Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie - What's cheaper to build? BEC or CEC?
Rasteirinho

posted on 18/8/08 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie - What's cheaper to build? BEC or CEC?

Hi,

I'm newbie in the Locost world and i'm planning to build a Locost.
I would like to know what is cheaper to build: a BEC or a CEC?

Is a Toyota Corolla AE86 a good donor (engine, axle, gearbox, steering gear)?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Pedro

'99 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI RS2
'85 Toyota Corolla GT TwinCam

omega0684

posted on 18/8/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
depends on where you get all your stuff from, if you live in a scrap yard then im guessing you could build a cec very cheaply.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 18/8/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
There isn't a lot in it to be honest, unless you really want to build an ultra low budget car then the CEC would be cheapest...

Go BEC - you know it makes sense!

Steve

TimC

posted on 18/8/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
You'd be mad to break an AE86 - they go for silly money. If it's already rotten then I think it would potentially make an excellent donor. However, I'm not sure if it has double-wishbone front suspension?

tegwin

posted on 18/8/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a car that drives....then CEC on a budget..

But bang for buck I dont think you could beat a CEC given the cost of electricery needed to run a zetec etc to get similar power/weight as a bike engine....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

BenB

posted on 18/8/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
It very much depends on how you intend to obtain your parts.
If you buy a scrapper Sierra and pull it to bits then obviously that's all the suspension, the engine and the gearbox for pennies. You won't beat that with a BEC.

But- a BEC engine (with g/box) can be had for a few hundred. However, if you are insistent on reverse then that adds considerable to the cost of a BEC...

The rest of the car is the same.

IE there's very little in it. A CEC would be cheapest BUT the performance you'ld get would be much less than that obtained by a slightly more expensive BEC....

COREdevelopments

posted on 18/8/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
i have used an ae86 box and back axle, i used an ae92 small port engine. not a locost way but am a toyota nut so had to use them, im glad i did use them as its slightly different gearbox is lighter and diff is lsd.

rob

contaminated

posted on 18/8/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
My god don't break an AE86! They are highly sort after drift pigs!!
mark chandler

posted on 18/8/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
BEC if you want cheap tax every year with great performance!
flak monkey

posted on 18/8/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
CEC everytime. Built my 170bhp pinto powered GTS for under £6k on the road, including the insurance and 6 months tax. Plenty quick enough thank you

Just think, if you pop a bike box or engine its going to cost at least £1k to replace it and a lot more than that if you want something with some serious power. Plus you have all the hassle of needing a CAT for SVA (unless you really want to use a pre 95 knackered bike engine?), TRT props are expensive, etc etc. And even after all of that you dont have a reverse

BECs are great if you do low mileage, or lots of track days. But if you do 5k a year like me then cruising at 7k rpm isnt fun. I can see the benefits of them but only for certain uses.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

NS Dev

posted on 18/8/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Not really a comparison that can be made.

I looked long and hard at this one.

I could achieve the power to weight I wanted with EITHER a haybusa OR a vauxhall 2.0 16v XE engine, both gave much the same performance.

The vauxhall cost £200 for the engine, the 'busa was £3000..........................

seemingly no comparison BUT its not like that, as the vauxhall then needs lots of bits and bobs plus a gearbox etc.

Mine, with just over 200hp vauxhall XE engine, was on the road and SVA'd etc for around £5600.

I'd struggle to build a Busa one for that, but it deedn't be MUCH more if you were careful............

Basically, you won't do either for nowt unless you do it ALL yourself from scratch, but a very fast, nicely built car can be put together for around £5500, either bike or car engined.

A "quick" and fun one can be put together for around £3000, again either bike or car engined..............

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Rasteirinho

posted on 19/8/08 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well my main objective with the Locost is to participate in some Trackdays because to legalize a locost in Portugal is almost impossible given all the burocracies associated.

So the Locost will be used only a few times per year.
The fact of having reverse or not, isn't important giving the trackday only usage.

Since i have restored an AE86 during the last 2 years, i have a spare car for parts which has a severe crash in the back.

From this car i can have everything, except the front uprights because it only has the one brace (the lower) instead of two like the cortina, old hiaces, etc.

As i work in Toyota national representative in Portugal i can have Toyota parts at very good price, which is also a fact i must consider...

I would love to have the 12.000 rpm and sound of a BEC and the sequential gearbox.
However, i feel i can build a CEC for much better price.

But i don't want to have regrets about the choice i will made, whatever it will be...

'99 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI RS2
'85 Toyota Corolla GT TwinCam

NS Dev

posted on 19/8/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
the toyota AE86 (4age) engine is a good engine, great in a locost, nice combination of revs and torque spread. Its light as well

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.