Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Zealand 7 Rules
Guinness

posted on 7/3/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
New Zealand 7 Rules

Can any of our Kiwi builders help with some advice? I'm considering a move to NZ at some point in the future.

What are the rules about importing / building a 7 in NZ?

I have an MK Indy, with a bike engine in it. It's been road registered since 2007 / passed SVA.

Would I be able to import it?

Would it need an engineers report?

Would I need to change from a bike engine to a car engine in order to get it road registered in NZ?

Or would I be best off selling it and building another (Caterham / Westfield 7 type) in NZ?

Cheers

Mike

TimC

posted on 7/3/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Purely out of interest, where are you thinking of going? Liked NZ a LOT!

scudderfish

posted on 7/3/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into this a number of years back (2003 ish). From what I remember the NZ equiv of SVA has to be done in Aukland. This is the site of a local 7 manufacturer http://www.fraser.co.nz/

iank

posted on 7/3/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Some useful links
http://www.constructorscarclub.org.nz/
http://roadrat.isprettyawesome.com/ (try a u2u to Ratman)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blueskate

posted on 8/3/11 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I've been looking into this too. From what I can find out the Wishbones on the front of the MK don't meet NZ requirements. Take a look here :

Linky

This bit :
with regards to certification the paperwork side of things was not too bad, I had to answer questions on a form and give details of the build. Particular interest was requested with regards to the front wishbones and steering, suspension geometry, this is done from a safety point of view but also to ensure the car will be driveable once completed. The front wishbones had to be tig welded and then crack tested, this is not a requirement in the UK the wishbones are mig welded and no testing is required. I had the wishbones tack welded in the UK then sent them up to Fraser cars in Auckland who did the tig welding and also got them crack tested at the same time.

If you have owned the car for longer than 12 months you shouldn't need to pay duty on the import.

BEC's don't seem to be very popular in NZ for some reason. I'm still playing with the idea of selling my MK and buying a cobra when i'm out there (not many tracks near to where i plan on living and imho the roads don't tend to lend themselves well to a small revvy kit car)

hope this helps

Semper Paratus!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.