Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: i hate kit cars!
pekwah1

posted on 22/3/12 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
i hate kit cars!

God this is ridiculous!!!!!!
One of those days i guess......

But how can i spend 2 hours making a stupid bracket thing for my steering column, get it all fitted and then realise that i've done it wrong and i'll need to start again!!!!!!

So f*&*ing stupid!!!!!

Oh well, guess i better get out there again tomorrow and get cracking!!!

bi22le

posted on 22/3/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
What's new?

Thats how i spend most of my weekends!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

monck

posted on 22/3/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I know the feeling
Johneturbo

posted on 22/3/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to my world!
David Jenkins

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure that half the parts on my car were made and remade quite a few times...

Slimy38

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Think of it this way, the same task for a production car would involve at least four and a half trips to the nearest dealer (by nearest I mean at least twenty miles away) each time being provided with a part that is visually identical but oh-so-slightly different to the last, with the part number being identified by the car chassis number, the number plate and your inside leg measurement. Oh, and have to pay three figure sums for the privilege!

(By the way, the 'half' trip is the one where you are just so peed off at having to go to the dealers yet again that you accidentally leave the part on the kitchen table, only to remember once you've already negotiated half the journey...)

Coopz

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Me too! Until I got her on the road....and to top it off now I miss the building too. Bloody things!
pekwah1

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
yeh i'm just gagging to get on the road now!!!!
I'm definitely in that "90% done now it's only 2 years to finish" stage!!!!

A1

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
measure twice and make it once...

sorry if that sounds really smug, know what you mean though.

Poorscousertommy

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
At least you're getting to make something!! I spend my weekends pacing round it, scratching my head an then go buy more bits to sit in the corner!!
gunman

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar experience making a bracket for my handbrake adjuster, made 4 of them before I had one that worked right.
russbost

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Poorscousertommy
At least you're getting to make something!! I spend my weekends pacing round it, scratching my head an then go buy more bits to sit in the corner!!

I think both this & the OP's comments just go to show that sometimes perhaps it's worth spending a while during lunchtimes or when being forced to watch the box with the old woman to just have a think about what to do next & do some planning &, possibly buy some bits necessary to the next part of the build. There's nothing worse than going out to do a job only to realise you don't have the relevant tool or part to do what you want!

I find that writing stuff down can save a lot of "Dohhh!!!" moments!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
A1

posted on 22/3/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
that works till they ask you a question that you say 'mhmm' to...
chrisbeale

posted on 23/3/12 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
we've all done it, I made my tunnel top 3 times. Each time not realising something wasnt right until i went to fit it, only finding out by fixing the last fault. Its still not perfect but we'll get there eventually
steve m

posted on 23/3/12 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Andy,

Its part of the fun!

I must of done the same thing back in 97-99 when building my locost

I must come over again to see your progress!
and collection of junk brackets

Steve

wilkingj

posted on 26/3/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
quote:
Originally posted by Poorscousertommy

I think both this & the OP's comments just go to show that sometimes perhaps it's worth spending a while during lunchtimes or when being forced to watch the box with the old woman to just have a think about what to do next & do some planning &, possibly buy some bits necessary to the next part of the build. There's nothing worse than going out to do a job only to realise you don't have the relevant tool or part to do what you want!

I find that writing stuff down can save a lot of "Dohhh!!!" moments!

Hmmm My sentiments exactly.
I used a couple of scrap secondary double glazing units and some white paint on the backside of them to make a pair of white boards.
I found them very useful for reminders... and for doing quick maths, etc well worth the effort in making them.
Also for making a shopping list as I remembered what I had forgotten... Its really worth having a whiteboard in the garage.
It really is!!

Cheap Whiteboards
Cheap Whiteboards

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thefreak

posted on 27/3/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm finding when I get started doing 1 job, there's 3 others that need doing before I can do that 1 job.
Take this weekend for instance. Plan was to get the discs pads and calipers on the car and the fluid bled.
Got the brakes on then checked everything before starting to bleed.
Front to rear hose not connected to the rear distribution block as I need to make a rear panel for the hose to be threaded to.

So set about making up the rear panel template then transferring it to ally then while I had the ally sheet out I went about making a centre console dash panel so brakes didn't get finished and now I've got to finished both the new panels off before I can get the brakes done!

RichardK

posted on 27/3/12 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Reminds me when I made two perfect identicle rear hub carriers,trouble was they were too identicle,both rights! Oh how did I laugh....

Thing is, most times the 2nd one is better than the first,so not all bad mate.

Take care

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 27/3/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I thought it was just me for the longest time.
AllWeatherDan

posted on 2/5/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Chin Up!

I'm one of the Lazy Lot who bought a complete car (Booo I hear you say)

I am on the long road to improvement and my first self produced part was a simple parcel shelf
which was to go in place of the soft cover.
I built mk 1 which was the third design ( Split design) I re-named this the partial shelf as 50 % of it made its escape on I believe the M1!

I have now created Mk2 (Much improved) single piece.

But I have an incling there will be at least a Mk3!

Back to the drawing board.

Dan (Cheater)

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Just the ones I ask!

scudderfish

posted on 2/5/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
measure twice and make it once...

sorry if that sounds really smug, know what you mean though.

What happens when the two measurements are different though....

RK

posted on 2/5/12 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Take an average, make it again. Continue ad infinitum. JOKE. Don't do that.

That's kit cars. It makes no sense on any level whatsoever to do this, but here we all are.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.