Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: kit costs....bec or cec?
troop

posted on 28/9/12 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
kit costs....bec or cec?

Hi all just thought i would say high, just joined forum and must say it is one of the friendliest auto related forums i have come across........
just a couple of newbie questions(one of which i might allready know the answer!)

I am just looking into buying my first kit and considering the mac#1 or mnr, does anyone have a price list for the mac#1 and kit contents? I am planning on visit both factories and having a test ride,

The next question is to go bec or cec? i spent the weekend with the guys at gbs at the open day sat and track day at blyton on sun and must say had the time of my life. But i found the demonstrator zetec running 178 bhp fun but a little to refined and not as exciting as i was expecting i then had a ride in a 210 bhp zetec car on the track this car was awesome and i didn't or couldn't stop smiling but it also felt a little to refined.....now with this in mind i would imagine bec may be the way forward?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks Justin

austin man

posted on 28/9/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Many say a BEC for the track they are loud so if you plan on a lot of road use may not be your cup of tea. I do a lot of road mileage so CEC for me a 200 or so zetec plenty of grunt and still refined enough for the road will give you 30 plus MPG BEC possibly low twenties when thrashed

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

sdh2903

posted on 28/9/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Get a ride in a BEC, that will make your mind up either way. If you want raw loud hi revving fun a bec is the way to go.

troop

posted on 28/9/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the reply....fuel economy isnt an issue my current car does 22mpg and may previous did 16-18mpg.

To be fair will be mainly road use with the occasional track day but all road use will be for fun only.

Cheers Justin

sdh2903

posted on 28/9/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
oh and just to say I started to build a Cec then half way through I got taken out for a spin in a blade powered car, not the most powerful but it was very well set up and got me hooked, so much so I swapped engine to an r1 lump.

troop

posted on 28/9/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
raw loud hi revving fun........ now that sounds like the future to me!!

If theres any one in the lincoln (ish) area that would like to show off their bec car i would be very gratefull for a ride in return for a pint!!

Cheers Justin

daniel mason

posted on 28/9/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
one thing to consider in my view is after sales backup/support. and for that reason i would opt for mnr. quite simply they are superb to deal with.technical support is instantly available.prices are good if you dont go for a crazy engine install. and there product is superb.
cant comment foe mac#1 but many on here can with differing opinions.
light weight mnr fireblade would be my vote!

troop

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi thanks for the good sound advice i was toying with another car but have heard a lot of negative comments about the customer service
and also have been on their stand at newark and donnington shows and on both occasions they didnt seem to be interested!

It doesn't matter how good the car is if the company doesn't care!!

MNR sound really good and the car looks superb (not entirely sure about the nosecone though)

sdh2903

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
With regards to costs the bec will be more expensive, however it can be done on a budget. My engine came with everything to make it run, clocks and exhaust can for well under 500 quid, granted it was located in a corner of Scotland and he wouldn't post. My exhaust manifold was 150 from mk engineering and I stumbled across a slightly used reverse box for half the new price.

My point is if you want a top spec busa along with dry sump you will need deep pockets. But a bec on a budget is possible with carbed blade and r1 engines available very cheaply.

daniel mason

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
mnr do 2 nose cones also! good luck

troop

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
hi, not wanting to spend mega bucks so blade or r1 sounds promising, has any body got any suggestions on what sort of performance to expect with these engines? ( happy with topping out at 120-130mph)

Cheers Justin

Hellfire

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you need a BEC but try and get a passenger ride in one before you decide which bike engine to buy These are fun cars too, so don't worry about MPG. Besides, some CECs return less than 20mpg.......

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about aftersales, backup and support. You don't get a three year manufacturers warranty with these type of cars and you won't be taking it back for servicing. There's enough places selling parts to enable you to build one without having to rely on one particular manufacturer and as long as you get the parts you need initially, at the price you want, there shouldn't be a problem building it. It does also help if you're within a reasonable travelling distance too. Do enough searching and you'll find lots of negative comments about all the manufacturers on this site........

If you were a bit closer, I'd take you out for a spin in the MK

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by troop
hi, not wanting to spend mega bucks so blade or r1 sounds promising, has any body got any suggestions on what sort of performance to expect with these engines? ( happy with topping out at 120-130mph)

Cheers Justin

Depending on engine;

0-60mph anything between 4 and 6 seconds

Top speed of 120 - 140 mph

Quarter mile sprint in about 13 seconds

Phil

wilkingj

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Roughly whats your budget?

