Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good Day/Bad Day
Daddylonglegs

posted on 4/9/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Good Day/Bad Day

Good Day

Finished off the half-roof today and was quite pleased with the result. It's not going to win any awards, but it was cheap and satisfying to make.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Bad Day

Took the car out to try out the half-hood, which seemed OK, a little booming as it flapped at the edges but not enough to worry about. But.......on the way back, the Voltmeter started waving around between about 13.5V and 15V!!

After all the issues I've had with charging, anf thinking the new alternator had cured it, this was the last thing I needed

Anyhow, I don't trust the voltmeter, so I connected up a multimeter to the battery and go my wife to check it against any readings on the voltmeter as we drove around.

When the voltmeter did it's wave aroung thing, the multimeter was reading between around 14.2V and 14.8V. So I am guessing that the voltmeter is playing up? The multimeter was fine and never went above 14.8V so I am going to assume that the alternator is charging OK.

Any ideas/advice gratefully received.

Thanks all.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Peteff

posted on 5/9/12 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
I like the red roof. Your old alternator may have had a bad influence on the voltmeter

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Proby

posted on 5/9/12 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Your half hood looks great! You taking orders? As for the voltmeter, there is a chance the old alternator could have fluffed it!

Visit GraphicMonster

AllWeatherDan

posted on 5/9/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Nice Hood!

Please could you send some pics of how the front is held to the screen (Close Ups)

Cheers

Dan

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Just the ones I ask!

RedAvon

posted on 5/9/12 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Good work on the hood.

It may be overkill but I would repeat the exercise with the multimeter but disconnect the suspect voltmeter from the circuit completely. If you get the same result buy a new voltmeter. It's unlikely to be the regulator pack as they either work or go faulty, don't think I've ever heard of one that intermittent.

Ian

Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/9/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllWeatherDan
Nice Hood!

Please could you send some pics of how the front is held to the screen (Close Ups)

Cheers

Dan

Dan, it's easier if I show you a drawing, makes more sense I hope

Description
Description

The wire is just a piece of Ethernet cable I had lying around, TV aerial cable would probably be about the same diameter.

The rail that screws to the windscreen frame was a piece of caravan awning rail I was given by my local caravan workshop from their scrap bin. I screwed it about every 3-4" along the rail using the same screws as I fitted the screen with (M4 x 8mm). The frame is 3mm thick channel. The wire+material then just slide into the awning channel, simples!

Hope that is of some use, anymore questions just u2u me

AllWeatherDan

posted on 5/9/12 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thants great

Much appreciated.

Dan

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Just the ones I ask!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/9/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
No worries chap I've had oodles of good advice and help off here, it's nice to be able to return the compliment

[Edited on 6/9/12 by Daddylonglegs]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.