Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lotus Elise S1
2b_pablo

posted on 13/3/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Lotus Elise S1

has anyone "upgraded" to an elise from a kitcar?

Im considering it due to it being a little more practical (ie you can drive it in the wet) and hopefully a bit more polished than my 7.

Any thoughts on the S1 in particular would be appeciated in terms of track experience etc. Budget would be 8k or so.

cheers

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

TimC

posted on 13/3/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Great to drive - stunning steering feel. Not particularly fast in a straight line (even in 135 form.) Roof leaks.

Can catch the unwary - can eat soft rear tyres on track.

Hammerhead

posted on 13/3/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one. It is a 190bhp one though, race spec for the elise challenge cup. I use it on the road. Not sure I would be into the 120bhp one as I am finding 190bhp just about adequate.

The handling is great though, but again I have lowered suspension, which I wouldn't recommend as it bottoms out easily.

I have to say that the S1 looks amazing, and I think it's a classic in its own lifetime.
£8k should get you a nice one. Even mine with 6000 miles on the clock and all the factory mods is only worth about £10k.

Oh and yeah the roof leaks!

My baby!
my elise sport 190
my elise sport 190

[Edited on 13/3/08 by Hammerhead]

2b_pablo

posted on 13/3/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
saw a damaged one for 4600 on ebay that looks interesting.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/e1/3c/7682_1.JPG

Id like to SC it later on if possible.

-----------------

RazMan

posted on 13/3/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I had a test drive in an S1 a while back and I found the biggest challenge was getting in and out of the thing Driving experience was good however I felt it needed a lot more power to raise the grin factor.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 13/3/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2b_pablo

Be warned - clamshells and suspension repairs are NOT CHEAP. Don't ask me how I know.

2b_pablo

posted on 13/3/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
seller says just clamshell damage. there is a clam on ebay too at £50 atm

-----------------

RazMan

posted on 13/3/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Be warned - clamshells and suspension repairs are NOT CHEAP. Don't ask me how I know.

Surely the clams can be repaired quite cheaply if they are fibreglass - just lots of elbow grease needed to make a good job.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hammerhead

posted on 13/3/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
The clams aren't too expensive to buy off ebay. I have recently sold 2 for between £200 and £250 each. Would need spraying if not a colour match. You would need to check the crash structure underneath hasn't been damaged, along with wishbones, wheel, upright.
I bought my repaired clams from a lotus dealer all fixed and in primer for £100 each!

Hammerhead

posted on 13/3/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you go SC route let me know your thoughts on the conversion. I have a 120bhp engine (which was the elises original engine) to go in mu Indy and I will defiunately need more power!!

2b_pablo

posted on 13/3/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
now youre talking

if it was just the clam Id be happy getting it sprayed etc as it would still be a cheap car.

what typically goes wrong with them? headgasket seems to crop up a lot.

-----------------

hobbsy

posted on 13/3/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I considered an Elise before I bought my first BEC.

TBH though to get near the performance I was after (as an upgrade from my 200SX with ~370bhp) I was looking at an engine swapped one so with K20A (Civic Type R engine) or 1.8T VAG lump (Audi TT or similar).

But then you're looking at thick end of £10k for a nice S1, same again for an engine conversion (or at least £5k if you manage to buy a kit of parts and a cheap engine).

So you're looking at £15k to £20k

And insuring a standard Elise isn't cheap - imagine what its like after an engine swap.

Plus if you crash it you've got a good chance of writing it off. I.e. DIY repairs to the monocoque aren't really possible.

And consumables (tyres, pads) are more expensive.

That said I had a pax ride in a 1.8T VAG engine S1 Elise and I was mightily impressed.

If I had more wedge to allocate to a toy I'd be tempted.

Its just the performance of a BEC is similar and everything costs less and is more practical (engineering wise rather than wet weather use etc)

[Edited on 13/3/08 by hobbsy]

Hammerhead

posted on 13/3/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance is cheap with adrian flux, they put it on a classic policy.

