Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UBUNTU PROBS - PART 2
romer

posted on 16/11/07 at 02:26 AM Reply With Quote
UBUNTU PROBS - PART 2

Damn, thought it was too good to last.

Downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 and did a clean install (after an attempt at upgrading from 7.04 that didn't work).

The trouble is I can't get the internet connection to work.

I'm using a D-Link DSL-524T router and with tiscali.

I think I've got myself in a knot with all the settings that are possible - in Administration/Network and the settings in the router itself (by going through the IP address in Firefox).

Would really appreciate some pointers on this as the bags under my eyes are getting far too big with all the midnight oil spent trying to sort it.
Have got a magazine to do with installing Ubuntu, the router manual and some notes printed off tiscali to do with router set-up, but I'm still stuck!

Will log on tomorrow on my work pc and see if anyone has been able to offer assistance.

Thanks in advance

Jerry

ps
Managed this post by using my other XP-Pro hard drive.

britishtrident

posted on 16/11/07 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the PC isn't getting all its required networking settings from the router. Networking on the PC should be set to automatically pick up its Gateway and DNS settings along with its IP address from the router's DCHP server. Other possibllity it is a firewall setting on the PC that is blocking access.

The Ubuntu project is getting a lot of flak recently because it's depositories are too unstable which is why glitches like this slip through.

I would recommend you try the very latest version of Mint Linux which a properly sorted version of Ubuntu

http://www.linuxmint.com/

[Edited on 16/11/07 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 16/11/07 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

romer

posted on 16/11/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reminder about Linux Mint - IIRC you mentioned that during my last troubles, but with one thing and another I forgot

Have just looked at the link - I assume you mean v4.0 Daryna?
There are also 4 editions of that, again I assume you mean the main edition at 688mb?

If so will get SWMBO to set the pc to download during today and will have a go at an install tonight.

Any tips for the install - especially regarding router set-up?

Cheers

Jerry

Peteff

posted on 16/11/07 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Put the Feisty version back on and let it detect its own settings. I've been using this old PIII450 as my computer broke and it's now running 7.10 but it's updated from 7.04 this week via the net. The only problem I had was the network card needed seating. It's running fine but I still haven't put the sides back on I've got some bits coming today to get a new setup running hopefully.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 16/11/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by romer
Thanks for the reminder about Linux Mint - IIRC you mentioned that during my last troubles, but with one thing and another I forgot

Have just looked at the link - I assume you mean v4.0 Daryna?
There are also 4 editions of that, again I assume you mean the main edition at 688mb?

If so will get SWMBO to set the pc to download during today and will have a go at an install tonight.

Any tips for the install - especially regarding router set-up?

Cheers

Jerry

Right now I am running Celena main stream edition I am planning an upgrade to Daryna this weekend.

The difference between the editions is essential the desktop , mainstream is a customised version of Gnome with the more annoying Gnome eccentricities neutered. Community versions are KDE or XCFE.
Best to stick to the mainstream versions as the community editions are less well tested.

romer

posted on 16/11/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

. . . . . . . . . . . Best to stick to the mainstream versions as the community editions are less well tested.

Have set the pc off downloading this - me thinks it'll take ages as all the mirror sites seem busy - hopefully finished by tonight though

Jerry

zilspeed

posted on 16/11/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Read this thread this morning.

Eyed the dusty PII in the corner and promptly downloaded the ISO as a torrent.

Booted it as a live CD for a look. Ran a few video and sound files from the web without issue right off the CD. always a goood sign

Looked good.

Installed it.

Does lots of stuff well.

For general every day stuff, it does all you might need.

Reccomended.

P.S. downloading via torrent is a very good idea - I got just on 300 KBytes a second.

[Edited on 16/11/07 by zilspeed]

romer

posted on 16/11/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

. . . . . . . P.S. downloading via torrent is a very good idea - I got just on 300 KBytes a second.

Have to say I've never downloaded anything by torrent.
Not sure what it is, does or how to use it.

Jerry

zilspeed

posted on 16/11/07 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Download a torrent client and install it. Bittorrent is one example.

Then do a google search for the thing you are looking for.

e.g. "linux mint torrent"

Click the link and it will download into My Computer - Downloads. You don;t even have to look at the torrent client if you don't want to, it will run in the background.

Very simple really.

romer

posted on 16/11/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Download a torrent client and install it. Bittorrent is one example.

Then do a google search for the thing you are looking for.

e.g. "linux mint torrent"

Click the link and it will download into My Computer - Downloads. You don;t even have to look at the torrent client if you don't want to, it will run in the background.

Very simple really.

So is that quicker than just clicking and downloading as normal?
Otherwise don't see the advantage?

Cheers
Jerry

Keith Weiland

posted on 16/11/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest booting from the Ubuntu 7.10 CD and seeing if that is able to connect to the internet, if it is then have a look att he settings it is using and change your settings to match.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 16/11/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
My download took 35-40 mins.

That was the advantage

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.