Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 MAC1?
donut

posted on 22/2/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
V8 MAC1?

I have seen a Rover V8 installed in a MK Indy but would it be possible in a ZR?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jos

posted on 22/2/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
yup

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Too right.

When i take bonnet off mine i struggle to find the pinto within the cavernous engine bay.

Being a more upmarket car a rover wont cut it - you may need to go for yankie muscle.

mmmmmmmmmm, you have hit on a great idea................

How much can you fit a 250 - 300 bhp yankie V8 for? Do you need more to get them to shift? Are they heavier than Pinto?

donut

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Being a more upmarket car

And how do you come to that conclusion?

What makes MAC1 so good?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
quote:

Being a more upmarket car

And how do you come to that conclusion?

What makes MAC1 so good?

The calibre of the owners of course

A Mac#1 with good thumping v8 would be more exclusive than Cobra. Can it be done on similar budget to decent 4cyl ZR?

By my reckoning you could have a BEC and CEC Mac#1 for less than Cobra. % resale might be better too.

donut

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see how they can have any more room than any other similar 7. Mind you there are things about the car i really like and Mark & Colin are top dudes with a credit card facility unlike 'you know who' !!!

Andy

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I can't see how they can have any more room than any other similar 7. Mind you there are things about the car i really like and Mark & Colin are top dudes with a credit card facility unlike 'you know who' !!!

I dont have specific knowledge of other cars but knowing how easy the pinto fits in mine, aside from doing some measurements, i wouldnt have thought a V8 install would represent many issues. I assume overall heights are similar. All you have to account for is the 2 heads being a vee - well at least in my car there is a lot of room left and right. Im not saying you wont hve a bank of bike carbs out the middle of the bonnet but with some attention to detail you could have an awesome car.

What engine you thinking? Give Colin the engine and im sure he will make it fit and may even supply kit with the exhaust manifolds (have you seen the bender he plays with)

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Im puzzled - if youve seen a RV8 in a MK what makes you question if it will fit in a Mac#1. If anything there is a tad more room in the Mac#1.

donut

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking Rover V8 as it's not much heavier than the pinto but sounds a billion times nicer. I'm just thinking if it's possible to get it back far enough so the gearstick is in a good place.

Here is a pic of an MK with the V8 fitted. Note that the footwells curve giving a bit more room to get the engine back further possibly.

Lexus 4L
Lexus 4L

Andy

donut

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Also the steering will have to be re routed to get round the headders.

I will have to get someone local to do the headers as i live in North Surrey so nipping to Mac1 is not really on the cards.

Andy

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I dare bet if the engine was given to Mac#1 up front Colin will be able to get it sitting back and sort the headers at same time.

I agree with you - sound of V8 just cant be beaten. Only thing i dont understand is why the RV8 doesnt have a huge amount more power than 4cyl engines. Why cant a 3.9 V8 have 280bhp out of the box? That would make the car shift a lot.

I have a mate who deals in land rovers etc and the RV8 doesnt seem to hold a huge regard. Is it just the high thirst? Mind you my pinto is hardly environmentally friendly.

donut

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
You can get power from a RV8 but it costs! I just want the noise and std bhp is still 40+ more than my old pinto!! and don't forget theres more torque....and torque is KING!

[Edited on 22/2/08 by donut]

Andy

D Beddows

posted on 23/2/08 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
oh for heavens sake..... YOU REALY WANT A COBRA - SO GO FOR A COBRA - if you don't go down the tarts handbag £10K cream leather interior route then it wont be that much more expensive to build than a decent 7 with a V8 AND everytime you walk into the garage you wont have the urge to sell it to buy a cobra because you'll have one looking back at you......

[Edited on 23/2/08 by D Beddows]

Guinness

posted on 23/2/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

When i take bonnet off mine i struggle to find the pinto within the cavernous engine bay.

Darren mate, here is a clue! A photo from your own photo archive!

Cheers

Mike

P.S. Chevy V8 in you ZR would be way cool!

donut

posted on 23/2/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
oh for heavens sake..... YOU REALY WANT A COBRA - SO GO FOR A COBRA - if you don't go down the tarts handbag £10K cream leather interior route then it wont be that much more expensive to build than a decent 7 with a V8 AND everytime you walk into the garage you wont have the urge to sell it to buy a cobra because you'll have one looking back at you......

The type of cobra i really want ain't no 10K bag of shyte, it's going to cost at least £25k+ even to build myself (yes i have done the maths) and it would take years to save up for the parts or buy a finished car. Now don't get me wrong i will have one one day thats a100% deff cert but in the mean time i may aswell build something to keep my hand in so to speak and it won't loose money on it so it's a means to an end as i'll have something thats worth a few quid.

[Edited on 23/2/08 by donut]

Andy

Richard Quinn

posted on 23/2/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

The type of cobra i really want ain't no 10K bag of shyte, it's going to cost at least £25k+ even to build myself (yes i have done the maths) and it would take years to save up for the parts or buy a finished car. Now don't get me wrong i will have one one day thats a100% deff cert but in the mean time i may aswell build something to keep my hand in so to speak and it won't loose money on it so it's a means to an end as i'll have something thats worth a few quid.

[Edited on 23/2/08 by donut]

I think you missed the point! If I'm interpreting it correctly, the point was being made that if you didn't spend £10k on the interior etc then it could be put together for not much more than a decent 7. Not that you could build a £10k bag o' shite. Bear in mind what some cars on here owe their owners then I reckon if you didn't come over all connelly hide, Samco and chrome then a decent Cobra could be put together for not much more and still be a nice presentable car.
You won't make any money building a stepping stone. Put the money into ISAs or something instead and you will realise your dream a little quicker (you could still burn a handful of notes every week to make it feel like you've got a kit car on the go!)

donut

posted on 23/2/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Put the money into ISAs

so wheres the fun in that?

Andy

DarrenW

posted on 23/2/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

Darren mate, here is a clue! A photo from your own photo archive!

Cheers

Mike

P.S. Chevy V8 in you ZR would be way cool!

Thanks Mike - i love that pic. For those who arent a member of ne7ers - a nice fellow club member stuck that pic in my archive for me! How nice Made me chuckle rather a lot when i saw it.

DarrenW

posted on 23/2/08 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hows about this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/v8-small-block-chevy_W0QQitemZ280201739787QQihZ018QQcategoryZ100952QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

donut

posted on 24/2/08 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
nice but just think how heavy it would be!!

Andy

iank

posted on 24/2/08 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
brodix heads are aluminium so while it will be a bit heavier than a rover v8 it won't be as bad as you might think.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

donut

posted on 24/2/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't the L1 all ally?

Andy

Andy D

posted on 24/2/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
There's a Chev powered Westy about..

GROWL!!!

Nowt the matter with an anchor though!

donut

posted on 24/2/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Holy Baloney! Thats MAD!!!!!

Bet it sounds nice!

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.