Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WLM sunday meets
Fozzie

posted on 5/10/08 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
I think we should make any Sunday a possible meet , as it is so weather dependent , and just try to take advantage of any good weather breaks.

Seconded

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

theconrodkid

posted on 5/10/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
so as not to suffer withdraws i went to lidl and bought some bacon,eggs,tomatoes and bread for a fry up,even picked up a Czech blondie to cook it for me for less than £20

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Humbug

posted on 5/10/08 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
I think we should make any Sunday a possible meet , as it is so weather dependent , and just try to take advantage of any good weather breaks.

Seconded

thirded .

This time of year let's take anything we can get (weatherwise)

bob

posted on 5/10/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
OK every sunday it is then.

as long as its not lashing down

GeoffT

posted on 6/10/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I was rather intrigued by the disused airfield mentioned by Rob and Fozzie, so finding myself in that part of the world today, had a quick recce.

There is open access to the airstrip in Ockham Lane, directly south of the eastern tip of the airstrip. If this link works it should show exactly where it is:-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wisley+uk&ie=UTF8&ll=51.303467,-0.443745&spn=0.012718,0.027637&t=h& z=15&iwloc=addr

.......I drove the full length of the runway, and it's actually in remarkably good condition, considering how long it's been there. Ok, there's plenty of weeds growing through cracks in the tarmac, but I didn't see any major potholes and it's perfectly drivable down it's full length. (1.1 miles and I guess about 70yds wide)

Spoke to a very poshe lady on horseback, who said that the police regularly use it for driver training, and Scrapheap Challenge have apparently filmed there too. It's surrounded by farmland, but not the prettiest spot in the world, TBH honest you'd only want to go there if you wanted to actively play with the cars, ie. set up ms, try out each others cars, etc.

Not sure about the legality side of using it, but it sounds like we wouldn't be the first to do so, there appear to be a couple of sevens 'playing' there when the google earth shot was taken. So possibly a venue for a future playtime?

James

posted on 7/10/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
OMG, have the WLM found their own racetrack/drag strip???

I remember looking at this when I was building as I remembered it from waaay back as a kid. Was convinced by various peeps it was impossible to get onto. Silly sods.

Even more determined to get my car on the road now!

Brilliant investigative work Geoff!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

bob

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I knew it was there but didnt think it was possible to gain access, well done geoff

Its allways been on my mind when i leave the A3 at that junction on my way to Newlands, i have even taken the road to west horsley on the way to see if there are sign posts.

Is it still under ownership of the MOD ?

Maybe scutter can find out, as it would better to be on the strip legally. I would think if we used it without permission the locals who live within earshot would be onto the rozzers straight away.

GeoffT

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, a bit more info from said poshe lady.....

The site has apparently been bought by a business condominium (sp?)who are planning to turn it into some sort of recycling plant. Needless to say the locals are overjoyed by this, she seemed to think it stood no chance getting planning permission.

Anyway, I digress, one of this condominium is a guy she only knew as 'Alistair' who resides at Pound Farm, just up the road from the Ockham Lane entrance. I took a trip up there, but unfortunately the place was like the Mary Celeste, certainly no sign of 'Alistair' so I gave up on it.

I think Bob is right, we need to get some sort of permission to use the site, although the worse that would probably happen is that we would get turfed off.

So ideally we need someone to pop into Pound Farm and see if they can find Alistair, and ask him the question. Three possible outcomes I would think :-

a) Turned down flat.
b) Ok, but how much are you going to pay me?
c) Ok.

Anybody likely to be in that part of the world in the near future?

Fozzie

posted on 7/10/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
Ok, a bit more info from said poshe lady.....

The site has apparently been bought by a business condominium (sp?)who are planning to turn it into some sort of recycling plant.

Anyway, I digress, one of this condominium is a guy she only knew as 'Alistair' who resides at Pound Farm, just up the road from the Ockham Lane entrance. I took a trip up there, but unfortunately the place was like the Mary Celeste, certainly no sign of 'Alistair' so I gave up on it.

Yep I said about the recycling toward the end of page 1 of this thread.

I can confirm that you can't get on it by car at Elm Road, nor by the Ripley roundabout just off the A3..... I have walked on it from there though.

It looks as though the only way on it by car is down Old Lane...just by the cross roads by the mucky duck......turn right into Ockham Lane.

You can also get to Okham Lane from the Ripley round about, I think its the first road on left from Horsley Road.........

If Vickers used it after the war, it may not be MOD owned any more.

