Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fifth Gear Test Crash
IainL

posted on 9/11/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Fifth Gear Test Crash

Did anyone else see this test crash of a Focus @120mph on Fifth Gear the other night?

You Tube Linky

It's a bit scary!!!!!!!

Iainl

daniel mason

posted on 9/11/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
i saw it. it jumped up at the rear and nose dived into the ground. completely destroyed

PSpirine

posted on 9/11/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote

This must be why Armco on tracks isn't made from solid concrete and steel..

Ninehigh

posted on 9/11/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, they do some extreme ones on there don't they?

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hooooleee crap
plentywahalla

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Why do they continue to perpetuate the myth that two cars colliding each doing 60mph, is the same as each car hitting a concrete wall at 120??

Its equivalent to each car hitting a concrete wall at 60 ... Think about it.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

hearbear

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
Why do they continue to perpetuate the myth that two cars colliding each doing 60mph, is the same as each car hitting a concrete wall at 120??

What he said mythbusters proved this

[Edited on 9/11/12 by hearbear]

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

steve m

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ive never seen a concrete wall do 60mph ?
so two cars driving at each other, both doing 60 mph, has an impact of 120mph

and thats it, the end

tilly819

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Take it up with Newton

3rd law of motion : When a first body exerts a force F1 on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force F2 = -F1 on the first body. This means that F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

or the kiddies version, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Tilly

[Edited on 9/11/12 by tilly819]

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

tilly819

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
PS:

its not to do with velocity, its all about energy

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

clairetoo

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Ive never seen a concrete wall do 60mph ?
so two cars driving at each other, both doing 60 mph, has an impact of 120mph

and thats it, the end

Epic fail .

Mythbusters (as has already been said) proved this is not true - plus , on the fifth gear test , he did say that two cars colliding doing 120 mph was the same as hitting a wall at 120 mph.......

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla

Watch it again. They clearly state (at 17seconds in) that it is 2 cars both traveling at 120mph.

FWIW: cars are designed for 40mph crash, so at 120mph there is 9 times as much energy, no great surprise there is nothing left.

120mph crash is the same as being dropped from 157 meters according to my calculations, so how could you expect to survive that.

Ninehigh

posted on 9/11/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I think that's the point, that these are normal cars that average Joe can own and get into a mess like that. My car has 130 on it's clock even though it's a smallish runabout so I guess it could be quite easy for a "oh F we're really late" to turn into a 3 inch deep grave

PSpirine

posted on 9/11/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think the whole thing with the impact is to do with the fact that the concrete wall is non-deformable.

If two cars hit each other (each doing 120mph so closing speed of 240mph), the energy dissipated by one vehicle will be the same as one car hitting a stationary concrete block at 120mph.

In the car vs. car scenario, the energy is double, but is dissipated by both vehicles. In the wall scenario, the entire energy is absorbed by the car since the concrete structure does not deform in any way.

So their statement makes sense to me? However, I have been drinking sloe gin...

bi22le

posted on 9/11/12 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
I think the whole thing with the impact is to do with the fact that the concrete wall is non-deformable.

If two cars hit each other (each doing 120mph so closing speed of 240mph), the energy dissipated by one vehicle will be the same as one car hitting a stationary concrete block at 120mph.

In the car vs. car scenario, the energy is double, but is dissipated by both vehicles. In the wall scenario, the entire energy is absorbed by the car since the concrete structure does not deform in any way.

So their statement makes sense to me? However, I have been drinking sloe gin...

Maybe what your trying to suggest is that the concrete crash @ 120mph is like a mirror, no rotation and perfect perpendicular forces.

2 cars in a real life situation will not hit mirror \ perpendicular and therefore some momentum will be kept in the cars as they rotate from each other and carry on, off to a tangent angle.

So think of the real world. Somebody hoons around a orner at 120mph and hits another fool doing 120mph. The frontal impact is around 60% cross section which flies the cars of spinning in different directins. The amount of deformation at that 60% will be horrific and they will still die!

The 5th gear test proves nothing except to save lives we need air bags that come out the front of our cars!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Ninehigh

posted on 9/11/12 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

The 5th gear test proves nothing except to save lives we need air bags that come out the front of our cars!!

