Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speed Camera
Minicooper

posted on 16/3/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Speed Camera

Hello all,
I was coming down the A272 slowed for a 40 mph zone, continued on came round the corner straight into the path of a speed camera doing an indicated 44, what do you reckon, is that an automatic fine and points?

Cheers
David

graememk

posted on 16/3/08 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
44 on speedo might not even be 40 maybe 41/42 i'd of thought you would be ok.

did it flash ?

ricklawn

posted on 16/3/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
As i understand it you are allowed limit + 10%. so you are border line. i stand to be corrected though.
Rick

Minicooper

posted on 16/3/08 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry it was one of these mobile speed cameras that don't flash, bobby sat in the back of a van thing. First thing you know about it is a fine and points through the post.

That's what I was thinking I was probably doing a genuine 42 ish, less than what my speedo indicated anyway.

Cheers
David

muzchap

posted on 16/3/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
The -/+10% was actually reduced to 5% IIRC and is an 'optional' tolerance that can be taken into account by 'REGIONAL' police forces.

Certainly, some do not take this into account.

Their reasoning, all manufacturers have to pass the SVA test, speedo's are allowed to read under, but never over! If you modify your vehicle (wheels) and/or any other modification, it's your responsibility to ensure the 'Speedo' is recalibrated.

Hopefully, you'll just get lucky, it might have been out of 'film'

Although, soon the all new 'digital' camera's will alleviate this potential exclusion zone...

Best of British... If not, 3 points and £60.00

Edit...

In light of new information - if you applied the brakes whilst he was measuring your speed, you can do enough to give an inconclusive reading - they still have to zap you across a predertimined period, between the camera lense - (distance/speed travelled equasion).

I would also ask to see proof of the gun calculation, relating specifically to today, amazing how many forget to do this, if they don't have it - go to court and it will be dismissed by the judge instantly, that's if the police upon realising their mistake, dont withdraw the prosecution, certainly the CPS will...

Good luck again

[Edited on 16/3/08 by muzchap]

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

tjoh84

posted on 16/3/08 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
iv heard of 10% ruel aswell but not sure how true
brynhamlet

posted on 16/3/08 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have a GPS driven speed camera detector in my tin-top. It displays a GPS driven speedo, when not warning of cameras etc. My tin-top speedo is regularly out by up to 5-6mph at 70ish and about 3mph at 30mph. So if your speedo was registering 44mph when you saw the camera, it is quite likely you were doing 40-41mph, so don't worry
graememk

posted on 16/3/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
most coppers are ok with 5mph to be honest. i would say you'll be ok

Richard Quinn

posted on 16/3/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muzchap
Their reasoning, all manufacturers have to pass the SVA test, speedo's are allowed to read under, but never over! [Edited on 16/3/08 by muzchap]
According to my GPS, my tin top speedo is optimistic to the tune of about 10%

itiejim

posted on 16/3/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
The "rule" is 10% plus 3 mph, however it is not a stricy rule, just guidance given by the Association of Chief Police Officers.

Reading 44 though you really should be fine!

Macbeast

posted on 16/3/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that speedos would be allowed to read OVER, not UNDER.

Ie indicated 70mph, real speed 65 mph.

Neil P

posted on 16/3/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
The time needed to register your speed is tiny, the van ones use lazers and provide a pretty much instant reading. unless you brake and get your speed down before they target you, you've had it.

The ACPO guidance is 10% plus 2 mph which means you need to be in excess of 46 mph before you get prosecuted.

As most have already said, your speedo generally under reads by a few mph and you should be fine.

Neil

iank

posted on 16/3/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
I would have thought that speedos would be allowed to read OVER, not UNDER.

Ie indicated 70mph, real speed 65 mph.

That is the correct way round.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Minicooper

posted on 16/3/08 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys,
I shall keep you informed!

Cheers
David

K999NNY

posted on 16/3/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
Sorry it was one of these mobile speed cameras that don't flash, bobby sat in the back of a van thing. First thing you know about it is a fine and points through the post.

That's what I was thinking I was probably doing a genuine 42 ish, less than what my speedo indicated anyway.

Cheers
David

Depends on individual forces criteria and if theres a speeding campaign on as to what the cameras been set to.

muzchap

posted on 17/3/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
By 'read-under' I meant that the vehicle is actually travelling 'slower' than the indicated speed.

If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

02GF74

posted on 17/3/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muzchap
Their reasoning, all manufacturers have to pass the SVA test, speedo's are allowed to read under, but never over!

unless i am misreading ^^^^, the speedo must indicate more than the ture speed i.e. read over.

My bike speedo is calbirated to be about a couple of percent over - it is quite surprising how slow the true speed of traffic is on the motorway.

RazMan

posted on 17/3/08 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
The mobile traps are often a little more lenient and at 44mph I reckon you should be ok.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.