Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: braided brakes , help
JIZZSTER

posted on 15/9/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
braided brakes , help

hi all decided gonna put coloured braided brake pipes in my build instead copper mainly just for looks (and i would mess up bends etc bit heavy handed)
any advice, tips???
anyone know any good places to by from fancy some couloured stuff

many thanks

steve

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 15/9/08 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
russbost (?) on here makes them. or you can buy various colours of heatshrink (inc clear) on ebay and cover them yourself.

are you going to make the hoses up yourself?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SMCS-UK-Commonwealth-Stamps_W0QQfrsrcZ1QQfsubZ4701791QQtZkm

i'm sure there's other colours to be had than the ones this guy sells

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/9/08 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
even though there braided, is this not going to make the brakes spongy?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 16/9/08 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thought my ears were burning!!

Steve, we've spoken b4, you're only a couple of miles up the road.
Yes can do the hoses in 12 colours, anything from lime green to carbon fibre look & a couple of metallicy blues.

As regards being spongy, there is no more movement in stainless steel wrapped ptfe than there is in copper pipe, however you most certainly remove some sponginess by going from ordinary rubber pipes to stainless flexies.

Also a minor rant, I wish people wouldn't mention my ALL stainless steel & pvc coated hoses in the same breath as mild steel cadmium plated rubbish with spiky wire sticking out which SVA inspectors fail as a sharp edge!!! - it's a bit like saying a 7 is the same as an Ultima. Try asking Goodrich how long their plating lasts for & if their standard hoses are guaranteed NEVER to corrode for the life of the car. My hoses are guaranteed for LIFE (not sure if that's yours, mine or the cars but you get my drift). I'm sure that anyone who's bought my hoses will confirm they are top quality & often cheaper than vastly inferior products.
There, rant over

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
02GF74

posted on 16/9/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
even though there braided, is this not going to make the brakes spongy?

apparenty not - or not that you would be worried about it - this was discussed on goodridge website (but they would say that); also I believe Razman has used braided all round and was not complaining of sponginess.

Personally I would use kunifer/copper pipe - think it is cheaper as well as more compact, possible lighter too?

24vseven

posted on 16/9/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
i have fully braided all round on the rally car and theres no give in the pedal what so ever if that helps any i also made mine myself buying all the bits from rally design with very few issues can be a bit fiddely tho
if your not confident in making your own i suggest buying them ready made as above

as for quality i am afraid i have no experence of any other bradied set ups so it would be unfair of me to comment

iank

posted on 16/9/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
While it's generally a bad idea to extrapolate from F1 they use braided lines all round rather than hard lines and don't seem to have too many worries about spongy pedals.
The fewer connections/joints the better from a reliability perspective at least over the short term.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

gavin174

posted on 16/9/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
hi steve

i have been over and had a chat with russ about this in the past.

he has some very nice looking coloured braided hose and fittings

i think this is the way i am going to go when i am ready..

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

mad-butcher

posted on 17/9/08 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Be warned diy are not acceptable for sva they must be crimped, sva claim that the 2 parts can be tampered with thus causing brake failure, waste of time even trying to argue that the unions on copper/cunifer lines could be loosened. rules is rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.