Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DSG
maccmike

posted on 31/10/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
DSG

Whats peoples thoughts?
Changing the car in Jan and thinking of a VAG with DSG.
Either Golf tdi 150bhp or Octavia with same engine. Paddle shift or gear lever shift?
Or 120D but that'll be a manual if I pick that.

evonigel

posted on 31/10/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had a dsg passat a couple of years ago and could not say a bad thing about it.loved the smoothness of the gear changes
dave_424

posted on 31/10/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not DSG, but I've had a Golf mk4 tdi 150 for the past 6 months, great car all around. Plenty of torque and makes some great turbo noises
morcus

posted on 31/10/13 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
After the first month or so you'll get used to it and you won't notice it's any different from a conventional auto I'd guess. I've used them for work on a few audis and octavias, used the pedals because I could though my default action to shift down for passing is to go for the stick because thats what the Panda had.

I'm sure I read they try hard to make it feel like a conventional auto and it does, and off the cars I got for work, I much prefered it to what ever I had in a new focus.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

wylliezx9r

posted on 31/10/13 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an A3 TDi 2.0 DSG. The gearbox is superb no need to use the paddles as the auto mode is so accomplished. Would highly reccomend.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

maccmike

posted on 31/10/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice.
Test driving a manual mk7 GT diesel on sat, but if I order one it'll be just an 2.0 tdi SE.
Also, test driving an 2013 Octavia 2.0 tdi Elegence with DSG on Sat too.
That'll give me pretty good comparisons.
Then on wednesday the 120d Msport with 184bhp. Suspect that'll be my favourite but it doesnt come with cruise control or climate control as standard which I find shocking.
The Skoda has got everything you could think of as standard.
Will report back my findings.

Mr C

posted on 31/10/13 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've a vRS octavia 170cr with DSG not so good when cold, a bit slow to find a gear especially reverse, after a mile or so its fine. Suits the diesels well. highly recommended.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

Davey D

posted on 31/10/13 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
It's very expensive when it breaks. One of my friends had it break on his Audi a3 2.0d, and another had it break on his Audi Tt 3.2
maccmike

posted on 1/11/13 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever I choose will be new and therefore under warranty so not worried about that.

What kind of mpg do you guys get?

hobbsy

posted on 1/11/13 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Another thumbs up for them being nice to drive. Both a diesel golf and a 2.0 turbo petrol Audi Q5 sampled here. Never owned one though, would be a bit paranoid about it breaking and costing a lot to fix, especially as I'd favour a remap on anything with forced induction and that can mean +40% torque on a diesel car so could give the box something to think about.

Anyone done big non motorway miles with a remapped for power vag turbo diesel dsg equipped car on here???

Edit. If you look to the left at my avatar you can see I've got form for breaking 'boxes!

[Edited on 1/11/13 by hobbsy]

bowood14

posted on 1/11/13 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
My wife has an EOS tdi dsg same as golf absolutely love driving it, even though it's a hairdressers car, lots of power and very responsive the car that is, not the wife!!
smart51

posted on 1/11/13 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
DSG is considerably heavier than a conventional box. Perhaps not so much a factor in a big saloon but it affects acceleration, braking, steering and fuel consumption, as all good locostbuilders know. As every, try one out. Preferably back to back with a manual.

Mr C

posted on 1/11/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
DSG is considerably heavier than a conventional box. Perhaps not so much a factor in a big saloon but it affects acceleration, braking, steering and fuel consumption, as all good locostbuilders know. As every, try one out. Preferably back to back with a manual.

It depends on what you mean by "considerably" I currently have one of each, albeit one petrol one diesel, both driven extensively over the past 3 years of ownership. one is a petrol manual the other is a diesel DSG other than that same model, year - 2010 and same colour.

Combined with the diesel engine the DSG is heavier than the petrol version though in the real world the performance isn't noticably affected. Certainly acceleration is not affected, in fact its actually better than the manual equivalent as the DSG does full power upshifts and pulls hard constantly from standstill to what ever.. The mpg depends on driving style as always though the DSG is better than a full auto as it is more efficient. The DSG also allows for very smooth economical driving with very early upshifts if wanted. The manual petrol version isn't that much ahead in terms of performance etc point to point there isn't much in it.

Hammering the DSG Diesel 40ish mpg, hammering the petrol manual 20ish mpg

In light of this, in the real world for me, the DSG Diesel wins every time.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

smart51

posted on 1/11/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
The VW version of the DSG box is 93kg, so about 60kg more than a manual. True enough it is only 5% or so but you might notice if you compare like with like.

maccmike

posted on 1/11/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
according to my brochure
2.0 diesel dsg = 1375kg
manual = 1354kg

1.4 tsi dsg = 1249
and 1225 respectively

Mr C

posted on 1/11/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
according to my brochure
2.0 diesel dsg = 1375kg
manual = 1354kg

1.4 tsi dsg = 1249
and 1225 respectively

Nothing worth worrying about... mines going next week, being replaced by a Golf GTD, sadly a manual,.. couldn't get a good deal on a DSG unfortunately. I'm missing it all ready

Nash

posted on 2/11/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Mk5 GTI Golf with DSG and it was superb. Not sure about the weight comments but the Mk5 DSG was quicker to 60 then the manual so any weight disadvantage is more then made up by the almost seemless changes.

If you fell like driving miss daisy you can slip it into auto and relax. Best of both worlds.

Highly recommended.

.....Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

maccmike

posted on 6/11/13 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Test Drives Completed.

Golf 2.0 150 tdi manual: Very nice but a bit boring and not enough kit for your money.

Ocatvia 2.0 150 tdi DSG: Lots for your money, great gearbox. Maybe a bit too slow and not the best looking but a contender all the same.

118D M Sport Manual: Great seats but awkward driving position. Way too heavy for the bhp. Stingy on kit.

Leon FR 150 Manual: Basically a better looking Golf with almost as much kit as the Octavia.

So if I decide on manual - Leon is the pick.

If I decide on DSG - Octavia it is.

maccmike

posted on 10/11/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Octavia 150 Elegence DSG Estate ordered
maccmike

posted on 1/2/14 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Now received, it really is very good. Also, has some genuine shove in 3rd and 4th gear. Possibly the best car Iv owned.
karlak

posted on 1/2/14 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Had a couple of VAG cars with DSG in the past that the wife owned. I like them because they have very little difference in MPG and the performance is better against a manual in the real world.

In fact, I have just ordered a MK7 GTD with DSG for myself.

If you go for a new Golf, 12% discount is possible from dealers..

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.