Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC Mk indy for £5k?
stu da rude

posted on 29/10/05 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
BEC Mk indy for £5k?

Not got a winter project yet, ive set myself a budget of £5k for the next one. i really fancy a BEC Mk indy, just a quick question really to see just how much the BEC's you guys have built have cost? Am i being realistic? i know a lot depends on engine choice, im thinking FZR 1100 or blade at the mo, simply for the ease of fittting. Im an engineer by trade, have use of my dads garage, (not that he knows yet... and once my resto's finished...) so whaddaya you guys think? It would be purely a second car, so it aint gotta be remotely sensible.. ;-)

OX

posted on 29/10/05 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
i built an R1 powered mk indy for £6000 ,you could do it for less by shopping around more
stu da rude

posted on 30/10/05 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
R1 power would be nice, if a little outside of my budget perhaps? has anyone done a blade engined 1 for around the 5K mark? or any other bike engined variant for that matter? i wanna build something that scares me....

Hellfire

posted on 30/10/05 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
We built a blade for £6,000 but we never scrimped on anything and planned for a £6K build.

It would be difficult - but you could do it but only just if you do exhaust yourself and recondition most parts yourself. Blade engines have come down a lot in price. Wheels/tyres are always an expensive choice, it depends what you want ATEOTD.

Stick as near as you can to the donor... therefore you would want the cheapest Sierra 1.6L no power steering (for rack and column) no lsd, no rear calipers front uprights/hubs etc loom and as much as anything else you can. I reckon you could do it... but as I say, just!

HTH

[Edited on 30-10-05 by Hellfire]

stu da rude

posted on 30/10/05 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
looks like upping my budget then, i dont wanna have to penny pinch, i fancied a disk all round, lsd equiped, blade powered mk, ill probably recon the bits myself anyway, but farm out bits like the exhaust and other mods to pros, just for peace of mind that when i come to fit them they will do just that! its gonna be primarily a track car, whats the opinion on lsd's with BEC's?

stu da rude

posted on 30/10/05 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
bec

just a quick thought, should this be in the BEC section?

Hellfire

posted on 30/10/05 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
If you scrimp a bit you may manage £5K if you're lucky

If you want to do a few trackdays, I think you're gonna want an LSD.

[Edited on 30-10-05 by Hellfire]

Avoneer

posted on 30/10/05 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I should be on the Road for under £4k with my blade locost - but it's involved a lot of work building and re-engineering a lot of bits from scratch.

And not to mention calling in all my favours from all my friends!

I probably would do the MK indy route unless you fancy a load of hard head scratching work.

It's also a case of living on the net and ebay and being in the right place at the right time for the bargains.

£6k would see you a nicely finished MK blade if you don't get too extravagant.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
welderman

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Built my MK Blade for just under 5k, alot of hard work and it helps if you know the people in the know, you know.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

andy_mullin

posted on 31/10/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have a MK Indy with a Fazer 1000 fitted, engine supplied by Martin. MK built the chassis for the engine. The chassis has a full roll cage and is powder coated.

The back end has a LSD fitted, new alloy tank with new shocks and springs as well as new calipers and disks all round.

The front has a quick rack fitted and a new rad. The Dash is fitted with a Digi Dash. The seats are MK's with new harnesses, but I have some new Westfield seats available at an extra cost.

The exhaust is also new and in SS again supplied by MK.

This car needs nothing extra to complete it. Everything was bought from MK or Mac 1.

I will take £5k so grab yourself a bargain, no offers.

It is all but finished, I do not have the time to spend on it at the moment.

I will post some pic's as soon as I can.

Andy

stu da rude

posted on 31/10/05 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a well specced car mate, i just really fancied building one myself! get some photos up, sounds ace, best of luck with the sale.

Peteff

posted on 31/10/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Easy solution.

Buy it, take it apart and rebuild it. If you do get round to doing one you'll be struggling to find the parts on offer for a similar outlay and you'll have the hassle of sourcing them and the expense of collecting them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

greggors84

posted on 1/11/05 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Like Pete said, spend the winter stripping the car down and learning how it all goes back together. It will be ready in time for spring then as you probably won't get much time in it over the winter.
Most of the time spent building is working out how everything is going to go together but if its all been together once it should be easy. It means you can mod little things too if you want to change bits.

I don't think you will build to that spec for 5k so its a very good option.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

peanutjb

posted on 1/11/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Im currently looking further into building a bike engined indy during my year in placement. If I can build one to a reasonable spec for 5-6K then im going to do it.

Im looking at a similar kind of spec to you, i.e. R1/blade engine, quick rack, lsd, discs all round, race seats & harnesses, and some stuff to be piked off our old formula student cars, paddle shift and some other engine goodies (turbo anyone?).

I want something to do during my year out, and whats better for learning how to design cars than building one!!

Good luck with the build/budget. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers
peter

zxrlocost

posted on 1/11/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
first of all to build I have done nothing different to anyone else

and have got some good prices along the way

most parts have been replaced new

MY R1 INDY £1100 for engine and loom
with new 16" pro race wheels toyo tyre £560

new callipers and discs all round £450

and generally everything else is the general costs from mk

I figure my car complete will cost 7.5k

I reckon by going fireblade and using 20 quid headlights and cheaper otherstuff etc

you could get this down to 6k

stu - where do you live in the west mids mate

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

zxrlocost

posted on 1/11/05 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Im talking shite again my car I meant 6.5k and a fireblade budget build under 5.5k
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

stu da rude

posted on 1/11/05 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
zxr locost: im near dudley, in tipton mate, u local? thanks for all the replies people, im just finishing off a resto project at the mo so bringing something else home to build would not go down well with the folks! im aiming to be done for the new year...

peanutjb: good idea! whatever i decide to do ill keep everyone posted! same goes for you mate, keep us informed!

[Edited on 1/11/05 by stu da rude]

zxrlocost

posted on 2/11/05 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
hi mate I live in cannock

if your still on the forum in about 4 weeks time give us a shout and ill take you for a thrash.

sideways round longford island

then down the straight at coming on 400bhp per ton

chris

stu da rude

posted on 2/11/05 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chris! sounds like it's well worth an afternoon!

zxrlocost

posted on 2/11/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ha! Im glad I didnt say that to the person who first took me out in a BEC "worth an afternoon"

I was officially shitting myself after about 2.5 minutes. then I remember after that I saw a big bend that was so sharp I couldnt see out of it then looked at the speedo which was just on its way down from 100mph with no intention of braking

after that I closed my eyes and thought I was going to die!
The driver was very talented though

But pulling back into MK's premises was the most reliefed moment of my life

I will never be a passenger again!

chris

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.