Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a BBQ
loggyboy

posted on 8/5/17 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a BBQ

I have a cheap gas BBQ thats a couple of years old and it hasnt lasted well, burner and plate is rusty, one burner valve is stuck.
Historically I have bought cheap ones (£50~60) and replaced every couple of years, so if I can find a decent one that's full of stainless parts that will last a good few years i'm happy to spend £250 approx. There seems to be lots listed as stainless, but most just seem to have a stainless body, and all the important internals are mild and i know wont last.

Mistral Motorsport

spiderman

posted on 8/5/17 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Locost: half an oil drum, expanded metal mesh and a bag of charcoal.

I'm old school and anything with gas or burners isn't a barbeque, it's a outdoor cooker.

I am fortunate not to have close neighbours, so the smell doesn't annoy or attract them.

[Edited on 8/5/17 by spiderman]

Spider

pekwah1

posted on 8/5/17 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Now i've used gas barbeques and yes they're very convenient and work well and blah blah blah....

but i'm with spiderman here, a barbeque should have coal and uncontrolled fire and smoke etc!

loggyboy

posted on 8/5/17 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Im 100% sold on the convenience and flexibility of gas, I understand many prefer the real thing, but im not one of them!.

Mistral Motorsport

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/5/17 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
No such thing as a gas BBQ, as already said that's an outdoor cooked.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gremlin1234

posted on 8/5/17 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
for the amount they are used its worth considering the disposable barbecues. though you may need several/many for more than a few people.
no cleaning or storage issues

edit
but we did build one with a dexion tray with holes drilled in it, and half inch steel bars for the top. we could get those bars cherry red!

edit cherry not cheery!

[Edited on 8/5/17 by gremlin1234]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 8/5/17 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have a hunter outback gas BBQ and am very happy with it
bi22le

posted on 8/5/17 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
My brother has a "cheap" gas 6 burner. I helped my sis' in law choose it and went for size over quality, thats the way my bro is.

It is now about 2 years old and lasted very well. I used it yesterday. We pre cooked all of the food (kids and grand parents present so did not want to risk anything) and just browned it off using the BBQ!

Ok, it did not have the taste of coals but was still nice. It gave the authentic crisp that you want. I dont know the make but I would just go for what ever your budget stretches to.

The best piece of advice I can give, coming from someone that knows people with snazzy BBQs, is buy a good cover! As soon as the excessively expensive cover tears or rips (probably within 12 months) BUY ANOTHER ONE!!

It wont go rusty if it has a good cover. Even nice BBQs suffer peeling vanish and rusty bolts when left to the elements.

Have fun.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Toys2

posted on 8/5/17 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
For £250 get a used gas Weber, you won't regret it, though you won't get an all stainless one for that

It's true that charcoal is the original, Weber's famous for their charcoal kettle BBQ's, but they did a blind testing charcoal vs their gas grills, something like 80% preferred the food cooked on gas, including lots of charcoal fanatics

They have "flavouriser" bars that sit above the burners and below the grills, the fat from the food drips onto them and burns off in the form of smoke

I have both gas and charcoal BBQ's - all Weber, 4 in all and use my gas one the most, every roast joint that I've cooked in the last five years has been on my BBQ, that's beef, lamb, chicken, pork and Christmas turkeys, my oven in the kitchen is barely used

I use it all year round, though in the summer, is at least 10 times a week. I just wouldn't do it that much with charcoal

If you can, get one with stainless cooking grids/grills, they take more abuse and are much easier to clean

I'm happy to advise if you need specific advice choosing one

02GF74

posted on 8/5/17 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I use a chimnea and an old fridge metal tray - tray needs to have the plastic (powder coat?) burnt off before cooking food on it.

Gas BBQ?? - No - simplest form is to lay bricks in a rectangular shape and rest a grid on top - you don't need fancy Weber, Outback blah blah digitally controlled gas regulated sophisticated nonsense.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 8/5/17 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I was totally against gas BBQs but after spending a fortune on charcoal firefighters etc I got a gas one it's so much easier to use and quick which means we have more BBQ s but it does take more cleaning though .
Toys2

posted on 8/5/17 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Really it's down to personal choice, I use mine as an outdoor cooker and use it regularly, though I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference between my gas and charcoal cooked food
I find it funny when it come to this time of year and people at work are talking of having their first BBQ of the year

My first of this year was on 1st Jan, whole salmon planked and smoked

If I was only using it a few times a year, then the whole experience of charcoal is great, but I might come home after a long shift and grill a single piece of chicken for a sandwich
When I'm on nights, I may grill some fish for lunch and then later of grill something to take to work

No way am I going to mess about with coal for such quick and simple meals, as I say it's personal choice. I'm certainly not going to apologise for having and enjoying a gas grill

[Edited on 8/5/17 by Toys2]

stevebubs

posted on 8/5/17 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Best of both worlds here... got one of these for when I want to do it properly

and a cheap Camping Gaz one for when I just want to throw something on the grill outside.. Camping Gaz one is coming up on 2 years old, used all year round, always covered when not in use; no rust or anything like it to date.

