Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Noisy HP fuel pump
40inches

posted on 19/4/18 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Noisy HP fuel pump

Out for a run today, 24degrees
After about an hour and a half the HP pump started squealing,then the engine lost power above 5000rpm
I think I know the answer: New pump?
Bit disappointed,not a cheap pump and only done about 1500 miles

owelly

posted on 19/4/18 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Check filters and regulator first.....then pump.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 19/4/18 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
as above, or an air leak

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

40inches

posted on 19/4/18 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps. I'll check it again tomorrow. Can I take it that if it's OK cold, but squeals when hot,it is the pump?
BaileyPerformance

posted on 19/4/18 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
most injection pumps must have a larger input/feed than the outlet. Normally 12mm feed 8mm out.
The pump must be gravity fed.
If your feeding the pump with the normal 8mm pipe it will nor work, your pump is now dead.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 20/4/18 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Must have been a bad day for pumps yesterday, my XJR1300 did exactly the same, its now normal sound priming cold, growls like an old grizzly when its hot....
40inches

posted on 20/4/18 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Must have been a bad day for pumps yesterday, my XJR1300 did exactly the same, its now normal sound priming cold, growls like an old grizzly when its hot....

Bad day all round Pete
Tried it this morning, sounds fine static, squeals like a stuck pig when hot!
I think the pump may be dying, although it is fed from a swirl pot with 12mm connection, the fuel temperatures yesterday went ballistic, I could hear the fuel "boiling"in the tank The swirl pot (in the engine bay) got up to 80degrees with 60 degrees in the tank.
I think a complete rethink of the fuel system is in order

melly-g

posted on 20/4/18 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I am having exactly the same issue, only just changed to fuel injection pump has done about 200 miles and it sounded awful yesterday louder than the exhaust.
Ran for a short time today, no noise at all!
I think I may have to look into a fuel cooler!

40inches

posted on 20/4/18 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by melly-g
I am having exactly the same issue, only just changed to fuel injection pump has done about 200 miles and it sounded awful yesterday louder than the exhaust.
Ran for a short time today, no noise at all!
I think I may have to look into a fuel cooler!

I will be deleting the swirl pot, I think that is the source of the heat. Not enough room for it outside the engine bay.
I am going to put the HP pump near and below the tank and feed it with the lift pump.

tims31

posted on 20/4/18 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
On my Fury I have the fuel pump under the fuel tank at the rear of the car and then a line that runs up to the engine bay, through a HP filter and then onto the fuel rail and back to return with no issues. Not sure if you can site your pump near the tank?

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

chris

posted on 20/4/18 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
i am fitting a new high pressure pump into my in tank swirl pot and pump its a fuel pump and swirl pot from a v8 range rover but to get over 250bhp i have had to change the pump cos its not strong enough got a walbro that can pump up to 8 bar apparently

[Edited on 20/4/18 by chris]

[Edited on 20/4/18 by chris]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.