Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone tried (no.1 - parts washer)
ChrisW

posted on 25/2/18 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone tried (no.1 - parts washer)

I need a new parts washer. Have been using a bench-top one for years - actually I think I bought it off someone on here - but the pump expired a little while ago (plastic fell to bits, presumably from being sat in degreasing fluid for years).

Surfing eBay as you do I came across this: Parts washer

It looks good in terms of not getting messy doing the job. I like the fact that it is heated too although whether that actually helps with the process I have no idea.

It also reminds me of the one that good old Edd China uses on Wheeler Dealers....

I can't find a price for his one but I assume it's out of the reach of a DIY-er. I wonder if the eBay knock-off works just as well. After all, it is only a box with a jet of cleaning fluid inside, how hard can it be?

So, has anyone got one of these units or used one? Are they any good? Worth the money compared to a conventional parts washer? Any other comments?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
avagolen

posted on 26/2/18 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,
I cannot comment on the units themselves, but our parts washer at work has to be kept switched on at all times to keep the cleaning fluid warm. It has an active enzime that 'dies' if it gets cold. It is considered a 'green' unit with no harmful chemicals. Works well.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/18 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Second hand disk washer vastly better...

Just need a water barrel next to it to recycle to fluid and a water pump to flow it into the machine, sediments fall to the bottom off the barrel so you can remove the filter strainer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 26/2/18 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
That is a very interesting idea!

I have got an old dishwasher I picked up for this very purpose but was planning on plumbing it up 'conventionally' but I do have an issue of not having a drain anywhere near the garage (detached from the house) so was intending to rig up some kind of holding tank that I could empty manually. Recycling fluid would not be too big a step on from this.

Have you actually tried this and had success or are you just speculating that it will work?

If the former, what fluid do you use? My intention was just to use regular dishwasher tablets (with conventional water feed and drain). They cut through grease in the kitchen so I guess they will do it for car parts too.

I assume you just wired up the inlet pump across the feed to the inlet solenoid (with a relay I guess) so when the unit demands 'water' the pump runs?

EDIT to add: my plan was to have this as well as a normal parts washer, the idea being I can get the worst of the grease off and then bung the parts in the dishwasher to finish them off.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Second hand disk washer vastly better...

Just need a water barrel next to it to recycle to fluid and a water pump to flow it into the machine, sediments fall to the bottom off the barrel so you can remove the filter strainer.

[Edited on 26/2/2018 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

Agriv8

posted on 27/2/18 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
A 'Heavy Plant' Mechanic Friend dissolves a dish washer or Washing detergent tablet in machines that have contaminated the water with oil leave it running and up to temp drain and flush and retreat if required then fill with correct Coolant.

I would go with an old dish washer just be careful with rubber and cast ali which may need something to 'Seal it ' after cleaning

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/2/18 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
yeah but it was a long time ago, it was my folks old machine that the control circuit had burned out, however my dad managed to get the circulation pump (built into the base and feed for the sprayer) to run just connecting it to the mains bypassing the board and using a domestic switch on the side of the machine.

The mains water feed (valve) was also bypassed and we used an old central heating pump (on it's last leg with worn bearings) to suck up fluid from a plastic barrel while the machine ran, this is different to how they normally work as they only fill and drain a couple of times normally. To drain the fluid the drain impeller was removed (actually a weird magnetic impeller not actually connected to anything directly) and the hose just hung down into the barrel right to the bottom, I should point out the machine was up on a worktop and the barrel on the floor with a lid on so it just gravity drained

Fluid? diesel...i.e. I did not have the heater wired up, the smell would have been terrible anyway, but maybe that could be tried with the correct type of fluid, not sure how you'd control the heat? do you just make it live?

It worked very well, the seals round the door did swell up a bit but it didn't leak. It was ditched in the end after it ended up looking like hell inside and I'd finished that Landy project (the series one iirc).

Have a look at yours, I don't think there was much variation in the basic design so might be usable

Oh I should point out to only open the door once the fluid has stopped draining out... the first time I opened it I discovered the machine was actually filling up inside as the drain wasn't totally keeping up with the pump, I never made that mistake again

[Edited on 27/2/18 by Mr Whippy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.