Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle computers
andrew.carwithen

posted on 18/10/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cycle computers

I think my original Fireblade electronic speedo may be U/S. (I bought clocks off ebay yonks ago and hence took it on trust that they worked ok)
Anyway, I know several people have used cycle computers as a cheap alternative and having done a search on subject, I have a few questions.
Do they have to be able to show over 100 MPH and if so, which ones do so? (Sigma seem to be popular - anybody used a Sigma BC5000 at all - looks to have nice basic functions)
I realise that they need some sort sort of night illumination which has been achieved by using number plate lights etc. but some are available with back-lit displays. Are these OK or does the back-light have to be controlled by the sidelight circuit?

Any advice welcomed.

Andy.

02GF74

posted on 18/10/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I used cheapy halfords one; dunno what is max speed but the SVA test up to 70 mph; I doubt they will run up to over 100 mph.

I wired in 2 white LEDs in a little hood to illuminate the display to the side lamps circuit. I cannot recall if having a separate swtich for the speedo e.g. have a battery to illuminitae it is acceptable - seems simple enough to tap into one of the instrument bulbs.

iank

posted on 18/10/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
You have to declare a design speed when filling in the application forms.

The speedo has to accurately read up to that value. If you can convince VOSA your car can't go over 99mph you don't need the extra digit.
It's also used for checking tyre markings and noise testing.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

lsdweb

posted on 18/10/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
You can get an illuminating kit for them from some motorbike dealers - I think M&P's do them
awinter

posted on 19/10/07 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Mine reads over 100mph, most will give you the accuracy range they run over and as lots will do kmh and mph they should read over 100kmh. pro cyclist can reach speeds of over 100kmh in the mountains, I'm no pro but have hit 56mph on me racer.

I have set mine to read slightly over by 2 mph just in case but have tested with GPS and it is accurate all the way upto 110 where my car hits the limiter in 6th.

romer

posted on 19/10/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
. . have tested with GPS and it is accurate all the way upto 110 where my car hits the limiter in 6th.

Obviously on a private road

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.