Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: driveshaft play in freelander quaife LSD
andyfiggy2002

posted on 1/4/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
driveshaft play in freelander quaife LSD

i have a freelander quaife LSD & whilst having a look under the back of the car with the wheels on the ground i noticed that the drive shafts could be moved in & out of the diff by approx 4mm, is this normal?
PSpirine

posted on 1/4/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the Freelander diff specifically, but most driveshafts have some in-out movement somewhere between the diff and hub in order to allow for the changing length due to suspension travel.
minitici

posted on 1/4/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
There should not be much movement between the tripod housing and the differential (usually only about 1 to 2 mm).
The tripod housing is retained inside the differential by a wire clip on the tripod splined shaft.

However the driveshaft can slid in and out of the tripod housing by about 25mm.

MK9R

posted on 1/4/12 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thats fine, they are held in with a spring clip, very little that could wear to created anymore

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyfiggy2002

posted on 2/4/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
ok cheers
turbo911

posted on 5/4/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone got anymore info on this as i have the same problem mine moves about 10-12mm and therefore leaks oil out of the diff
Cheers

andyfiggy2002

posted on 5/4/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
can i ask is that 10-12mm with the car jacked up & the shocks fully extended or like mine 4mm with the car on its wheels & the shocks compressed??
turbo911

posted on 5/4/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi yes when it's jacked up with no load on the suspension, we have had recurring issues with the quaife diff, what we are finding is that all is fine then once the driving of the car gets a bit spirited the splined shaft pulls out about 10-12mm and the oil seal drops into the groove in the smooth part of the shaft and it spues the diff oil out, at this time the spring clip which holds the splined shaft in is still in place !!! I called quaife tech today and told them about the issue, I was told the guy who could perhaps help out would call back as he was on another call, guess what he didn't bother!!!! Looks like there is a issue with the freelander quaife diff !!!!!
adithorp

posted on 7/4/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbo911
Hi yes when it's jacked up with no load on the suspension, we have had recurring issues with the quaife diff, what we are finding is that all is fine then once the driving of the car gets a bit spirited the splined shaft pulls out about 10-12mm and the oil seal drops into the groove in the smooth part of the shaft and it spues the diff oil out, at this time the spring clip which holds the splined shaft in is still in place !!! I called quaife tech today and told them about the issue, I was told the guy who could perhaps help out would call back as he was on another call, guess what he didn't bother!!!! Looks like there is a issue with the freelander quaife diff !!!!!

As said there's a wire circlip on the end of the spline. That prevents the inner joint coming out. It can make it a bitch to get them in or out on the Freelander. There can be a mil' or so of end float but not 10! sounds to me like the clips are missing or damaged (they can get jammed compressed in the groove or knocked off).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

turbo911

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
No this is not the problem as the wire spring clip is still in place ( tried new ones) come to the conclusion the quaife diff is at fault !!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.