Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vauxhall insignia dual mass
chris

posted on 8/1/17 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
vauxhall insignia dual mass

as i cant seem to get access to the vauxhall forum thought i would ask on here
does any one know of a dual mass conversion to standard flywheel and if there is are there any downsides to getting rid of the pain in the neck duall mass flywheel

[Edited on 8/1/17 by chris]

coozer

posted on 8/1/17 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
You can weld it up but then you will have to change the plate to a standard sprung one..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

benchmark51

posted on 8/1/17 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris
as i cant seem to get access to the vauxhall forum thought i would ask on here
does any one know of a dual mass conversion to standard flywheel and if there is are there any downsides to getting rid of the pain in the neck duall mass flywheel

[Edited on 8/1/17 by chris]

Have you tried here:

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/solid-flywheel-conversion-kit?gclid=CjwKEAiA48fDBRDJ24_imejhwUkSJAAr0M5kLg7gdk2gJuCOQj_UHqHrXULyq4F2PnJ-1LUfWVm20BoCdWj w_wcB

MikeRJ

posted on 8/1/17 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Downsides are increased vibration in the drivetrain and possibly reduced gearbox life due to the very high torque peaks that a DMF is there to attenuate.

I personally wouldn't recommend replacing a DMF with a conventional flywheel in a diesel application. Modern DMFs have a pretty decent life if not abused (e.g. lugging the engine at low RPM in too high a gear) so chances are a replacement will last the rest of the life of the car.

chris

posted on 8/1/17 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
at an average price of £500 just for the DMF then another £350 for the clutch and cover plate its a big wedge to swallow
my vauxhall vivaro does not have a DMF and that is a 1.9 diesel and i would say it is smoother than my insignia and a new three piece clutch is far cheaper

adithorp

posted on 8/1/17 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Engines with DMF usually don't have a crankshaft damper and removing the DMF risks crankshaft breakage. One Mondeo owner I advised not to go down that route, went to another garage who did remove the DMF and 6 months later his crank snapped.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bigrich

posted on 8/1/17 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Replaced mine recently with an OE Sachs DMF and clutch. Took 6 hours and £480 quid. Bought trade through SDL Did have access to stamp at work but not that bad a job

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 8/1/17 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it as said cranks can snap more vibration there fitted for a reason change it with a good quality part and it will last the rest of the cars life .
SJ

posted on 8/1/17 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
My Mondeo has done almost 90k on the original DMF. Given all the negative hype is has exceeded my expectations.
nick205

posted on 9/1/17 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Not had to replace one myself, but I really can't believe car manufacturers would have fitted them without good reason. Yes, prices are higher than we may be used to for the older type clutches, but I'd replace like for like myself. I'd also use a garage I trust who would be happy to show me what they removed as well.

coozer

posted on 9/1/17 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
What the hell is a crankshaft damper??

The zetecs all had solid flywheels apart from the st170 which has a dmf on exactly the same crank!!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bonzoronnie

posted on 9/1/17 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
What the hell is a crankshaft damper??

The zetecs all had solid flywheels apart from the st170 which has a dmf on exactly the same crank!!!

I guess they mean the rubber damper on the front crank pulley.

If not, I am as confused as you

chris

posted on 9/1/17 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have removed the DMF from my St170 engine and been giving it a good thrashing and not snapped the crank and I always thought the crank shafts damper was the rubber bit on the crank pulley
owelly

posted on 9/1/17 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a solid flywheel kit to a mates Espace three years ago and it's managed 30,000+ miles with no bother. I've also fitted one to my own Espace but never got around to fixing the wanky electric handbrake so it's never moved off the drive!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 9/1/17 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Crankshaft dampers have been used for at least 50 years , the old BMC1100s used one, it was a popular mod to fit one to a Mini a to help with vibrations and b it was stronger than the original Mini part .
MikeR

posted on 9/1/17 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
My ford smax has 130k on the original clutch and dmf. They're near (i think) end of life but its a fair amount of milage. Got the debate about swap it for something newer or pay the 800 quid to get it done and hope nothing else major goes.
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/1/17 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well my cmax managed a utterly hopeless 36,000 miles and the flywheel went big style, along with endless things breaking.

Such a useless half baked car so glad I got rid of it, genuinely the very worst car I've ever owned and I've had so many.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.