Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Minor Rant - manners
zilspeed

posted on 18/6/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Minor Rant - manners

To all those who only post to ask questions, usually asked in a fairly blunt manner, could you maybe think about contributing a bit more by return, that's how it works.

There have been a fair few recently where it's been very much along the lines of :-

"I want to do this but don't know how, tell me how to do it."
Or
"What bit fits this bit, tell me part nos now."

I used to contribute to a few threads where I thought I could offer some genuinely usefull advice. Then I noticed a pattern developing whereby the one or two posters concerned only ever come on and pretty much demand the information and never ever follow it up with any form of other posting, or a thank you or anything else by way of feeding back to the forum.

I know that good manners don't naturally come to everyone, but a litlle humility and maybe a even a please would get you much further.

You might also think about making some of your posts ones where you give back as well. It has to be two way traffic for it all to work for everyone.

Which leads me to for sale posts.

Joining just to sell your stuff and contributing nothing other than a handfull of posts where you want to sell stuff is even less cool. As above, try a little bit of a contribution by way of gving back help or advice. That's how it works.

I speak only for myself here.
If I think I can help anyone out, I will.
However, if it's one way traffic and you're only going to 'take' from the forum, then as far as I'm concerned you can phuque right off.

If you're reading this and know it isn't you then you're cool.
We all know oursleves how we behave.

That is all.
Feel free to ignore all of the above.

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/6/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with the idea of what your saying Zil, but there are other forums where you have to dredge the interesting stuff out of a load of nonsense.

So in my opinion there is also a good side to the users who don't want to contribute not just posting hot air.

also other forums have minimum number of posts before you can sell stuff.

Sounds like a good idea until you end up with all the new guys replying

"LOL"

to every thread they find.

I dislike "LOL" at the best of times.

Just another view point - though I agree with the principle of what your saying.

mr_pr

posted on 18/6/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I see the point about people just asking questions but just coming on to sell? If they are selling bits that would benefit forum users... What is the issue?

Anyway.... surely there is something a little more serious to get bothered about in your life? (If not I am a wee bit envious of you!)

My Build Progress

zilspeed

posted on 18/6/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr_pr
Yeah I see the point about people just asking questions but just coming on to sell? If they are selling bits that would benefit forum users... What is the issue?

Anyway.... surely there is something a little more serious to get bothered about in your life? (If not I am a wee bit envious of you!)

You're quite correct, there are much more important things to get bothered about.

owelly

posted on 18/6/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO, if you've got nowt worth saying, then say nowt. I had a rant the other day about a bloke on ppcmag.co.uk/forum who 'contributes' so much drivel, that any useful info has been diluted into pages of pointless posts.
So for folks that have nothing to give, let them keep it.
PS. Sorry if it was me who has no manners.....8-0

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hootsno1

posted on 18/6/11 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
OK lets try it this way.
Im building a GBS ZERO and using a 2.0 duratec engine this is my first build and am not sure about what fuel pumps to use as the search facility is not coming up with any threads,
what im not sure about is what gals/hr i should use 12/18/25? road /fast road/race. Facet or Rmd.
DO i need a Interupter and which Psi 4.0-4.5/5.0-6.5/6.5-7.25?
Many thanks to any one that can help me.
Mark.
Is this more to your liking

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

zilspeed

posted on 18/6/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hootsno1
OK lets try it this way.
Im building a GBS ZERO and using a 2.0 duratec engine this is my first build and am not sure about what fuel pumps to use as the search facility is not coming up with any threads,
what im not sure about is what gals/hr i should use 12/18/25? road /fast road/race. Facet or Rmd.
DO i need a Interupter and which Psi 4.0-4.5/5.0-6.5/6.5-7.25?
Many thanks to any one that can help me.
Mark.
Is this more to your liking

No improvement necessary IMHO.

That's because your posts were already polite anyway.
An introduction, please and thank you go a very long way.
Seeing as you were already doing that...

P.S. Sorry I can't specifically help with your Duratec question, but I'm sure someone who has actual experience of this will be able to assist.