Or not do 120?

skydivepaul

posted on 10/11/12 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
errrrrr what did they expect to happen when you drive a car at 120 mph into a concrete wall!!!

it is going to be f@@ked and the occupants also

btw that guy from fifth gear is a complete tit

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

JoelP

posted on 10/11/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
errrrrr what did they expect to happen when you drive a car at 120 mph into a concrete wall!!!

it is going to be f@@ked and the occupants also

wot he said. Pretty obvious its going to bend.

In terms of the G force you feel due to rapid deacceleration, it would be similar if you hit a concrete wall at 60 to if you hit a car head on at 60 each. Easy to prove too with a simple thought experiment.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

russbost

posted on 10/11/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's safest to say either don't do 120MPH or don't crash. Speed does NOT kill, however 400g deceleration is going to every time!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeRJ

posted on 10/11/12 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Another completely pointless 5th Gear test; only the truly stupid would be surprised at the outcome from this.

It's quite funny how many arguments this has sparked on on various forums with people trying to argue it's the same as two cars hitting each other at 60mph. Clearly an awful lot of people didn't pay much attention at school

craig1410

posted on 10/11/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah as already said by a couple of people, hitting an immovable object (concrete block in this case) at 120MPH is, all other things being equal, similar to hitting another identical car head on at 120MPH per car (i.e.. 240MPH closing speed). As also said, this is all about energy and the conversion of kinetic energy into mainly heat and sound energy. Kinetic energy is measured in Joules and is equal to 1/2 * mass * velocity squared (in metres per second) so 1/2 * 1200Kg * 2916 = 2041200 Joules. Assuming car to be around 1400Kgs. The total energy lost by hitting a stationary concrete block will be half the total energy lost in the head on collision between cars but that energy loss is spread across two vehicles so the deformation of each vehicle will be similar as hitting the stationary concrete block.

Having said all that, I'm not quite sure I understand the point which Fifth Gear were trying to make. I can't imagine (thankfully) many scenarios where two cars would hit each other head on while both were travelling at 120MPH. Much more chance of hitting a stationary object (eg. tree, wall, car in hard shoulder) at high speed than anything moving. I'd like to see what would happen if they did the same test but hit a large tree (or simulated tree) instead. I bet it would be even more devastating than hitting a flat concrete block as the forces would try to rip the car in half.

Has anyone seen the experiment where they flew a jet aircraft into a block of concrete at 500MPH?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjhxuhTmGk

russbost

posted on 10/11/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
"Another completely pointless 5th Gear test; only the truly stupid would be surprised at the outcome from this."

I'd beg to differ on that, I think an awful lot of people think modern cars make them invulnerable, 5 star NCAP, airbags here there & everywhere, pre-tensioning seat belts etc etc, I think a lot of people would be truly shocked at just how much energy is stored/disipated in an accident like this, & how little protection the car would afford.

Ok, the accident isn't particularly likely to happen, but I have a strong suspicion that a car doing 70 mph hitting a 40 tonne truck doing, say 40 mph would probably have a fairly similar result, no doubt someone with more recent physics learming than I have could confirm or deny re the amount of energy involved in each case?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 10/11/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I can imagine some pillock driving too fast and hitting a bridge pier at 120 - at least it would save the scrapyard having to crush the car. It's similar to a fast car hitting a tree (another scary test 5th gear did) - the car is destroyed, the tree barely moves.

One VERY scary test 5th gear did was when they set up 15 - 20 stationary cars in 3 columns, then drive a big old Volvo into the back of the queue at 70mph (as if someone wasn't paying attention on a motorway). In the middle of the queue was a Fiat saloon - which ended up as a 5ft tall column with a base of around 3ft square...

Ninehigh

posted on 10/11/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I can imagine some pillock driving too fast and hitting a bridge pier at 120 - at least it would save the scrapyard having to crush the car. It's similar to a fast car hitting a tree (another scary test 5th gear did) - the car is destroyed, the tree barely moves.

One VERY scary test 5th gear did was when they set up 15 - 20 stationary cars in 3 columns, then drive a big old Volvo into the back of the queue at 70mph (as if someone wasn't paying attention on a motorway). In the middle of the queue was a Fiat saloon - which ended up as a 5ft tall column with a base of around 3ft square...

Remember that one, nearly crapped myself when I saw how small that Fiat became

phelpsa

posted on 11/11/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
It does show that you'd be much better off driving the concrete block...!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.