Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: For those who were interested, The Life-Taker is done.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/9/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
For those who were interested, The Life-Taker is done.

Its taken me 2.5 years and if you add on the time it existed before that its been a long tortuous build.

This thread is just for the people who have taken an interest and been involved over the years.

Thanks to everyone who helped, there are way to many to name you all but you know who you are and I really appreciated the help.

Here is the thread of Steves chassis build for those who want to see what happened before I bought it.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=132958

Here it is as I bought it, jammed into my the original tiny garage and christened "The Life-Taker" after my Gran proclaimed on seeing it "You'll kill yourself in that thing"

Description
Description

Some early progress, changed from a ZX10R engine to a 919 Fireblade and the decision was made to go racing as the cahassis was originally intended to:

Description
Description

2012, new job, new home, new monster garage and new wheels but very little actaully progress on the car.

Description
Description

Spring 2012, it hit me that I had to pull my finger out and make the bodywork.... the pace really started to pick up:

Description
Description

Finally bit the bullet and designed and ordered my mid-mounted fuel tank:

Description
Description

Luckily the summer was crap so I spent every minute that I wasn't at work or asleep I was in the garage and low speed shakedown took place at the end of July:

Description
Description

The Life-Taker was then completely dismantled so the chassis could be coated, leaving me with the lego kit I dreamed of as a kid

Description
Description

The chassis returned a month ago and the final build kicked off:

Description
Description

I quick trip to Donnington for the RGB guys to look it over a couple of weekends ago:

Description
Description

A lick of paint, some finishing and fettling, a number of small changes and its done.....

Description
Description

And thats it, if you like it or not I couldn't care less as its mine. I only added these pics for the people who made bits for it, had a hand in the build and helped me out.

My favourite comment so far was from Tilly just yesterday " Like the floor, I really like the floor, I want a floor like that"

[Edited on 16/9/12 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
NigeEss

posted on 16/9/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Nice, love the shark mouth

Wonder if that's the chassis Steve was working on when I collected some body panels from his place ?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

tilly819

posted on 16/9/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good

Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

trextr7monkey

posted on 16/9/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
There's me thinking it was going to be Coozer's firewood saw again!!!
atb
Mike
PS Well done with getting the car the way you love it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

slingshot2000

posted on 16/9/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
There's me thinking it was going to be Coozer's firewood saw again!!!
atb
Mike
PS Well done with getting the car the way you love it!

^^^^+1
and I worry about Coozers thumbs, too !

nick205

posted on 16/9/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
superb!

always liked that chasis of Steve's and the finishef car looks very well too.

andylancaster3000

posted on 16/9/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good!! Out for the end of the season then?!

Also notice from your archive pics a certain blue French hatch still exists - still going ok???

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/9/12 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
Well done mate.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

steve m

posted on 17/9/12 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Nice, love the shark mouth

+1

AllWeatherDan

posted on 17/9/12 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
+1 Looking good :-)

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Just the ones I ask!

TimC

posted on 17/9/12 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote

MK9R

posted on 17/9/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Well done! Will we see you out at Mallory?????

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 17/9/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Looks superb, have you weighed it yet?, I will also be interested to see how well it goes on track, when's your first outing
coozer

posted on 17/9/12 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Eh?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

welderman

posted on 17/9/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
keep us posted, looking good

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

jonabonospen

posted on 17/9/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I personally think it looks really good. Well done.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DIYMAN

posted on 17/9/12 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very good, congrats on getting it finished. Hope the diff worked OK.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 17/9/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheer guys, lots of names on that list of replies who deserve a thankyou. To answer a few questions:

Yes it will be at Mallory, 14th October with special guest James 'Breaker' Breakell doing the driving honors.... Thats if nothing goes wrong beforehand.

Not weighed it yet, when the new shocks turn up it'll be on the corner weights and we'll find out.

Diff (Quaife ATB from a Megablade) is fine, and a perfect fit.

The track day Gendarme are still laying down the law to Porsches accross the race tracks of the UK in the trusty 306 GTi-6. Despite being run out of oil twice, doing loads of 4 hours straight stints on track and never ever being given a rest it still embarrasses much faster cars.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

andylancaster3000

posted on 17/9/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Cheer guys, lots of names on that list of replies who deserve a thankyou. To answer a few questions:

Yes it will be at Mallory, 14th October with special guest James 'Breaker' Breakell doing the driving honors.... Thats if nothing goes wrong beforehand.

Not weighed it yet, when the new shocks turn up it'll be on the corner weights and we'll find out.

Diff (Quaife ATB from a Megablade) is fine, and a perfect fit.

The track day Gendarme are still laying down the law to Porsches accross the race tracks of the UK in the trusty 306 GTi-6. Despite being run out of oil twice, doing loads of 4 hours straight stints on track and never ever being given a rest it still embarrasses much faster cars.

I should never have got rid of that car. Staggering how much fun you can have for so little money!

Would pop over to Mallory if I wasn't out at thruxton myself. Hope it goes well. Got your ards don't yet?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 17/9/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, heres the Gendarmerie 306 ready to go, the steel rear wheels are to fit over the Nissan 300ZX rear brakes.

I fitted those replacement doors you gave me for it... they lasted 2 weeks before somebody broke into it. Thats Nottingham for you.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Davegtst

posted on 18/9/12 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Looks really nice, love the shark mouth too. I'd love to know if that extra floor area gives an extra aero benefit.
fullpint

posted on 18/9/12 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work mate, worth it in the end..
What happened to the milite type wheels in the first pics? I prefer them, in fact I want a set

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 18/9/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I still have the Minlite style wheels, they are Compomotive race wheels that I will probably use for racing but I currently only have the required Yokohama A048's for the image split rims so I will be using those until the tyres have worn out.

I also think that they look 'meaner' on the car but the image rims with the polished outers tend to match the WWII fighter style paint job better.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

GonzoRacer

posted on 21/9/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Greetings from across the pond!

Good looking work, Sir, well done!

I also say "I like the floor!" Are there "sidepods" to go with the extended floor alongside the body or is the floor a "stand alone" aero device? I would like to know if there's any downforce gained by the floor alone. Interesting idea, and looks decidedly racy!

Thanks for posting the pictures!
JD Kemp
Tallahassee, FL, USA

"And it wasn't even a full moon."

procomp

posted on 21/9/12 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Are those floor extensions easily detachable. I only ask as the RGB regs would define them as a WING and they would also fall foul of the 50mm past plan view. ?
Or is it having it's outing in Bike sports. ?

Cheers Matt

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.