mac1

posted on 8/2/08 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilj37
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
quote:
Originally posted by neilj37
Twin internal exhaust...mmmm that sounds interesting. Any more details?

it came about in one of those "why does a 7 have to have an external exhaust" chats that builders have

The zx10r has a very high output shaft so lifting the line of the prop which in turn makes a nice exhaust sized hole in the tunnel, plus i wanted a quiet BEC haveing had the full on noisy model.
So we installed a pair of titanium bike cans in the rear and made it all route around the diff and into the tunnel

the exhaust is a mix of stainless and titanium all made,bent in house by Col
I wanted the car to be as driveable as the bike so also uses a proper airbox with cold air feed in the front grille which should also add a little ram air as per the bike
its very easy to have a chat at 80mph without the drone of a race exhaust by your left ear and it is very tractable pulling from 25 mph in 6th gear without any protest
Also as a bonus it should open up more trackday venues which are normally a struggle for BEC's
it was 92Db on SVA at 8000 rpm

Rich

I assume the that exhaust pipes are covered in loads of wrap to stop the heat from melting the tunnel cover etc.

No

chunkytfg

posted on 8/2/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have thought with the air rushing under the car it will probably dissipate heat quite well and stop the tunnel overheating?
neilj37

posted on 8/2/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunkytfg
I'd have thought with the air rushing under the car it will probably dissipate heat quite well and stop the tunnel overheating?

I was just comparing it too the heat my external exhaust gives off after a blast. It is that hot I can't touch it. I would have thought that an uninsulated exhaust would giv off quite a lot of heat.

jos

posted on 8/2/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
that means youve got the heater down the tunnel

no need for another heater

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

bigrich

posted on 8/2/08 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
there is'nt any heat issues at all in the tunnel or fuel tank areas and the only wrapping is in the engine bay to reduce under bonnet temperatures
as said the airflow does a great job of extracting heat from the tunnel area plus i use 2 seperate floors not 1 large sheet so the bottom isnt covered in

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

carpy

posted on 9/2/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies. I've sent a message to zxrlocost asking about building a turnkey Mac#1 (or maybe MK) so will see what he comes back with.

I think I really need to get out in some different cars to see what a BEC is like, and also see what a more powerful CEC is like (more powerful than the 140bhp caterham).

Got a trip to one of the factories lined up, so will see how it goes.

Oh and lastly, what is a "Worx" MAC#1? I can't see this anywhere on their website. I assume it's some kind of super light version or similar?

EDIT : Actually I think they are having some kind of meltdown on the website. There's stuff missing all over the place & more incomplete pages than complete ones! It's a real mish mash but I guess they are too busy building cars to notice!

[Edited on 9/2/08 by carpy]

[Edited on 9/2/08 by carpy]

m1moc

posted on 9/2/08 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Whoops sorry about that.

Both the factory website & OC website have been redesigned recently and we're still ironing out some of the gremlins.

Please dont let the websites put you off visiting the factory though

.: www.m1moc.com | Drive responsibly | www.mac1motorsports.co.uk :.

bigrich

posted on 9/2/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
The Worx is a lighter version of the standard 9r
it has a lighter chassis and bodywork and various other revisions and is 50 to 60 kilos lighter than a standard 9r

As you say the web site is still being evolved so has various missing links etc,

Mac#1 also offer a turnkey service if this best suits your needs, though IMHO the build is very very enjoyable with a great sense of achievment when you can say I built that

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

carpy

posted on 9/2/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I figured the website was a work in progress! Couldn't find any information about costs of turnkey cars, or the Worx car, or anything about the company! It won't put me off visiting though....

I'd dearly love to build one, but at the moment I don't have a garage (one being built in the next few months) but even still I just wouldn't get the time to build a car myself.

Im a single dad (4 year old girl!) and run my own business. Time is just something I don't have at the moment.

Am now in contact with Chris from the BEC so will see what he has for sale & will discuss getting him to build a new car also.

Thanks

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.