Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me some air tools
hobzy

posted on 24/6/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Recommend me some air tools

The MK is back on the road, so its time to start the Land Rover V8 rebuild project. I have a compressor my Classic car nutter neighbour will lend me, but would like a set of my own tools. Budget but not so cheap they won't last would be great.

Anyone seen any deals or can recommend a set please? ( Dont need sockets) If you can think of a tool I'll need but wouldn't think of naturally then feel free to advise!

I'm sure the LB massive can cover this!

Cheers in advance ladies and Gents...

omega0684

posted on 24/6/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I would definately go for an air riveter and impact wrench/gun

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/6/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Decent impact wrench, and a cheap air ratchet.
Can't comment or an air riviter, guess that is down to how many rivits you have to do
Apart from them, I would be using mainly electrical stuff. Mostly a grinder.
Don't get drawn into the idea that airtools are the be all and end all. They can be noisy and less effective than electrical stuff, plus the compressor will do your head in. Suggest you try a few if the neighbour will lend them, and buy if you think they will actually get used enough to warrant buying.

thefreak

posted on 24/6/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Impact gun is the best invention EVER. As long as you can get it in the space, that bolt is off!
Took 3 hours to try and remove the bottom bolt from the F/O/S suspension. Heat, breaker bar, angle grinder etc and only managed to get it off after grinding the bolt off.
Then went out and replaced my broken gun with a new one, £35 for a Draper (or Clarke, cant remember which) and the other 3 sides were done collectively in the same time I took on the first!

r1_pete

posted on 24/6/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on how far you are going with the landy,

An air chisel is useful for roughing out old panels,

A small high speed sander for cleaning off old spot welds careful use of the angle grider is quicker though.

DA sander for preping the panels for paint

Die grinder, takes a 1/4" shaft, I've made all sorts of useful sanding attachments, as well as bought in burrs and grinding stones.

A Joggler for setting panel edges if you are welding sheet to sheet.

I do tend to favour air tools, even use an air grinder, they may not be quite as quick, but, if they jam there is less chance of injury, and the slower progress leads to better accuracy, but each to his own, I've built my collection of air tools up over 30 years, couldn't justify buying them all for one project if I were starting out from scratch.

Another thing to consider is what the compressor will drive, most tools will need 10 - 15 CFM Free air, at 90+ PSI, so check the specs.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobzy

posted on 24/6/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
All brilliant advice so far, thanks everyone.

Any brands to avoid/look for?

The Landy is a complete strip down and rebuild - probably new chassis. Its been sat for 8 years outside backed into a hedge so is in a right state!

Minimum spec for a compressor (just in case I get tempted)?

Cheers again...

RickRick

posted on 24/6/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've got this
Bluepoint Impact gun/ air gun | eBay UK
for an impact gun not been beaten yet, and the 3 power settings are great, i find lowest setting is fine for doing up wheel nuts, check with a bar after and there about right

posted on 24/6/11 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobzy
All brilliant advice so far, thanks everyone.

Any brands to avoid/look for?

Cheers again...

Just in case you fancy a nibbler........

About 5 years ago I bought one from Northern Tools, cuts on the down stroke.
It lasted a week, about 2 meters of cutting 1mm mild steel, before the bottom anvil snapped.
Phoned NT, and the punch and anvils are consumables and not covered by the guarantee.
"Can I buy one"?
"None in stock. Phone in a couple of weeks."
Many phone calls and 3 months later, still no joy.

Stoneleigh came round and I spotted a Bergen nibbler on a tool stand. Cuts on the up stroke.
"Do you sell spare punches and anvils for them mate"?
"Got some somewhere" he said, and after poking round a few boxes he found them.

He looked at me a bit strange when I ordered the nibbler, 2 punches and an anvil.
"You won't need the anvil. Never known one to break," he said.

So I came away with the tool and two punches.

It's still going strong and the punches are still in a bag, hanging on a nail in the garage, and
I smile every time a Northern Tools catalogue drops through the door and goes straight in the bin.

Cheers,
Paul G

Up stroke is best
Up stroke is best

chrsgrain

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've picked up a nice selection of air tools off ebay over the last few years, some blue point, some snap on, the odd clarke one.... all great!

One thing - you say you don't need sockets - you do know you can't (or at least shouldn't) use normal sockets in an impact wrench don't you?

Impact wrench would be the first thing I would get - restoring a TR4a at the moment, and it makes light work of all the rusty fixings...

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

clairetoo

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
My stock of air tools is -

Impact wrench - 1/2 Ingersol Rand (expensive , but its now 10 years old....)

Riviter - a broken Gesiper one from work which I fixed myself

Air hacksaw - Bergen , bought cheap at a kit car show

Die grinder - again , a Bergen cheapy from a show , and the best one I have bought so far

Aldi have some good offers from time to time - I have their 3" cut off tool , and air shears - both going strong after a good years use (and so cheap its just mad )

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.