Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: This Sunday
ewan

posted on 22/2/08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
This Sunday

Gary has very kindly offered to to come down and help me/show me what to do with the electrics on my car.

If anybodys in the Newtonhill area of Aberdeen and fancies a coffee why not pop in. I need all the help I can get to get this bugger on the road this year.

Thanks

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Have you done any of it yet Ewan?

It looks daunting but not as bad in reality.

I spent a night or 2 in the house sussing out the wiring and grouping the cable into mini looms. Masking tape and marker pen is your friend here.
There will be sections you dont need (like electric windows, heater etc) so these can be shortend and insulated or just rolled up and taped out of the way.

In the car i got rear loom in first. Dead easy and a lump of wires less to worry about. You dont need the end bits there (like lights etc) yet but make sure there is a bit of spare length and everything is labelled.

Engine bay loom can come next. Hardest part is sussing out where everything will end up. I made sure no wiring went down exhaust side. You can loosely cable tie loom to chassis rails at this point and once you are happy everything is in place fit some split conduit later.

For dash loom i fitted fuse boxes and knowing roughly where the bits are loosly fitted the loom. Using a full compliment of savage switches and digidash added some complexity as the premier loom is centred around using the Sierra donor switches and clocks etc. The digi dash instructions are superb though so its not too bad.

Only other advice i can give is dont try and do gig loom sections an hour at a time on a night with a few night rest in between (unless you are a Nintendo brain training world maser). I spent more time sussing out where i was up to than mving forward. I found it better to plan full days and concentrate on getting it right first time.

You will look up at one point with aching knees, stiff neck, wheezing chest (from solder smoke) and suddenly realise you are finished.

Oh - and if you are fitting immobilisers or maybe megajolt in the future it can be worth running some wires now and labelling them up.

Earth points seem to like being grouped together and made substantial. Bad earths can be the root of all evils.

neilj37

posted on 22/2/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ewan
Gary has very kindly offered to to come down and help me/show me what to do with the electrics on my car.

If anybodys in the Newtonhill area of Aberdeen and fancies a coffee why not pop in. I need all the help I can get to get this bugger on the road this year.

Thanks

i might be out and about in my car over the weekend. what day was you thinking and where are you?

Message me details

omega 24 v6

posted on 22/2/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

what day was you thinking

LOL the key is in the title of the post Neil

Newtonhill is the location

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

neilj37

posted on 22/2/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Doh, spotted the day in the title after I posted, having a bad day at work.

But Netwonhill is a big place, guess I just drive around looking for the car !!

ewan

posted on 23/2/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Neil

If you drive into Newtonhill take the first left then left again I'm the house facing you, 25 St Ternans Road.

Hopefully see you sunday.

neilj37

posted on 25/2/08 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
It was good to meet you guys yesterday. Your car is looking good and I think you should persist with the electrics after you have gotten this far. Maybe strip out all the non used stuff after you have had some use out of it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.