Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UBUNTU SCREEN RESOLUTION
romer

posted on 19/10/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
UBUNTU SCREEN RESOLUTION

Hi there, just wondered if anyone can help me here please.

Just recently loaded Linux Ubuntu onto a spare HD as I really want to get into Linux and kick MS away.
It was a version that came with Computer Active magazine - v7.04 IIRC.

I have a 19" wide screen monitor that is capable of 1440 x 960 (as is my graphics card), but can't get that option to be available.
I've googled the problem and found a possible cure, but it doesn't work.

Has anyone dabled with this version of Linux that might be able to help - in Laymans terms?

Thanks in advance

James

posted on 19/10/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I gave up with this problem in the end!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

britishtrident

posted on 19/10/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Save yourself a lot of grief and load Mint Linux, Ubuntu dosen't really come ready configured.
Mint is a pre-configured desktop version of Ubuntu with all the multimedia stuff installed.

The video drivers for the two most common brands are included in Mint and are easy to configure along with destop effects.

Also for best clarity from you monitor on any operating system use its "native" resolution not is maximum.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mal

posted on 19/10/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ubuntu

Ubuntu is now up to version 7.1 on their website. It was released a few days ago.

Mal

Humbug

posted on 19/10/07 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem with PC Linux OS - never managed to fix it... and as an aside I don't think you should have to use a less-than-full resolution of your screen- I have tried mine at different resolutions and I prefer it at max.

Might give Mint a try, though... anyone know for sure if it works with widescreens?

romer

posted on 19/10/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses folks.

Will try the Linuxmint download tonight - might take awhile at 690mb though

Will I be best to remove Ubuntu before I try and install Linuxmint in it's place ??

Cheers

Jerry

britishtrident

posted on 19/10/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
just let Mint Installer guide you through the installation.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

romer

posted on 19/10/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
just let Mint Installer guide you through the installation.

Ok will try that and report back when done . . . . . . . . . or pulling my hair out and looking for some assistance

Jerry

SixedUp

posted on 19/10/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like Ubuntu didn't detect the capabilities of your hardware properly. If you're sure your card and monitor can do that resolution, and you want to take one last try with Ubuntu before downloading Mint, then do the following:

Open a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and type "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf". You'll need to enter your password.

An editor should open up. Scroll down using the cursor keys, looking for a section like this:

code:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Generic Video Card"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Add into the "Modes" lines an extra resolution (in quotes) that matches what you want - in your case "1440x960". Press Control-o, and confirm you want to overwrite the file. Logout and log back in. You should now be able to select 1440x960 from the resolution changer (System->Preferences->Screen Resolution).

If that doesn't work (or your monitor complains of the signal being out of range) then by all means try Mint, but be aware that Mint is based on an older version of Ubuntu, so there is every chance that it won't recognise that your hardware can do that resolution either.

Good luck!
Richard

Peteff

posted on 19/10/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ubuntu site tells you how to do this.

Some here on the subject. Mine updated to the new gutsy gibbon release this morning, I can't see much difference though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Humbug

posted on 20/10/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Downloaded both Mint 3.1 and Kubuntu 7.1 (latest of both, as far as I am aware), burned CDs and tried both in CD mode only (i.e. without installing). result:

Mint - didn't recognise my 1400x900 screen. Also (IMHO, before anyone gets arsy ), I thought it looked a bit weedy, but maybe I'm too much of a fiddler ad tweaker (computers...)

Kubuntu - recognised my screen (1400x900 Hanns-G) out of the box. I also prefer the look and feel, layout, etc.

romer

posted on 24/10/07 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advise guys.
Managed to get a look at it last night and tried downloading linuxmint but stopped it after a while as it was going to take forever

Tried what you suggested Richard and that worked. I had checked my XP HD first and that runs at 1440x900 (not 960 as I orginally said), so I new the hardware was capable.

So, just my e-mail system to sort, printer, scanner, removable USB drives, camera, video camera and sound, then should be sorted

Thanks again,

Jerry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.