Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ARRGGGHHHH DISASTER STRIKES!!!!
NS Dev

posted on 6/9/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
ARRGGGHHHH DISASTER STRIKES!!!!

Not a good day yesterday, amongst the many disasters the one that is relevant here is that between them, my brother and his mate managed to start a car they were working on in gear (while they were not in the car!) and drove it into the locost.......................

damaged the nose (which wasn't fitted) wrecked the bonnet (got trapped between the 7 and the grasser) and crushed the polo rad and mounts, plus broke the indicator pods.

bugger!!

Just thought I would post on here in case anybody happened to have either a grp stuart taylor locost bonnet in black, or even better an ally bonnet to fit a stuart taylor locost???

Would like a polished ally one and this is a good excuse to swap!

Anybody know if a caterham one can be altered slightly to fit?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

thomas4age

posted on 6/9/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Sh*t

Always disconnect the batterie when working on your car. now you know why.
or else the small wire on the selonoid.

sad way for parts to come to an end this way. hope noone got injured.

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

NS Dev

posted on 6/9/06 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
no, no-one injured, was a communication cockup. Brother's mate had started the car several times thought the window, but in between times my bro had put it in gear to stop it trundling away as the handbrake cable was off!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Kissy

posted on 6/9/06 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Got the mould for my GRP bonnet which fits between ST nose and scuttle - welcome to use it. See my archive (or you could buy the whole car!)
iank

posted on 6/9/06 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Nat: That is crap news, hope the chassis/panelwork wasn't damaged.

Apologies for the thread hijack, but Kissy which model of Tillett seats are you using (saw the pictures in your archive) they seem to have relatively high backs for kart seats.

MikeR

posted on 6/9/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have the broken GRP bits - give me something to play with to get sizing before buying my own GRP.

look on the bright side,errrm, no, can't think of one yet

procomp

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi nat i have the template for the ali st bonnet and you might be lucky as i have a dark blue nose but has cut outs for a anti rollbar . or if you are really keen i will do you a deal on our nose and scuttle and ally bonnet so you get that engine where you want it . Can see our body dims at the donny show as i have one of the locosts on the 750 stand. Altho i know you like the lower bonnet line .

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Matt!

Think I will prob keep the existing bonnet line as it is a fair bit of work to alter that now, and yep, I do like it that way (until I smash my sump!)

Think I will prob make use of the template though if that's ok, would rather have an ally bonnet than the grp one.

Think my nose will be ok, most of it will polish/cut out of the gelcoat and I am not building a concourse car anyway. The damaged gelcoat is in a fairly difficult to see bit so I think I will just slap a bit of black flowcoat gel over it.

cheers again, will get in touch about the template in the next couple of days.

Peteff

posted on 6/9/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
That's tough Nat,

I did something similar a few years back. My clutch was stuck to the flywheel and I tried jamming it in as the revs were dying off, it went in and the car leapt forward knocked my bike through the door and split the nosecone. It matted and filled o.k.. If your engine is below the bonnet line you should have no problem making an ali bonnet.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Kissy

posted on 6/9/06 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Tillett seats are single seater/clubmans (Mallock etc) seats. They are not much higher than 100cc Kart seats, unlike kart seats they do not have the crotch bump to stop you submarining under braking.

They were a bargain a couple of years ago, £50 each from Tillet with the fitting kit!!

the_fbi

posted on 6/9/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Either on here or wscc there was a brand new Polo rad for £25 yesterday...

Maybe gone

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=44591

[Edited on 6/9/06 by the_fbi]

romer

posted on 6/9/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have to sympathise with whats happened and not really a a help to you, but it reminded me of a time at work years ago when one of our technicians (??) was working on one of our simca vans (said it was a while ago didn't I) he was under it in the pit checking something, when he asked another technician/apprentice to start it. They leaned in and turned the key - damn thing was obviously in gear, fired up first time (unusual) and shot straight out of the workshop door
Luckily there was a wagon parked right outside the door sideways on and the van just hit the trailer wheels and stalled.
You can imagine the guy down the pit, what with it starting first time and then woosh, it's gone

Obviously could have been pretty nasty, but as with a lot of these things quite funny afterwards.

Romer

Cheffy

posted on 10/9/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dev,

Don't know if this is any use to you. Stauart Taylor bonnet on ebay. Doesn't say what it's made of and would need spraying.

http://cgi.eb ay.co.uk/STUART-TAYLOR-LOCOST-BONNET-FACTORY-SECOND_W0QQitemZ290027700231QQihZ019QQcategoryZ100921QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nothing to do with me, just noticed it while mooching around ebay.

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 11/9/06 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
NS.

I feel your pain as I had a close call with a similar incident, luckily the car didn't fire up and just jerked forward enough to almost and I mean ALMOST pin my friend between the car and the wall. Didn't touch him, but the scare was enough to leave us both with wierd tingling and faster heartbeats for a while! I now ALWAYS check the gearchange for neutral....

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

MikeR

posted on 11/9/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just realised something reading that, i always start the car with the clutch in!

except the toy car

trextr7monkey

posted on 13/9/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
No consolation but a laugh at someonelse's misfortune is no sin! Brother in law was working on his Audi 100 Automatic- it slipped itself into gear and shot through a wall, fortunately he wasn't in the way and the wall was built by Council so not to brick s house standards, he was hacked off at paying for car and wallrepairs!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.