Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Night driving?
number-1

posted on 26/4/18 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Night driving?

After my last post about lights and MOTs, i was curious to how much night driving you lovely lot do in your kit cars? Is it a case of avoiding it where possible and leave it for daylight hours? Or are you not too bothered?

N1

James24785

posted on 26/4/18 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be avoiding it where possible personally
russbost

posted on 26/4/18 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I wouldn't want to be on a motorway in pitch dark & pouring rain, but other than that, what's the problem with driving at night (other than it can get a bit chilly!). Just make sure you've got some decent headlights!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SJ

posted on 26/4/18 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I love driving mine at night. As Russ says, not on a rainy motorway, but down the lanes in the summer is great.
nick205

posted on 26/4/18 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sold my Indy a few years ago, but when I had it was happy to drive day or night.
Benzine

posted on 26/4/18 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I drove from Carlisle to Leicestershire in the dark in my MK last year, plenty of rain too. It wasn't bad, but it did make me change my headlights as they just weren't cutting it!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James24785

posted on 26/4/18 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair, I've not even driven mine in the day yet haha! I just get the impression the headlights won't be great, but I may be pleasently surprised
steve m

posted on 26/4/18 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I drive with the lights on, when in my 7, day or night, as its the only way some pathetic road users ever see my car, or any other 7, as there so low to the ground

Mine not helped by being green

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Sam_68

posted on 26/4/18 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I used to run 'Sevens' as my daily drivers, so used to do a fair amount of night driving when I was younger.

Biggest problem I found is that you're so low to the road that you suffer glare from the headlamps of oncoming traffic, even when they're on dipped beam.

CosKev3

posted on 26/4/18 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
If your running Dominator headlights night driving is not nice!
I never knowingly go out in the dark,but if I get carried away on a run or go to the local Westfield meet I have to drive home in the dark!
I can't see how people think it's enjoyable really,as one of the big parts of being out in our open top cars is all the nice countryside/surrounding's IMO,which can't be seen in the dark!

snapper

posted on 26/4/18 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Well, I wouldn't want to be on a motorway in pitch dark & pouring rain, but other than that, what's the problem with driving at night (other than it can get a bit chilly!). Just make sure you've got some decent headlights!

But driving at speed in daylight in rain I can only describe as Biblical coming back from Le Mans with me as your back stop was OK then?!?

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Bluemoon

posted on 27/4/18 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
I used to run 'Sevens' as my daily drivers, so used to do a fair amount of night driving when I was younger.

Biggest problem I found is that you're so low to the road that you suffer glare from the headlamps of oncoming traffic, even when they're on dipped beam.

Yes thats what i find. Just be carefull, and take it easy..

russbost

posted on 27/4/18 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

But driving at speed in daylight in rain I can only describe as Biblical coming back from Le Mans with me as your back stop was OK then?!?

Well, if we wanted to make the ferry we didn't have a lot of choice! But I have to say it wasn't a fun drive & had there been a sensible alternative I would have taken it!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tims31

posted on 27/4/18 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
After driving mine in the dark last year and not being able see a dam thing, I upgraded to some LED lamps from Furore when they had a sale on in January.

These are so much brighter than the 5 3/4inch mini lamps fitted previously and no excuses for people not seeing me coming as it has a DRL Halo too.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Andi

posted on 27/4/18 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Love driving back from the monthly meets in the summer at night. Through the countryside and into the city.
There are some lovely smells about too .. Especially going past the bakery

I wear yellow ballistic glasses as I need something over my eyes with an aeroscreen and normal sunglasses are obviously a no no, and a helmet dulls the experience (on a short run).

coyoteboy

posted on 30/4/18 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if polarised, but not tinted, lensed glasses would help reduce glare.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.