Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: URGENT TIN-TOP QUESTION PLEASE
romer

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
URGENT TIN-TOP QUESTION PLEASE

Hi Guys,
I'm stuck in the middle of a job and am desperate for a bit of information please.

I'm renewing the back brake pads and maybe disks (haven't got the other side off yet), but can't get the caliper piston to return inside the caliper.

The car is a "54" plate VW Bora with non-vented rear disks with handbrake incorporated into the caliper (ie no seperate shoes) - I'm told it's the same set-up as the mk4 Golf.

I've removed the reservoir lid to allow fluid expansion and have tried (but not too hard in case I brake anything) to force the piston back in using a G clamp across the piston face and the rear part of the piston housing.
The two bolts have been removed to split the sliding part of the caliper so the sliding part is seperate and being held by the handbrake cable and fluid line.

Any suggestions please as I'm about pulling out what is left of my hair.
I'm fairly convinced I've missed something simple . . . but sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

Heres hoping

Romer

David Jenkins

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Is the brake pedal fully back to its normal position? Only then will it allow fluid back into the reservoir.

HTH

David

Jon Ison

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look round the caliper for some sort of "wind back" mechanism I remember on the Gti golf you had too wind the pistons back in, its some sort of self adjusting your looking for, just a guess but i think that is what it will be, maybe even the piston its self will wind in.
scottc

I think you have to turn it back in. Don't think you can just push it in.
Simon

Is it a screw in piston - may not be smooth but "castelated" sort of thing.

Screw in is for the handbrake self adjustment.

ATB

Simon

asn163

Just a suggestion.

Don't. know if the golf is the same as a focus, but IIRK on the ford you also have to screw the piston into the caliper as you apply pressure.

Great minds obviously think alike!

Simon

[Edited on 13/1/07 by asn163]

[Edited on 13/1/07 by asn163]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Never done a bora rear brake reline,but other rear brake calipers I've come across,have a self ajusting mechanism built in,which you have to turned the piston,to ensure it returns to its original position,to when the pads were new,for example on the ford sierra rear caliper,there is a special tool for doing this,but you can do it with a pair of long no pliers,so see if you can screw the caliper piston back in some how,good luck

don't you just hate it when everyone can type faster than you

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

romer

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for those comments guys, will check them right now.
The pedal should be at the top as the spring should be holding it there, but will check that as well.
I did notice some cross (semi castleation (sp) on the piston) will check and see if I can turn it.
Any ideas if that thread would be different depending on which side of the car it was, ir will it just be a standard thread??

Cheers

Romer

romer

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to try those things now - will report back.

If anyone has any other comments I'd appreciate them.

Romer

Jon Ison

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure that will be it, you asked the audience and got a 100% screw it back in answer........... locostbuilders at its best.
Simon

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would have been first but wasn't logged in when I sent my reply, and got the "no anonymous posting" message!

ATB

Simon

meany

posted on 13/1/07 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
a quick search on google, came up with this...its for a golf i know.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/06/autoblog-maintenance-201-brake-pad-replacement-part-ii/

romer

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meany
a quick search on google, came up with this...its for a golf i know.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/06/autoblog-maintenance-201-brake-pad-replacement-part-ii/

Thanks for tha "Meany" - I had googled to try to find something, but couldn't. The calipers in those pictures look just like mine.
I still can't get the b#&&*@ back in .
Will have to see if halfords sell those tools tomorrow

Thanks again everyone for your promt and helpfull suggestions.

Romer

ned

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
my dad's octavia is the same car and they need screwing in using a tool, bought or fabricated to rind the caselation in on the piston.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andybod

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
probably a bit late now but after you have wound the calipers in and put your new brakes in and refitted the calipers DONT touch the hand brake till you have pumped the brakes out otherwise you will unwind the hand brake mechanism off the piston at best strip and rebuild caliper at worst replace caliper
romer

posted on 13/1/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andybod
probably a bit late now but after you have wound the calipers in and put your new brakes in and refitted the calipers DONT touch the hand brake till you have pumped the brakes out otherwise you will unwind the hand brake mechanism off the piston at best strip and rebuild caliper at worst replace caliper

GOOD point.
No, it's not too late. Other matters have taken over and I've had to leave it now.
Will try to get a special tool tomorrow if halfords have one.
Just couldn't get that piston back in at all - damn, beaten by a tin-top!!

Thanks again folks - going home now and probably log on again later.

Romer

DIY Si

posted on 13/1/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've used am angry grinder key to screw them in before. Not sure if it'll fit your calipers though.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

raccoonradar

posted on 13/1/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you do get the piston back, make sure when you fit the pads get the peg on the pads lined up with the notch in the piston when fitting them
romer

posted on 15/1/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Finally got them sorted on sunday - bought the caliper piston tool from halfords - £19.99 - not too bad I don't suppose.
Trouble is the packaging didn't list it as being suitable for VW's though. As it happened, it was bang on.

Thanks again for all the helpfull suggestions.

Romer

Simon

posted on 15/1/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by romer
Finally got them sorted on sunday - bought the caliper piston tool from halfords - £19.99 - not too bad I don't suppose.
Trouble is the packaging didn't list it as being suitable for VW's though. As it happened, it was bang on.

Thanks again for all the helpfull suggestions.

Romer

Cool, you can put the plans up now, so we can all make one

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.