Owelly, come on now.....
You know it's not you.

mistergrumpy

posted on 18/6/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Owelly. If you've nowt to say, then say nowt.
Since I SVA'd the car I don't seem to need as many answers as I did and a lot of what I learned during the build is being pushed out of my head by other stuff now so that's why I tend not to comment a lot on threads.
The other reasons are:

That if I see there are like 10 replies, then I'll not bother. The issues more than likely been answered.

If I'm not sure, then I'd rather keep quiet than offer wrong advice.

There are a lot of people that seem to over do things in their build imo. For example bolts strengths. Some people will use the manufacturer types and some people will use nothing but solid chunks of the moon for their bolts and everyone else is wrong if they don't so I try and steer clear of them posts.

Since my build things seem to have moved onwards a lot for example the majority of BEC's are now fuel injection R1's whereas when I was building it was a lot of carbed ZX9's and Fireblades and then there's suspension issues and bellcranks and pushrods which I never used so I don't get involved much here either.

The other posts I now steer clear of are generally the "non car related" posts where it seems to be coming more popular for people to post their personal problems where they have cocked up somewhere or been caught doing something and simply will not accept blame and are not willing to pay the subsequent consequences. A lot of misinformation and "IMO" posts get added and then usually the obligatory "all cops/traffic wardens/customer service people are w***ers" posts begin. Fine, if you've a genuine problem and even better if there's a genuine answer but otherwise I'll steer clear again.

I still log on here every day though when I can and maybe it's just a sign of the evolution of the site and I'm just a grumpy sod!

AndyW

posted on 18/6/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
So are we now having our posts checked, then depending on the "manners" we have used, depends if certain people reply?

As others, seriously, there are many more things to worry about in life than this.....

mistergrumpy

posted on 18/6/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ha. It reminds me of the time posts were checked for spelling and grammatical mistakes by a certain ex poster.
Confused but excited.

posted on 18/6/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps some of the people that contribute very little, are like me.
I joined the forum to learn because I know nowt about owt, when it comes to cars and decided to build one, as it seemed the best way to learn about them. Also because Ron's book as it stands, is wee useless, other than to whet your appetite.
I have on a few occasions been happy to be able to help other Locosters with the odd idea as a result of my long and varied experience and in a couple of cases with parts.
I agree that when making a request of others one should at least extend the common courtesies, but some of us can only ask questions because we don't have the knowledge base or experience with cars yet.
There is a natural process wherebye ignorant little sh1ts don't get anwers.
Simples.

Oops and I can't type either.

[Edited on 18/6/11 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

zilspeed

posted on 18/6/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
So are we now having our posts checked, then depending on the "manners" we have used, depends if certain people reply?

As others, seriously, there are many more things to worry about in life than this.....

Not from here you won't.

It's really no big deal.

omega0684

posted on 18/6/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
since my post was before yours, im wondering whether it was mine now

can see where your coming from though, do you find its more with newer members or even some of the established members?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 18/6/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
since my post was before yours, im wondering whether it was mine now

can see where your coming from though, do you find its more with newer members or even some of the established members?

I think it would be unfair to comment but will, if I may, answer your point in an oblique manner and leave it up to you to interpret as you choose.

Time was when people used to comment on how Locostbuilders was very atypical of your usual internet forum in that people generally behave like adults and treat everyone very fairly and act just like they do in real life. You know, the usual stuff, please, thank you, you've helped me, how can I help you etc. Two way traffic, if you ask for advice and get it, at least have the decency to comment your thanks or understanding on the subsequent posts - just like you would in real life.

And, just like Owelly, of course it's not you.

This posting foreshortened at this point for the benefit of the greater LCB community.
(I need to demonstrate that I have a life after all )

Chippy

posted on 18/6/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Biggest gripe I have is when you answer a request for some info, and the ungrateful b*****d doesn't even have the common decency to answer, let alone offer thanks. Oh and people who just come on and demand things don't even get an answer from me, even if I have the parts or info they want. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

David Jenkins

posted on 18/6/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon it's the weather that's making everybody grumpy! Got to be something like that, as this is one of the most civilised forums I've ever had dealings with, IMHO.

Yes, there are occasional PITAs, and now and again names pop up, ask stupid questions and vanish never to be seen again, but on the whole it has a friendly and helpful bunch of members.

I find that ignoring threads that open with drivel postings, or those that develop into pointless arguments, does a lot for my peace of mind.

