Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kids n booster seats ?
Jon Ison

posted on 12/4/08 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Kids n booster seats ?

What's the score in a 7 ?

Tried booster seat in car and no way will it fit, sat her in the seat and adjusted seat belts to suit, she looked safe n sound to me but whats the score ?

With the lap straps adjusted properly she looked safer than me ?

paulmw

posted on 12/4/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Children over 3 and below 1.35m should have and appropriate booster seat. I know the Police are finding it difficult to check as it can be tough to ask a 7 year old to be measured at the road side.

If your child is near to the 1.35m and can be secured with the harnesses OK but if not its a big no

Paul

bigrich

posted on 12/4/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
pretty sure DarrenW looked into this a while ago and the official line is its the same as any other car .

I think darren has made up his own to allow his Daughter to ride in the car.

probably worth a u2u or a search Jon

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

theconrodkid

posted on 12/4/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
make a booster from expanding foam?
please note i have no kids and know nothing about them apart that they are smaller than adults

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

itiejim

posted on 12/4/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
There is a clause in the law that says that you can transport children for a short, unscheduled journey - this is to cover the occasion when you have to get Granny to pick up the kids from school because you're going to be late.

Having said that, so far as I'm concerned, the main thing is that they're strapped in safely.

DarrenW

posted on 12/4/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
The clause in the law is extremely specific and covers emergencies only. Granny piccking kids up is defo not allowed unless it can be proven the parents were rushed to hospital and nobody else had a seat to loan her etc etc etc daft loopholes etc.

I lobbied the dept of transport on this and there are no concessions for our cars at all. I challenged and second challenged but no cigar.

In the end i managed to get a seat that fits. The law is specific regarding the approval marks etc so you cant get away with making your own or modding an existing seat if you want to stay legal.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but there are kiddy seats that fit. Mine was a fiver job from Matalan on one of those special one off purchases. If you do a search Jon you will see the details. I may still have the emails if you want to read through them (mega boring and basically says you have to use kidie seat).

The daft bit is the seat i found is for smaller lighter kids - no way a bigger seat will ever fit.

DarrenW

posted on 12/4/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I wont side track this thread into the pros and cons of the law - and why you can transport kids in a taxi but not for one off short journeys by relatives etc etc and why old cars withoutr seat belts dont need kids to use them in the back etc etc etc.

Bottom line - 7's need car seats.

Jon Ison

posted on 12/4/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
How did/does she fit in the seat ?

Safe in you opinion ? I ask because she looks pretty dam secure strapped into the current seat and her head is nicely out of the wind, my thoughts are she would look a little unsafe n wobbly up on a booster as I understand it one of the main reasons (and justifiably so) is the 3 point belt coming into contact with the neck of a "small" person ?

DarrenW

posted on 12/4/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Jon - im with you 100% and put all this to the DoT and got the reply back each time that car seat is required.

My daughters are younger than yours (3 and 6) and luckily fit the booster seat well. The seat fits in car seat well too. However - the 6 year old sits better without booster and being lower is safer in my oppinion. However - if unlucky enough to be in accident then the law would take a dim view and claims may be affected. Iam vulnerable as the seat has a weight limit that the 6 year old exceeds, and i have found no higher limitted seats that come close to fitting (i havent looked much either though to be honest)

Youve set me off on one now!!! I reckon the law is centred arouind 3 point belts and has neglected to consider anything else. I say 4 point harnesses are far safer, dont cross the childs chest and are not so sensitive to seating height. Believe me i put this all to the D0T and they still said boosters must be used. I also cited all of the loopholes i could find (ref taxi's, emergencies and classic cars) and they would have none of it. In each case they clarified the reasoning behind the law.

Please be careful before planning the use the emergency clause - it is specific.

The only thing in our favour is that the law is so vague in places that a good solicitor could dispanse with any offences but it would be a hassle and costly - not worth the grief i reckon.

Jon Ison

posted on 12/4/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
On a lighter note I have just been reading a very similar thread on a cateringvan forum.

Several on there claim there kids just fall asleep, they really should learn how to drive the dam things to

None of the kid carrying drivers claimed to be using a "booster" seat but foam or nothing at all.

pif

posted on 12/4/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
i often put my 2 in the indy ( 4yrs and 6yrs ). i would say i am fully conversant with the law as i deal with it on a daily basis at work but ^^^^ is correct- its an ass - but if under 135cm then you must use the correct seat by legislation.

no making your own i am afraid.

i use just a booster base on my baby cub seats and it fits reasonable. actually looks like it doesnt fit into the seat too well however it does allow the lap part of the 4 point to fit under the " horns " of the seat and the upper parts of the 4 point come down on their chest ok. for the record both need thick coats on to keep their belts snug on them.

the problem is more with the belts not going short enough.

you are now making me think i must trial fit them in the drivers side as that has a seat slider and if they fit better there on the belts then i may have to fit a slider on the passenger side.

i have always had the defence in my head for a roadside argument with the law of " its not a mass produced / euro legislated vehicle and does not - can not comply" "also i have made a decent effort to comply haven't i ???" "prove i could have done more"

pif

[Edited on 12/4/08 by pif]

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

Blairm

posted on 12/4/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Down here in New Zealand I do not seem to get any grief and my son has been with me since he was three regualarly. I just used a standard polystyriene booster and took to the base with a bread knife to trim it to fit. Put the cover back on and it looks factory again.

I have 4 point harness with a fixed anchor at the back hoop on the roll bar. At a baby shop I purchased a childs 4 point look alike restraint that clips to a ring fitted to the back of the car (in my case the rear 4 point mount) and the lower points have loops that go through the lower belts. This way he as the full 4 point lap belt around him and then proper sized restraints over his sholders so is very well restrained.

Blair

DarrenW

posted on 12/4/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
As blair says i was so clse to trimming a polystyrene seat base and reckon a good job could be made of it and the cover refitted - however this is a modification and the UK law is specific over what regs apply to the seat.

As PIF says it doesnt make any sense at all but it does say a booster must be used - so use one we must do.

I like the C forum quote

welderman

posted on 13/4/08 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
On a lighter note I have just been reading a very similar thread on a cateringvan forum.

Several on there claim there kids just fall asleep, they really should learn how to drive the dam things to

None of the kid carrying drivers claimed to be using a "booster" seat but foam or nothing at all.

My eldest daughter at the time was 5 and always went in bbsted seat, she is 9 now and does not need one as she is over 1350mm . Youngest daughter is 5 and cant wait for me to get the Fury finnished.
On the odd occasion, Emma would fall asleep,. I thought she was dead once when coming back from Devils brigde folling a string of bikes and we were, just keeping to the speed limit that saw fit. Scared the s#it out of me she did, then as i slowed down could here her snooring through the intercom.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.