Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting Garage - Advice pls
Kriss

posted on 13/1/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Painting Garage - Advice pls

Awaiting the arrival of my MK. I need to give my garage a sort out.

The floor is concrete and is pretty level. wanted to know if anyone knew what products to use to paint it to a nice smooth finish DIY. any special techniques/tools required with garage floor paints?

secondly the walls. they are awful. i can only describe them as chalk like finish. the are painted bricks - white - but just really crap. again, a strong smooth paint is required. can floor paint be sued on walls? is it to heavy and just rund downwards?

any advice would be great as well as any links to such products

cheers all

kriss

BenB

posted on 13/1/08 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Floor is an easy one. Floor levelling compound first if you want to do a proper job. Else just paint it with concrete floor paint. Different types available but I went with Screwfix own brand grey paint. Does the job nicely.

Walls I'd paint with a white (bounces light round the garage nicely) masonary paint. Easy to apply, dries quickly etc etc. You mention the walls are "chalky". Are you sure there's not some efflorescence going on there. Thats when salts get leached out of the bricks by moisture and you get a chalky / salty surface. If it's that it's a whole different kettle of fish...

You could use concrete floor paint on the floor- its certainly durable... but I haven't seen it in white which is my preferred choice for light reasons as stated above....

[Edited on 13/1/08 by BenB]

BenB

posted on 13/1/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote

= efflorescense BTW.

My garage was full of it when I moved in....
I just wire brushed the walls then walloped emulsion on (masonary paint is water proof so can trap moisture under it which obviously can be bad).

ruskino80

posted on 13/1/08 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
i am wanting to paint my floor aswell-i have the paint but am very concious of the temperatures,i feel if i painted it now it would need a couple of weeks to fully cure..........
orbital

posted on 14/1/08 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
What ever you use on your floor don't go near "International floor paint". Never has a paint been quite so unfit for purpose as this stuff.

I did my garage in the summer. completely emptied it, sorted the electrics and painted the walls. I then hoovered the floor to pick up any dust and crap, cleaned the floor with Internationals own floor cleaner, then hoovered it again after it dried, sealed it with International own concrete sealer. The next day I gave it another quick hoover (I know I know, enough with the hoover already!) and then painted it with Internationals red garage floor paint. Left it a full two weeks so the paint would settle and bond correctly and then brought my car over from my parents house.

A few weeks after that I was putting a new petrol tank in the Mac #1 and must have got some on the floor, next morning patch of paint about 12" in diameter had just lifted off!! I couldn't fricken believe it!! I then rolled the car back so I could have a proper look and where the tires had been it lefted slightly too!!

The moral of this story? International Paint is F*cking sh1t!!!!!!!

God that feels good Nothing like a good rant to make you feel better.

Cheers

Dave

ewan

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
When i did my floor I was advised to thin down the first coat 50/50 and the do 2 more coats. Fantastic finish.
Kriss

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
the walls do not seem like that picture, they are painted white but its like its chalky/powdery. there is no evidence of salt or damage to the structure.

what would people use to do the floors? someone said a garden brush!!!!

so i need floor paint
white spirit as thinners?
sealer - any thing in particular

garage is small single, car with no room once a car is in there. anyone able to advise ltrs require of everything?

Litemoth

posted on 14/1/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert (on anything come to think of it) but the two-pack epoxy type floor paints seem to be the way to go as they 'set' rather than dry. This will make them impervious to petrol and solvents (probably)

Random example http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/t/TORWBEFP/

I think some add sand to the paint to reduce arse over tittage too.

[Edited on 14/1/08 by Litemoth]

pewe

posted on 14/1/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
For a really locost solution I used a couple of coats of weak PVA Building Adhesive - still good after 5 yrs. (bu**er me has it really taken that long - no wonder SWMBO's complaining!!!).

Cheers, Pewe

StevieB

posted on 14/1/08 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
I started painting my garage before my Indy arrived, but only did 1/3 of the walls (around my workbench for light reasons as mentioned).

It kept soaking into the walls so badly that I needed 3 coats, which was time consuming and boring. That's why I only did 1/3 of the walls.

I plan to do the whole thing properly once the cars finished as the whole place is really grimey aftre 2 years of messing with old car parts and gringing things.

BenB

posted on 14/1/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit I got similarly bored painting and only painted round the car so there's a car shape area under the Locost that's plain concrete
Schrodinger

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Watco do a number of coatings take your pick

http://www.watco.co.uk/index.asp

Keith
Aviemore

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.