Also how about a V8 Viento (built and on the road) ??

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engines top speed 120 to 130 with correct gearing no problem. what about a raw striker. I built a kaw zx9r striker many years ago slightly under geared but still did 125 at 12000 rpm in 6th gear!!! and great fun . Now have a x/flow striker soon to be toyota twin cam powered. still miss the madness of bike engined cars but if your using it to longer distances they make you deaf!!!!!!!
adithorp

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get to Blyton tomorrow (Sat) with a helmet, I'll give you a ride in my R1 engined Fury.

...and before you start believing all the "BECs are only any use on track" guff; I (along with several others) do a 3000mile tour around Europe in mine... and the "you can't drive them in traffic" well mine is fine; If it's OK in Milan, Turin and Genoa rush hours it's fine anywhere.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

sdh2903

posted on 28/9/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
^^ very good point, I was worried about in town driving due to lots of comments about clutches being difficult. Mine is great in town no more tricky than the tintop, maybe I was lucky with clutch set up.

troop

posted on 28/9/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi many thanks for all your replies....

Wilkingj.....my budget will be roughly 10k max but i am wanting to spend as little as poss( i,m looking forward to the challenge of building my own car and also the challenge of building without throwing money at it pointlessly)

Hellfire...thanks for the advice/offer of ride.

adithorp...many thanks for the offer i reckon i might just be able to take you up on that, i presume you will be there all day and your car is your avatar pic?

Cheers Justin

adithorp

posted on 28/9/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Wilkingj.....my budget will be roughly 10k max but i am wanting to spend as little as poss( i,m looking forward to the challenge of building my own car and also the challenge of building without throwing money at it pointlessly)

adithorp...many thanks for the offer i reckon i might just be able to take you up on that, i presume you will be there all day and your car is your avatar pic?

Cheers Justin

Yes, I'm there all day. Bright orange Fury, just come and say hello.

It's often recommended that buying a built and registered car then stripping it and rebuilding to your prefered spec' works out cheaper and simpler than building from scratch.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

troop

posted on 28/9/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
cool many thanks, yea have considered that route also thought of keeping my eye out for an unfinished kit.

cheers Justin

RK

posted on 28/9/12 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a good job? If so, it doesn't matter which is cheapest, since you'll probably being paying as you go, as it were. A second hand car you can mod to your heart's content, is probably the least expensive, from what I gather.

There are more opinions than Carter has pills, but most people are going to give you an impression of their own experiences, which will be quite variable. All you need is one small change to standard, and you have opened up a whole new can of worms.

Just to give an example: I am paying a garage to install a new engine, an SR20DET, into my MK, which had a CA18DET which I fried (long story I won't go into). The intercooler piping means I have to cut huge amounts from the bonnet and nosecone. I will have well over 200 HP when it is done (standard engine, different intake plenum), at HUGE cost. In fact, I won't say how much because I am embarrassed. The car is going to be an animal.

Each has their merits. Don't forget the reverse included with every CEC, yet the BEC is a lot lighter, thus needs less HP to go fast etc etc. I am not a typical kit car person, as I am in Canada, so consider that too.

matt_gsxr

posted on 28/9/12 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
If its a proper silly toy you want, then BEC all the way.

If its too sensible then you can always add nitrous or a turbo.

matt

p.s. welcome

PAUL FISHER

posted on 29/9/12 at 01:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

Cheers Justin

Yes, I'm there all day. Bright orange Fury, just come and say hello.

It's often recommended that buying a built and registered car then stripping it and rebuilding to your prefered spec' works out cheaper and simpler than building from scratch.

Good advice, buy a ready built and registered car, then mod it to your spec, you will save yourself alot of time and money

probablyleon

posted on 29/9/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Been said many times but yes, the sensation of driving a BEC is fantastic. Bare in mind, the passenger ride might not do the whole BEC thing justice, mine feels a fair bit quicker solo. A passenger will probably dampen the stupidity somewhat.

adithorp; I'd genuinely love to know how you've made yours tolerable on anything other than open roads. I had the misfortune of having to get through lots of city centre traffic a couple of days ago, not much fun. Any tips would be gratefully received

scudderfish

posted on 29/9/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
If its a proper silly toy you want, then BEC all the way.

If its too sensible then you can always add nitrous or a turbo.

matt

p.s. welcome

I'd say a 4.3L V8 in a Fury is proper silly as well

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.