Headgaskets tend to be a problem if the engine is put under strain before it's warm, or the coolant has gone below the min level. I always check coolant and make sure the car is only trundled around until the temp is at 84 degrees, then give it some right foot.

Tyres aren't too bad, I have Toyo T1Rs on mine and they were only slightly more than they are for the Indy.

Just get one! you know it makes sense!

Oh yeah, and the ladies love em!

[Edited on 13/3/08 by Hammerhead]

2b_pablo

posted on 13/3/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
waiting on some info back on that damaged one if its ok then I might just buy it.

even if I fix it up and sell it on should be a bit of fun

Id consider getting the gasket done anyway, I presume there is some uprated effort available?

Lastly, can you transplant the engine from a ZR160 or something into them they are based on the K series arent they?

cheers all, lots of good info

-----------------

Hammerhead

posted on 13/3/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
waiting on some info back on that damaged one if its ok then I might just buy it.

even if I fix it up and sell it on should be a bit of fun

Id consider getting the gasket done anyway, I presume there is some uprated effort available?

Lastly, can you transplant the engine from a ZR160 or something into them they are based on the K series arent they?

cheers all, lots of good info

You could transplant an MGF engine.

2b_pablo

posted on 13/3/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
MGF is a 2L T-series isnt it?

-----------------

worX

posted on 13/3/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just use the Type R engine from a civic as has been said above...

Turns it into an ok car!

Steve

muzchap

posted on 13/3/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have an S2 and the 130hp standard (they all make about 130hp) is a perfectly acceptable car.

It absolutely devours corners, roundabouts etc - without lifting... Yeah fair enough you have to work the gears to keep it revving for good straightline speed - but that's boring - the real fun is braking on the last of the 3/2/1 signs at 100mph+ and getting some weight transference and nimbly flicking right/left for a roundabout.

The lack of weight in the front end made me nervous at the start, used to a big old heavy engine there, but a little heel/toe and the weight shift is beautiful.

I've decided to keep both.

I think I'll look at a power increase in the near future, but for now - it's just an absolute pleasure!

Insurance = £500 year, agreed value, fully comp

Head Gasket - replace the plastic dowels with steel dowels and get the new multi-layer 'sticky' head gasket

Also, worth considering is the thermostat mod that Land Rover introduced for the FreeLander - stops thermal shock

HTH

[Edited on 13/3/08 by muzchap]

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

Marcus

posted on 13/3/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

MGF is a 2L T-series isnt it?

Nope, they're all either 1.6 or 1.8 K series.
The 1.8 VVC (same as ZR) would be a cool option 160 bhp etc.
Or - possibly a little controversial, buy an MG TF!! You'd be surprised how close they come in the performance / handling stakes to an early Elise!!
I got one and, although never been on track with it (actually wifes car and she won't let me!!) I love driving it.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

itiejim

posted on 13/3/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had a VVT S1 Elise (111S) before my BEC Fury and cannot speak highly enough of it.

Supreme steering feel - but don't skimp on tyres unless you want to lose that (Yokohama Advan Neovas at £450 / set). Quick enough, practical enough, good on fuel, most bits are reasonably priced.

A real Lotus as Mr Chapman originally intended, I must admit, I wonder why I sold it.

Hammerhead

posted on 13/3/08 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
buy an MG TF!! You'd be surprised how close they come in the performance / handling stakes to an early Elise!!

in your dreams

DIY Si

posted on 13/3/08 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I used to be able to just about keep up with a friend of mine in one! He has an S1, near stock and the wife had the MG TF160. HE was better under braking, but otherwise, not too much in it. Although he does drive like a girl, so that may have had something to do with it!
Aico

posted on 13/3/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Howmuch does an Elise roof leak? Just a few drops? Also does it get on you or does it drip to the side of the doors?
DIY Si

posted on 13/3/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aico
.....Just a few drops? Also does it get on you or does it drip to the side of the doors?

They are the same thing in the Elise!

itiejim

posted on 14/3/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Usually just a few drops which come down onto the sill. However, with a little careful fiddling with the window heights and making sure the roof is on straight I managed to eliminate all leaks in mine.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.