Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Oils advice ??
tompat3463

posted on 8/4/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Oils advice ??

Hi.. Im wanting to do a bit if a service on my MK blade engine and was wondering if anyone could give advice on what part to service ??

Also I cant seem to find where the engine oil filler is located ???

Also. which oils do I need for engine, gearbox ?? and how much oil for each part ??

MAny thanks Alan

koiking125

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblades run a wet clutch, so the gearbox and engine oil are all in one. You will need around 4ltrs of semi synthetic oil if you change the filter at the same time, dont forget to get a new sump washer.

The oil filler is located on the right hand end of the engine as you stand looking at the engine bay from the drivers side. Its a black screw plug on top of the cluch casing.

Most reccomend to overfill by 200ml to help with oil surge.

Hope that helps

Kev

MK Owners Club Member (Frosty) No.1159

ReMan

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I always use Halfords semi synth bike oil, good vaue and the sell the champion filters too 301 from memory

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

tompat3463

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks for the help.. This may sound stupid but is there a fill level or something ?? how do I know how much oil is in ??
koiking125

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Under the filler, facing towards the rad is a glass window at the bottom of the cluch housing, you might find its easier to see with a mirror.

MK Owners Club Member (Frosty) No.1159

van cleef

posted on 9/4/11 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
I filled mine last night.

You'll find a wee window on the cluth cover end, your supposed to fill it until it hit's half way up the window but i took mine just below the maimum mark at the top of the window.it was easy for me as the engine is out ready to go in.

I also used semi synthetic as it was advised to me by the local Honda bike retail outlet.

joni

posted on 9/4/11 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
engine oil

i race a 929 blade engine i use millers semi 10/40 oil and allways use a high flow filter the filters in halfords seam to unscrew themselfs and the oil is crap my friend was using it he is now on his 3rd engine

millers is for a bike engine with a wet clutch very good oil holds good pressure

brookie

posted on 9/4/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
all i can say is the 10/40s/s oil for bikes is same as 10/40s/s for cars
prawnabie

posted on 9/4/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Dont be silly, car oil in a bike will wreck the clutch in no time!
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brookie
all i can say is the 10/40s/s oil for bikes is same as 10/40s/s for cars

More good reasons why you don't want to use car oil in bikes
http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Q: IS AUTOMOTIVE MOTOR OIL BAD FOR A MOTORCYCLE?

A: Not bad, but probably not the best. Why not? It is designed in reverse order to a motorcycle oil. The priority hierarchy of automotive motor oil is: (1) Maximize fuel economy. (2) Reduce emissions. (3) Offer protection for the moving parts. Today's automotive motor oils do not have the same degree of extreme pressure and anti-wear agents that they did just a decade ago."

Q: WILL AUTOMOTIVE MOTOR OIL HURT MY BIKE?

A: It could. If you're using an automotive motor oil in your racing four-stroke, you're not buying the best protection. An API SL oil is missing vital anti-wear components: the most common being zinc, phosphorus and sulfur. These agents are harmful to the catalyst that is used to diminish the level of pollutants in automobile exhaust.

Q: WILL AUTOMOTIVE OIL HURT MY CLUTCH?

A: Yes. The friction modifiers in motor oil improve fuel economy by making it easier for the gears, bearings, pistons and rings to slip, slide and turn inside the engine. Unfortunately, these friction-minimizing agents also make it easier for the clutch in a motorcycle to slip. If you are using automotive motor oil in your bike, apart from CRFs, you are losing hook-up and acceleration, as well as reducing the life of the clutch.

Q: WHY SHOULD I MEMORIZE THE ACRONYM "JASO"?

A: As soon as it became apparent that the American government was mandating economy over protection, the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) developed a standard specifically for performance fourstroke motorcycles. JASO designates two different four-stroke oil classifications: MA and MB. The MB oil is low friction and the MA is sans the friction enhancers.

Q: WHY ARE MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC OILS BETTER?

A: Motorcycle specific oils are pumped up with five times the anti-wear, anti-scuff and extreme pressure additives of regular motor oil. As an added plus, motorcycle oil does not include molybdenum disulfide and other friction modifiers that wreak havoc on clutch performance.

Maxima, a popular motorcycle oil supplier, starts with an API SG Service Category base oil, the last formulation that wasn't regulated as to the amount of zinc-dialkyldithiophosphate (zinc, phosphorus and sulfur) it could contain. Maxima then boosts protection through a proprietary mix of performance additives. The end result is a motorcycle oil that doesn't break down under extreme heat and is tough enough to cushion meshing gears.

Q: WHICH FOUR-STROKE RACING OIL SHOULD I USE?

A: If the bottle of oil doesn't list that it is an API SG Service Category or JASO MA spec, it's not good enough for your motocross bike. Although a bottle of oil might say "motorcycle specific" or "safe in wet clutches," the best endorsement is the API SG or JASO MA designation. It's better to be safe than sorry.

[Edited on 9/4/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 9/4/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tompat3463
ok thanks for the help.. This may sound stupid but is there a fill level or something ?? how do I know how much oil is in ??

Depends, if it's an old one then dipstick in the filler screw

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

brookie

posted on 10/4/11 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

im only saying what the bloke said from my local motor factors when i said what the diffrance between 10/40 bike oil and 10/40 car oil he said about £5 and the only diffrance is 1 says bike oil and 1 says car oil so only going what he said and he runs both cars and bikes

britishtrident

posted on 10/4/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Modern high tech car oil are no go but older lower spec car mineral or semi oils should be fine API spec SE or SF or SG or earlier.

ReMan

posted on 10/4/11 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind to that proper old bikes would have a seperate gearbox and sometimes clutch oil too.
In which case the engine oil would be perfectly good in both

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

britishtrident

posted on 10/4/11 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brookie
quote:

im only saying what the bloke said from my local motor factors when i said what the diffrance between 10/40 bike oil and 10/40 car oil he said about £5 and the only diffrance is 1 says bike oil and 1 says car oil so only going what he said and he runs both cars and bikes

Modern spec car oils are designed not to harm catalysts and lambda sensor and reduce emission's while allowing extended service intervals because of this the feed stock and additives blended into them aren't compatible with bike engines and clutches.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.