My Camping Gaz one is a bit like this one but without the side burner...

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/013267-campingaz-2-series-classic-exs-barbecue.html/484286

I believe some of the Camping Gaz ones allow you to put the grates etc in the dishwasher...

[Edited on 8/5/17 by stevebubs]

Toys2

posted on 8/5/17 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Best of both worlds here... got one of these for when I want to do it properly

and a cheap Camping Gaz one for when I just want to throw something on the grill outside.. Camping Gaz one is coming up on 2 years old, always covered, and no rust or anything to date.

My Camping Gaz one is a bit like this one but without the side burner...

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/013267-campingaz-2-series-classic-exs-barbecue.html/484286/?istCompanyId=b238823a-59fd-4816-9c36-7dd47877f2a8&i stItemId=raxrmtwix&istBid=tzil&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrsDIBRDX3JCunOrr_YYBEiQAifH1FkM07pttRmu4f4t1b80aFO-WashWH9mSMU5aWOJHvJMaAuB-8P8HAQ

I like it, somewhere on "my list" is a wood fired pizza oven
The trouble is that there's lots of other things on my list

stevebubs

posted on 8/5/17 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
BTW there is a gas option that you can insert into the masonry BBQ, so you don't *have* to cook using charcoal on it... oh.. and had one of the Big K masonry BBQs at my last house...was still going strong after 15 years!! First thing I ordered when I bought the new place 18 months ago was another...

hearbear

posted on 8/5/17 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you can leave it till end of summer visit garden centres and b and q as they usually sell them off at a fairly reduced amount. Mine came from b and q 5 years ago stainless and still looking good 4 burner added the electric rotisserie and use it to cook whole chickens. Not ever given anyone the sh!ts so must be doing some thing right.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

stevebubs

posted on 8/5/17 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed on waiting until the end of the season - I bought my Camping Gaz one in late Sept/early October and it was <£100
Matt21

posted on 9/5/17 at 03:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It is now about 2 years old and lasted very well. I used it yesterday. We pre cooked all of the food (kids and grand parents present so did not want to risk anything) and just browned it off using the BBQ! Ok, it did not have the taste of coals but was still nice. It gave the authentic crisp that you want. I dont know the make but I would just go for what ever your budget stretches to.

what?! haha

So you cooked the food in an oven/hob, then took it outside and stuck it on a gas hob to 'burn the edges slightly' so it looked bbq.
Sorry but that isn't 'having a bbq', that's just weird.
You could just save the money and cook the food inside properly and then eat it outside.

Proper BBQs are where it's at.
Webers are good, as is half a stainless beer keg.

Or if you want ultimate BBQ luxury all year round like my in-laws, get one of these! Perfect on a snowy winter evening!

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

nick205

posted on 9/5/17 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Loggy here a gas BBQ is quick and easy. I too have bought sub £100 ones before that do a couple of years before making their way to the tip. Rusty plates and knackered burners being the end of them.

A friend of mine has a cheap gas BBQ (mild steel parts) and some rather nifty long handled wire brushes which he uses to clean the plates after cooking. Seems to work well and he's now on his 3rd year with the same BBQ.

Loggy I know what you're after, but haven't seen one to point you at - if I saw one I'd probably buy one myself

02GF74

posted on 9/5/17 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I'm with Loggy here a gas BBQ is quick and easy.

Arrrgggfhhh how many times, that is not bbq but gas cooker that can be used outdoors.

Bbq = Real old school barbecue happens when you place a large cut of meat or ribs in closed pit and let it cook indirectly (away from the fire) with the low heat and smoke of a charcoal and or wood fire.

nick205

posted on 10/5/17 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

Arrrgggfhhh how many times, that is not bbq but gas cooker that can be used outdoors.

Bbq = Real old school barbecue happens when you place a large cut of meat or ribs in closed pit and let it cook indirectly (away from the fire) with the low heat and smoke of a charcoal and or wood fire.

Viewpoint noted, but for me the speed and ease of a gas fired "outdoor cooker" wins hands down over the hassle of a charcoal bbq.

1. Fire up and cook within minutes
2. On the fly heat adjustment for different foods
3. No ashes to deal with afterwards
4. My young kids have all had a go

I've even used it when I've got home from the pub and fancy an outdoor bacon roll

Took it camping once as well and cooked up for 18 people in a field.

At 43 yrs old I find myself too old to be messing about with charcoal anymore.

loggyboy

posted on 10/5/17 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

Rubbish - thats just your (incorrect) interpretation.

barbecue
noun
a meal or gathering at which meat, fish, or other food is cooked out of doors on a rack over an open fire or on a special appliance.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/barbecue

Mistral Motorsport

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/5/17 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Calm down guys he only asked for a gas recommendation
SJ

posted on 10/5/17 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Calm down guys he only asked for a gas recommendation

We need a 'Cook Off' to settle this!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/5/17 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
From start to finish gas 15 mins charcoal 30 mins to go white ready to cook 15 mins to cook only one winner in the speed test and that's why my gas one gets used more .
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.