 2.0 16V ABF engine from a MK3 Golf 16V, the cars can be bought for peanuts and its a truly great engine.

I agree with the abf but the gearbox linkage/cables are a pain as are the peddle box for snaping!

rich.h44

posted on 12/1/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

as for the VAG engines (audi / VW) ones you can use ford boxes (type 9) with a custom bellhousing

a while back in PPC mag they did a westfield with a VAG 1.9 TD - I think he used a toyta supra box with an adapter kit from the states (could work for other VAG engines..)

come to think of it scootz might still have audi RS4 V8 for sale - I'm sure it would be fun if your budget would stretch to it linky

you have got me thinking now thanks for the info! I'm not sure about the scooby engine I'd like to look into it abit more

mcerd1

posted on 12/1/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rich.h44
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

you have got me thinking now thanks for the info! I'm not sure about the scooby engine I'd like to look into it abit more

type 9 bellhousing linky: http://www.tigersportscars.nl/bellhousing_(e).htm

or this guy used a cossie T5 on a 1.8T: http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3004

and have a look on the PPC mag forum for stuff about the westfield diesel (supra box)....

-

hootsno1

posted on 12/1/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
How about 2.2tdci from a ford galaxy, has 176bhp as standard i had a re-map on mine and got 201bhp and better mpg
eddie99

posted on 12/1/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Vag Engine, i have a S3 with the 210bhp 1.8 turbo, would be fun in a kitcar for sure and lots of tuning options for the future...

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
adithorp

posted on 12/1/11 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say that the extra weight of a diesel up front is going to make a mess of the weight distribution and ruin the handling.

Stick with a petrol.

Scooby is generally too wide to fit without major chassis mod's I believe.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mookaloid

posted on 12/1/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec is the way to go

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

martyn_16v

posted on 12/1/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As much as I do love them, they aren't all that compared with some other similar engines of the time, like the XE, 4AGE etc. If you're going to go to the trouble of getting a rwd gearbox onto a VAG engine you may as well go for the 1.8T, it has much more potential for sillyness. A zetec has similar potential for power to a VAG 16v, but will be a whole load easier and cheaper to get into a seven.

I had a succession of 16v KR/9A/6A Golf's prior to the Indy (hence the username), and was really set on using the 9A engine I had at the time (running nicely on GSXR throttles on Megasquirt way back when no one had even heard of it ), but it didn't take me long to work out that I'd be saving myself a whole load of aggro and have more scope to get silly later on by using something else instead.

[Edited on 12/1/11 by martyn_16v]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 12/1/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
quote:

As much as I do love them, they aren't all that compared with some other similar engines of the time, like the XE, 4AGE etc. If you're going to go to the trouble of getting a rwd gearbox onto a VAG engine you may as well go for the 1.8T, it has much more potential for sillyness. A zetec has similar potential for power to a VAG 16v, but will be a whole load easier and cheaper to get into a seven.

I had a succession of 16v KR/9A/6A Golf's prior to the Indy (hence the username), and was really set on using the 9A engine I had at the time (running nicely on GSXR throttles on Megasquirt way back when no one had even heard of it ), but it didn't take me long to work out that I'd be saving myself a whole load of aggro and have more scope to get silly later on by using something else instead.

[Edited on 12/1/11 by martyn_16v]

I don't agree with all of that, I had a 4AGE powered MR2 before the Golf and the Golf smashed it into the weeds in terms of performance.

Also you are talking about a 9A engine, I found both the KR's and ABF's I owned to be hugely superior to it, the ABF powered Golf I had was one of most pleasant automotive surprises. It did 205'000 miles, then 5 track days, then I sold it and it did around 15 more trackdays and was still showing 148bhp on the rolling road according to the new owners. The car was quicker than a 1.8T Powered Octavia VRS on a RWYB as well.

I expected that car to be rubbish after all the bashings the MK3 Golf got in the press but the 2.0 16V ABF was a cracking motor.

flak monkey

posted on 12/1/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Scoobydoo engine wont fit in a seven, too wide and you wont get any bracking in the chassis.

I wouldnt go for a diesel, the gearing is all wrong for a sports car IMO. Performance daily drivers they are excellent, but really not for a sports car.

Duratec is the way....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

rich.h44

posted on 13/1/11 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Just want to say a big thanks for all the input I'm going to do a lot of reading and reserch on all that has been sugested!
I might be able to get hold of a scooby engine that's blown up to try and see if and were it does and doesn't fit! Been looking at TT's but there just out of my budget! So it could be a cossie lump!

Someone said about useing the type9 box with the vag engine, I'd like to use all the vag stuff and run it as 4wd if I could!

Simon

posted on 13/1/11 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I'd say that the extra weight of a diesel up front is going to make a mess of the weight distribution and ruin the handling.

What's the weight penalty of a modern diesel over a Pinto...

Couple more add-ons like a turbo, but hey, people fit cossie lumps

Personally, I'd go Rover V8

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 13/1/11 by Simon]

Yazza54

posted on 13/1/11 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Don't ruin your car by putting a horrible heavy diesel lump in. You'll compromise the handling massively and low revs/torque just isn't what a lightweight sports car is about. Not that it'll be light if you fit a diesel anyway..

Also, how does a type 9 cope with that kind of power? I'd be going T5 with that kind of torque seen as though every engine mentioned in the OP is turbo'd

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

Peteff

posted on 13/1/11 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Make a decision and put something nice and easy or simple and affordable that will not need lots of extra fabrication and expensive bellhousing modifications. I think you've lost the Locost plot looking at diesel engines and Subarus.

[Edited on 13/1/11 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.