Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Run Away Car
ash_hammond

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Run Away Car

Morning Chaps.

Last night after coming off a long drive I parked my car out side my parent’s house, which is on a sheepish hill. I applied the hand brake and exited the car as normal. After being in the house 15 or so minutes I heard some one yell - "The car is moving down the road" Luckily or maybe not the neighbors car was only 6ft away so my car gently nudged into theirs and no major damaged - just a few scuffs.

What I found strange was, the car had managed to stop still on the hill for 15 minutes and then decided to roll. The handbrake was applied (checked it when re-entered the car. After the event had unfolded it was decoded that the rear discs must have been hot - therefore slightly expanded. Now the car had been stood and the brakes had cooled, it had allowed the handbrake to slacken slightly, just enough to allow the car the move slowly. If the car had been parked on the flat there would have not been enough force to move to car.

Has any one ever come across this before?

Cheers

Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

muzchap

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Nope - that's gutting

Keep it in 1st if parked on an upwards slope, if on a downwards slope, leave in Reverse.

I never trust handbrakes on a slope...

HTH.

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

melly-g

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
yes a mate at work had the same with his Bora! Parked in his drive Quite a steep hill and looked out of his window before going to bed to see his car parked in his neighbours hedge! It just missed the front of Neighbours car as well.

As you say disks expanding then cooling once stood! Leave it in gear as well!

mookaloid

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Citroens used to be famous for this - it isn't a citroen is it?
graememk

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
my citroen c5 used to do it

i got used to leaving it in gear, seeing as i live in lincs its not second nature parking on hills anyway

Agriv8

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Citreon BX did it twice .

Handbrake used to be on front wheels to allow them to sag as the suspension dropped .

second occassion it rolled accross a road
between 3 parked cars and came to rest on a rockery.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

ash_hammond

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
No not a citroen, 06 Focus. Before the event happened i tested (with me in the car :-) ) to see if the car would hold on the hill in gear, the hill is that steep that there is enough force to turn the engine and gearbox over and force the car down the hill at a decent speed. After those results i never bothered leaving it in gear, if the hand brake cable snapped it would have rolled regardless.

I think the saying is

"shit happend" :-(

What made the situation worse was the neighbour had 10 ppl round for a bbq so the whole bloody familly had to come for a gorp! and express their views.

ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

NS Dev

posted on 7/8/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
ahhh hilly sheffield!!

Was up there this weekend funnily enough. Popped up to derwent ressy with my girlfriend and there were a few dax rushes around up there, anybody on here?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

02GF74

posted on 7/8/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Citroens used to be famous for this - it isn't a citroen is it?

nope; thinik it was the laguna - advertising slogan was "it's moving evenwhen it is still" or somethig lke that - use to rooll away all the time.

A prper car like a volvo wpold have drums as well as rear discs fopr this reason.

mike smith1

posted on 7/8/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
My friend is a ford mechanic and the exact same thing happend to him at work with a brand new st mondeo, except it wiped out a st focus with it oops!

Mike

Avoneer

posted on 7/8/06 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Put it in 5th gear then!

I always leave my car in gear.

Makes it harder to steal as well if they want to drag it onto a trailer after cutting the handbrake cables.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Syd Bridge

posted on 7/8/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
It's always best to leave a car parked 'in gear'.

Although, here in UK, I'm told it is a fail at licence test time if you do so.

In Aus, the exact opposite. Leave the car parked out of gear and you've failed.

Also, should leave it parked on hills with the front wheels turned into the kerb, just in case the sort of thing described above happens.

'In Gear', would seem the most obvious and common sensible. To me at least.

Cheers,
Syd.

romer

posted on 7/8/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Seen this happen quite few times with road rally cars.
Sitting there waiting for results, eating your breakfast while looking out the window and trying to keep awake after the night long sport - then you see a driversless car slowly, silently and earily float past the window . . WOW, you sure wake up with a start. Never seen so many sleepless people move as quick

Yup, down to hot rear brakes.

Romer

MikeRJ

posted on 7/8/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, this is a far from uncommon occurence with rear discs. A drums brake will get tighter as it cools (and the drum contracts) but discs most always loosen off. The moral of the story is to always leave you car in gear when you leave it.
Peteff

posted on 7/8/06 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Keep it in 1st if parked on an upwards slope, if on a downwards slope, leave in Reverse.

It won't make any difference, it's only the compression holding it so it will still turn over forwards or backwarsd if the hill is steep enough, I doubt if the weight of a locost will turn it over though

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mcerd1

posted on 7/8/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
the other type of handbrake for cars with rear discs has a small drum inside the disc (i.e. normal brakes = disc, handbrake = small drum in centre)
I think thats what on the old cavaliers or vectra's (but I could be wrong)

landrovers have a drum on the back of the gearbox as a parking brake (it gets a mechanical advantage that way)

indykid

posted on 7/8/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
landrovers have a drum on the back of the gearbox as a parking brake (it gets a mechanical advantage that way)

it might get a mechanical advantage, but they're still crap!

i don't trust the lurch as the backlash gets taken up in the diffs with transmission brakes. and even then, you're never sure if it'll hold. most unnerving.

there just seems to be a better and better case for having drums on the back of a locost. i would say that though

tom(with drum braked indy)

cloudy

posted on 7/8/06 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Put it in 5th gear then!

Makes it harder to steal as well if they want to drag it onto a trailer after cutting the handbrake cables.

Pat...

remember the force is coming through the gearbox backwards, meaning 1st is the highest ratio - using 5th is a bad idea, it gives the most mechanical advantage against the engine....

www.warnercars.com

DIY Si

posted on 7/8/06 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
You could always just take a brick with you.....

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

2Fast

posted on 7/8/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Put it in 5th gear then!

Pat...

remember the force is coming through the gearbox backwards, meaning 1st is the highest ratio - using 5th is a bad idea, it gives the most mechanical advantage against the engine....

I would have to agree with Cloudy here, 5th is a 1/1 ratio on a lot of cars whereas 1st is lower and would therefor need more effort to turn the engine.

I find with my MR2 that pulling the handbrake up one more notch than usual on a hill holds it rock solid (handbrake grabs rear disc), my driveway is on a steep incline and even after a good thrash and half an hour wait i can push on the car and it'll stay solid, i tend to leave it in first though just in case.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/8/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
the other type of handbrake for cars with rear discs has a small drum inside the disc (i.e. normal brakes = disc, handbrake = small drum in centre)

The Astra GTE and Cavalier SRi's both used this system, very effective it was too IME. However, I suspect there must have been a weight penalty for having two entirely separate braking systems.

r3nuf

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Colleagues newish M3 Convertible did the same.

Caused a few quid's worth of damage to his car and neighbours.

This was a couple of weeks before it got nicked off his drive! Poor bugger.

Drive Fast....Brake Late....Take Chances

Liam

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

The Astra GTE and Cavalier SRi's both used this system, very effective it was too IME. However, I suspect there must have been a weight penalty for having two entirely separate braking systems.

Ah haaaa!!

Of course - that's why my Omega has a little drum handbrake mechanism sort of in the rear disc bells. Absolute geniuses! I'll never knock it again... unless I ever have to work on it again that is...

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I had a car run away once down a steep driveway into the road. Fortunately no damage but ever since then I always always always park in first gear with the handbrake on.

John

DIY Si

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had my van do it on a customer's drive once whilst I was sat on her drive! Thankfully it's only a transit connect so I could wedge my foot under the front wheel and stop it. Only realised when I heard a creak and a movement out of the corner of my eye.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.