Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Changes every year?
RichN

posted on 24/10/18 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Changes every year?

I have always changed the engine oil and filter every year on my Riot. However I've been wondering if it is absolutely necessary given that I only do c.1000 miles a year.

I would normally do it at this time of year, before its winter hibernation, but the oil still looks like new.

What do you all do?

CosKev3

posted on 24/10/18 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I would say you've been changing it at the wrong time of the year!

Fresh oil and filter after the winter,ready for using the car

For the cost I would say keep doing it yearly,sitting over winter you can get moisture in the oil,and if you start the car up over winter and it doesn't get up to full temp the moisture in the oil/crankcase doesn't evaporate.

coyoteboy

posted on 24/10/18 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Think you're all missing the point, you're not doing enough miles

coyoteboy

posted on 24/10/18 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Think you're all missing the point, you're not doing enough miles

PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/10/18 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Modern synthetic oils it's not required, you wasting your money in my opinion, modern synthetic oils last at least 20000, even if your doing very low mileage every 3 or 4 years will be fine
fregis

posted on 25/10/18 at 04:07 AM Reply With Quote
i change oil 600-1000 miles, i don't look to kmh, just hear the engine. engine will tell you then to change - sound, pressure. Time also depends driving style.

Theoretical modern oil change 20K, but is buslhit. I was in laboratory where they do tests, they comfirm, almost all "20k oils" getting worse from 10K, marketing trick

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

steve m

posted on 25/10/18 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I don't bother, as owning a xflow, means just toppimg up every week, has the same effect

Seriously, I do mine every year, regardless, and my tintop every 5k

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 25/10/18 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Change the oil and filter annually just before you put the car back on the road after winter.

As said above the oil will gather moisture and replacing the oil and filter does no harm.

Oil and filters don't cost a fortune either!

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/10/18 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth looking at why you do only 1000 miles a year

Lack of weather protection? is it even the right kind of car to suit your circumstances? when you add the cost of MOT, insurance, road tax & fuel for so few miles it's probably working out very expensive for what you getting out it...

Maybe a sporty production car say an little MX5 would get much more use and be almost as much fun

Just a suggestion.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 25/10/18 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Might be worth looking at why you do only 1000 miles a year

Lack of weather protection? is it even the right kind of car to suit your circumstances? when you add the cost of MOT, insurance, road tax & fuel for so few miles it's probably working out very expensive for what you getting out it...

Maybe a sporty production car say an little MX5 would get much more use and be almost as much fun

Just a suggestion.....

Fair comments.

After building my MK Indy we ended up with 3 kids (1 + twins). Ultimately a 2 seat car with no weather protection just didn't make sense or get used enough so I sold it on. A couple of years later I acquired a 205 GTI. SWMBO wasn't overly impressed at first, but 5 seats and a roof meant we could all get in at the same time. She came around to my thinking pretty easily after that

[Edited on 25/10/18 by nick205]

Irony

posted on 25/10/18 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Seems that everyone has a different opinion on the oil change thing. Personally as long as long as the car is run up to temp every month or so during the winter I think you'll be fine changing at the manufacturers recommended intervals.

Are some of you saying then that oil has a shelf life of less than a year? Because I very very much doubt it. How is it going to absorb water once its in the sealed oil system? From the exhaust valves?

Wow you can tell you car needs a oil change from the engine sound?

RichN

posted on 25/10/18 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pointers here. I don't think that there is a clear conclusion, but I will probably change it before it goes back on the road next year.
02GF74

posted on 25/10/18 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Change the oil and filter annually just before you put the car back on the road after winter.

As said above the oil will gather moisture and replacing the oil and filter does no harm.

Oil and filters don't cost a fortune either!

Where is this moisture coming from, the engine lubrication system on cars is more or less closed, I can't see it being a problem unless the car is parked in a swimming pool. And in any case, running the engine for a while once it is up to temperature should clear any moisture.... Although as it cools down, any water vapour will condense.

As for oil going off, it was underground for millions of year, a couple more years ain't gonna make any difference.

Personally Im in the camp of you are wasting time and money.
5 years or 6k miles should be fine.

It'd be interesting to see if they have been any investigationd into this and the results/recommendations

ReMan

posted on 25/10/18 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed. I’m much to stingy to Chang that often 5k 5 years for me. Do let it go for more than 6 months without starting it!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

RichN

posted on 26/10/18 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I don't use mine over the winter and it just sits in the garage under a cover usually for 5 months.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.