If you really want to see bad forums, and waste-of-space members, go and look at the ones dealing with tarting up novas and clios... or anything to do with programming...

Macbeast

posted on 18/6/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Chippy. A few people ask for advice about a problem - the nearside grungeplacket spews oil - get lots of advice but never come back to tell the rest of us which of the suggestions worked.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Neville Jones

posted on 18/6/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Biggest gripe I have is when you answer a request for some info, and the ungrateful b*****d doesn't even have the common decency to answer, let alone offer thanks. Oh and people who just come on and demand things don't even get an answer from me, even if I have the parts or info they want. Cheers Ray

I'm with you and Zil on this.

I'm not the most tactful person on earth, but I do know how to say 'please' and 'thank you'.

One youngster on here wanted pics of how to fit a Wilwood pull cylinder to zetec, (quite simple and obvious I thought, but that shows just how bright this youngster offerring engineering and trackside services must be), anyway, I posted pics in my archive. Also a dimensioned drawing as I recall.

Not another word, no thanks, nothing. Pics are now deleted.

Wasn't the first time, probably not the last, but makes a man wary in the future of giving specific help again.

Cheers,
Nev.

eddie99

posted on 18/6/11 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:

One youngster on here wanted pics of how to fit a Wilwood pull cylinder to zetec, (quite simple and obvious I thought, but that shows just how bright this youngster offerring engineering and trackside services must be), anyway, I posted pics in my archive. Also a dimensioned drawing as I recall.

Wasn't the first time, probably not the last, but makes a man wary in the future of giving specific help again.

Cheers,
Nev.

Quite obviously targeted at me. Do not quite understand why you had to post this and couldn't sort out a personal problem via U2U's. Just looked back at my u2u history, I am quite clearly thankful for the pictures to see how it fitted and the dimensioned drawing that i had laser cut to mount one end of it. We had a fair few U2U's passing each others way on bleeding the thing and i again said thanks and was very grateful to have received your assistance. If i come across as not being bright, then hey thats your opinion. And im very sorry that you feel this way and that you since have become wary of giving specific help again to others.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Steve Hignett

posted on 18/6/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:

I'm with you and Zil on this.

I'm not the most tactful person on earth, but I do know how to say 'please' and 'thank you'.

Cheers,
Nev.

This way of asking for help when "you really should know better" was displayed by another forum member too (already mentioned in mistergrumpy's 2nd post), and used to wind the heck out of me me! And I am very much In agreement Nev.

And to you Zil, yes I agree with you mostly. I wouldn't have botheted worrying about It enough to post about it myself though! And there's always the possibility that a lot of personal thanks are carried out VIA u2u?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 19/6/11 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I think its a bit bloody rich when people who are moaning are people who won't put their hand into there pocket and pay just a couple of quid to contribute to what is a damn good quality website which is almost advertisment free.

I suppose being a miserable old git and being tight fisted go hand in hand though.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
russbost

posted on 19/6/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure who the original mini rant was aimed at or even if it was at anyone specific, but I have to come out in support of Eddie99 who's been trashed a couple of comments back.

I have no idea of the ins & outs of the u2u's & posts concerned tho' it would appear from his answer he'd said thanx, but I have to say in my experience he has certainly acted in the spirit of this forum, he recently collected some parts for me on his travels back from Uni & didn't ask for any payment for his trouble (he did get paid but at my request not his!).

It would appear he may have had a "hole" in his knowledge in a particular area, well I'm a manufacturer, but I don't claim to know everything about the manufacture & assembly of a vehicle, anyone who thinks they know everything probably actually knows very little, we all have our strengths & weaknesses, but as Eddie has just completed his first year of engineering at Uni & got a first I think he may be a little brighter than some on this forum ..........................

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

zilspeed

posted on 19/6/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Not sure who the original mini rant was aimed at or even if it was at anyone specific, but I have to come out in support of Eddie99 who's been trashed a couple of comments back.

I have no idea of the ins & outs of the u2u's & posts concerned tho' it would appear from his answer he'd said thanx, but I have to say in my experience he has certainly acted in the spirit of this forum, he recently collected some parts for me on his travels back from Uni & didn't ask for any payment for his trouble (he did get paid but at my request not his!).

