Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wilwood or highspec rear brakes??
needforspeed

posted on 14/1/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
wilwood or highspec rear brakes??

swaping my heavy sierra rear brakes to either wilwood or high spec twin pistons but which!!??
daniel mason

posted on 14/1/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
how much weight are you hoping to save by doing this?

repper

posted on 14/1/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
wilwood all day for me

scootz

posted on 14/1/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi-spec make a good caliper, but if their customer service is anything like the last time I dealt with them, then I'd avoid!

I ordered a set and the delivery date came and went... they lost the order... and then the second one!

It's Evolution Baby!

Hellfire

posted on 14/1/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
The Sierra rear calipers aren't actually that heavy and the weight saving isn't worth the cost of Hi-Specs or Wilwoods IMHO. They do look good though.....

Phil

daniel mason

posted on 14/1/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
^^ that was my original thought. not overly heavy but dont look quite as nice! braking capability the sierras are more than adequate.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/1/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I went for the Hi spec's on my Indy R, not cheap, but they do look nice.

needforspeed

posted on 14/1/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
yeah they do look well! i felt a small twin piston think it was a dynapro and weighed nothing compared to the sierra caliper/carrier well thats what i thought will weigh them tomo for what i can sell them for i wont have to put much towards.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/1/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Let me know if you want wilwood as i have a special buy on them, which i can sort out for you still.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

RazMan

posted on 14/1/11 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I was also fell into the bling trap - I now wished that I kept the old calipers. One point to watch is that the braking efficiency of the Wilwoods calipers (and possibly others too) is not as good as the bog standard Sierra rear handbrake calipers - the handbrake is crap too, so don't leave it on a hill without putting it in gear first!

I had to change the m/c to a smaller size to get my rear brakes back and you will find that the 'swept area' on the standard disc is not using all of the Wilwood pads, therefore even less efficient. I might even look at getting some custom discs & bells in the future. All hail the Bling God

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
needforspeed

posted on 14/1/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
nightmare! the bling god rules us all!!
needforspeed

posted on 14/1/11 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
another problem i have is the front brakes locking up far too easily any ideas?
RazMan

posted on 14/1/11 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly why I need to get the rear brakes working better with bigger discs. An in-line restrictor would only make the pedal scary-hard. Have you adjusted your bias bar (assuming you have one of course)

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
needforspeed

posted on 14/1/11 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
yeah anymore to the back and it gets a little twitchy! im reducing the size of the fronts anyhow as im using 13s now so il see how the wilwoods are when its all back together and go from there
Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/1/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by needforspeed
another problem i have is the front brakes locking up far too easily any ideas?

U2U replied

Have you got solid or vented discs at the front?

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

needforspeed

posted on 14/1/11 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
theyre vented on the front 280 mm i think with wilwood calipers
Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/1/11 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Vented are no good for these cars...

You need to change to Solid Discs so you can get some heat into them.

I'll enquire about price on solid discs and adapter brackets if you like.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Steve Hignett

posted on 15/1/11 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Will take a photo of the HiSpec's I've fitted this week tomorrow and post it here, they seem like a good caliper...
needforspeed

posted on 15/1/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
yeah that would be great thanks! funily enough ben i was thinking of changeing them to solid disks! just need to strip a caliper to see what machinings involved
RazMan

posted on 15/1/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Ben - Interesting that you think changing to solid discs would decrease the braking efficiency and improve the imbalance described. Surely vented discs will just stop fading when really hot - not usually a problem on light cars such as ours. Surely solid discs would just improve low speed braking if anything, probably making the imbalance worse?

Quite often the change from vented to solid is just a case of changing the disc and removing a caliper spacer. Incidentally I would be interested in such a kit too, I want to move to solid discs to reduce unsprung weight.

[Edited on 15-1-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/1/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Vented discs wont get hot, so they are basically on or off. Braking on our cars relys on getting heat into the brakes to produce controlled braking.

If you look at F1 cars, if they dont get their brakes hot they just lock up. I'm talking about when Richard Hammond drove that F1 car and he wasnt going fast enough to heat up the brakes so he was locking them up into ever corner because they werent controllable.

You need heat ! Vented wont heat.

I have exactly the same problem on my car, vented discs are crap.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

RazMan

posted on 15/1/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
F1 cars use CRC (Carbon Reinforced Carbon) discs and pads so I don't think you can compare them with our steel discs and Mintex pads as the friction co-efficients are totally different

Having said that I can appreciate some of what you are saying, but still think solid discs will mainly just improve low speed efficiency. For example I notice in freezing cold weather that my vented discs are very slow to 'bite' and only start to really work when stomped on at high(ish) speeds. When they are warm they work better, but after a few hundred metres they are cold again.

In short, solid discs will be better round town - vented are really better for track use when the pads are in the upper temperature range and start to risk fading

[Edited on 15-1-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/1/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you have a heavy ass car with a heavy ass engine you will never produce enough heat in vented discs to make them better than solid discs.

All my sprinting friends, track day goers swear by solid discs. What ever the theory applied evidence shows solid discs work better for our cars. Simples.

That's why they are recommended by wilwood and many kit manufactures.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

BobM

posted on 15/1/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
The Hi-Specs have a bad rep amongst the RGB racers. Main complaints have been around levels of service from the company, reliability, the apparent lack of rigidity of the calipers (resulting in uneven pad wear) and lack of braking feel. Wilwood are de rigeur with the RGBers.

I got on fine with the Hi-Specs on my Fury Busa for a couple of seasons but the handbrake was always pretty much useless - so useless in fact that at Cadwell I did a race with the handbrakes on without noticing until the friction eventually caused enough heat to melt the caliper pistons resulting in a small bonfire around my left rear. It also gave a dramatically soggy pedal and brown nomex ...

The other problem I had was when the little seals within the handbrake mechanism (it's an incredibly complex system utilising a tiny haydraulic cylinder and piston within the caliper) failed resulting in the brakes staying on once they got got. This also gave me a couple of interesting experiences.

I swapped to standard Sierra calipers which are heavier but work great and I even have a usable handbrake now. I've since fixed the Hi-Specs but they remain in a box as spares and I don't plan to swap them back.

The Wilwoods are pretty light, very nicely made, you can get them and all the pads etc. from Rally Design who give excellent service. The only drawback is that their handbrake isn't as effective as a standard Sierra caliper either. You also have a range of pad compounds to choose from depending on your application.

Regarding solid versus vented disks the 'need to get heat into them before they work' argument only applies if you're using a very race focussed pad. I don't believe it's an issue for most of us, certainly mine work fine from cold, the limiting factor actually being tyre temperature. When the tyres are cold they lock up very easily (Yoko AO48s) but improve within a lap or two.

Not very Locost but very BEC

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 17/1/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland

If you look at F1 cars, if they dont get their brakes hot they just lock up. I'm talking about when Richard Hammond drove that F1 car and he wasnt going fast enough to heat up the brakes so he was locking them up into ever corner because they werent controllable.

Thats nothing to do with the brakes, thats the tyres. If you don't heat the tyres they have nearly zero grip and even cold ceramic brakes are hugely effective.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.