It would appear he may have had a "hole" in his knowledge in a particular area, well I'm a manufacturer, but I don't claim to know everything about the manufacture & assembly of a vehicle, anyone who thinks they know everything probably actually knows very little, we all have our strengths & weaknesses, but as Eddie has just completed his first year of engineering at Uni & got a first I think he may be a little brighter than some on this forum ..........................

For the record, I was not referring to Eddie99.

Also for the record, I too have many holes in my knowledge.

Neville Jones

posted on 20/6/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
The usual pops at me from the usual suspects.

I didn't mention the person by name in particular, as there was more than one involved at the time, who could have fitted the bill. If Ed felt a little guilt, then his problem, but it wasn't him in particular I referred to.

Let me put the scene this way, for those who may have 'holes' in their knowledge. This has nothing to do with a lack of knowledge, but lack of reasoning and observation, and simple problem solving ability. Traits needed for a half decent engineer.

Firstly, go on the Rally Design website and acquaint yourself with what a Wilwood clutch pull slave cylinder looks like.

Now look at a type 9 gearbox, and see where the pull cable goes in, and how it operates.

So, the problem is to get the cylinder to do the same job as the cable in the same place.

You take the hemi ball end bit off the cylinder pull rod, and then push the rod through the cable hole (in the bell housing)and the hole in the clutch arm. This then leaves the front end of the cylinder to be attached to something, maybe a bracket. Directly above and forward of the front rodend hole, on the engine block, are two unused holes, perfect for bolting a bracket to.

Up to this point, there's no great intelligence or education needed. All straight forward.

Now you need to connect the top two holes(in the engine block) with a bracket to the cylinder mount hole. A piece of cardboard first, to rough out the bracket and hole positions. Next, make a 3mm ply copy of the adjusted cardboard pattern, make sure it fits properly, then drill the two block holes, and bolt the ply to the block. Move the cylinder to where it fits comfortably (at this point you find out that the hole in the gearbox needs to be opened up with a burr in a die grinder/drill. Now mark the final position for the cylinder bolt. Next take the ply off, transfer holes and outer shape to your piece of flat and cut it out in 10mins with a 115mm grinder with a 1mm disc. (This certainly doesn't need to be cut in a waterjet or laser, for a one off, as was done by the persons involved.)

Still no great education or skills needed at this point, and should be well within the scope of the average locost builder.

Now fettle the bracket to rid the burrs and sharp corners, bolt it to the block and pull cylinder, and job done. Still no great skills and knowledge needed, and never was.

Next comes the killer question of all, how do you bleed a slave cylinder? As if anyone who takes this on should need to ask? First you need to hook up the master cylinder. Which master cylinder should I use? God give me strength.......please....

Give me a break! What I've described above is not anything complicated, and certainly doesn't need a university education, just plain common sense.

And there are some of us on here who actually have more than a couple of 'bits of paper' to prove we've been educated, but then it takes the 35+ years of actually applying the six and more years of tertiary education to be able to make the (maybe unpopular) comments about ungrateful youngsters who are supposed to be knowledgeable and perceptive enough to solve your problems, whilst charging you for the privilege.

As I've admitted, I'm not the most tactful person on earth, and it gets me in trouble often, but life is far too short for holding hands and hugging and pussyfooting about like a bunch of West End poofters!

Cheers,
Nev.

Grumpy old man??? You bet!!! And getting moreso by the day!

Fire away, I'm thick skinned!

[Edited on 20/6/11 by Neville Jones]

eddie99

posted on 20/6/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
May i ask what the issue is with asking how you have done the installation? I never said it was the hardest job in the world. But wanted to see what points on the engine you mounted your bracket on. It happened that your working drawing was useless because the pickup points on my particular engine were different. I don't believe i had 2 unused pickup points for this bracket.

Anyway, I did say thanks and we had a conversation saying that the normal bleeding method wasn't working. Hence why rally design sent me a new part.

Its your choice to use my services or not at the end of the day. Thanks for some of the helpful information you gave me with the clutch anyway....

EDIT: You seem to enjoy exaggerating as well, Did i ever even mention anything about master cylinders??? And when the laser cutting is free and way more accurate than i am with a drill + looks neater, especially when i have no access to the steel. Why is that so bad?

[Edited on 20/6/11 by eddie99]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.