Last year Brooklands Museum used it as Park and Ride for their centenary days. So it must be owned by someone..... I will do some delving.....

Fozzie

Fozzie

posted on 7/10/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Okee dokee.....after much sleuthing, I came across this........and it is current......

See the 9th post....

Click Me

So anyone in/near Guildford that has a bit of spare time, want to phone/write to the council ?

Fozzie

Fozzie

posted on 7/10/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Rob, its not far from the caff Dave and I were talking about earlier......the caff is at the A3 end of Old Lane!

DLT and I had tea and roll there not long ago...not bad at all, but I'm fine with a flask and a sarnie from home.....

Only trouble is, for me there is good news and bad news....

Bad news is I'm not allowed out to play for a week or 2...

Because.....

Good news is...... , we take over the lease of a new unit on Monday, and we have stuff to move...

Fozzie

GeoffT

posted on 7/10/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, the more I read about this place, the less likely seem the chances of anyone challenging us. I doubt the police have any powers there as it's on private land, so unless an 'owner' comes along and says "bugger orf" I don't really see how anyone could stop us. Obviously, if he's waving a shotgun in your face, you'd be polite

In fact if we use the far west end of the airstrip (where the best tarmac is) I reckon you'd be around 1/2 mile from the nearest inhabited dwelling, and the A3 would probably drown out any noise we'd make anyway. Whadya reckon?

Edit to add:- Yes Rob that's the place. I'm starting to feel now though that if you ask you're probably going to get a 'no' , but if we just go there and disappear down the far end, nobody is going to be the wiser...... But if you want to ring, feel free.

[Edited on 7/10/08 by GeoffT]

Fozzie

posted on 7/10/08 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Do you really need to ask?

Though we might have to change our name from WLM to WLM-ASBO's.....

Fozzie

theconrodkid

posted on 8/10/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
forecast is a bit better for this weekend so where,s it going to be?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

scutter

posted on 8/10/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Mmmm, Sunny

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 8/10/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh, I'm getting excited!
The little buzz you get when you do something naughty!

At the end of the day trespass isn't really a crime!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trespass

Well done to all the PIs involved!

Cheers,
James

EDIT: Anyone got a scanner so we can listen out for the Rozzer's?

[Edited on 8/10/08 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 8/10/08 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie

See the 9th post....

That's a great link Foz.

I'm a bit worried those guys will have stirred up interest (and soon to be locked gates) though.

We just need a 2nd entrance/exit. Then if anyone nasty turns up we can rapidly leave via the other exit!

Shame about that Police helicopter! But at £17k a time to fly it I can't believe they take it out too much more than necessary.

Sounds like the track may be a bit ropey in places. Anyone got a spare mile of tarmac kicking round at all?

EDIT: Decided I know what to spend my Euromillions win on! This track and a Mclaren F1 or 2!

[Edited on 8/10/08 by James]

scutter

posted on 8/10/08 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Spare track

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 9/10/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm bored and in Guildford....

guess where I'm off to!

scutter

posted on 9/10/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Waiting to see what you've found out

Dan.

James

posted on 9/10/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I did it!

Didn't have any credit at the time as was gonna text Foz to say: "Guess where I am"!.

Interesting trip.... got onto the airfield as per Geoff's instructions. (I must have been dsitracted as apparently there's a sign saying no vehicular access... but I missed it till I left. ) There's a pot holed dirt track that leads to the field. The big circle halfway along the track is just filled with manure.

Place appeared to be deserted.

Drove onto the strip itself, the concrete is in ok condition, but it's covered in a lot of loose stones or gravel which I'm not sure is helpful for our purposes.

Started to drive down the strip. About halfway down spotted a few vehicles and people off in the far distance. Got a bit worried but soon realised they were flying model aeroplanes!

Went a bit further then decided to turn round and leave as was still a bit scared! .

Drove all the way round to the Elm Lane entrance. There is 0% chance of getting onto the airfield here with vehicles. But there is easy access on foot. Walked bloomin miles from here all the way to the West end of the strip, and was very lucky to get a free air show from the model aeroplane guys that were there.
As I walked up to them (with Mum for protection! ) I saw a small tractor type thing drive off back up the airfield.

As Geoff said, this is a much, much better maintained area of concrete. Hardly any gravel and few plants growing through and not a single house overlooks it. So I generally felt quite positive about us being able to have our cars on there and not knacker them!

Chatted with the modellers a bit about planes. Eventually plucked up courage for the question about what they do about access. Was told that the club has "permission" from the farmer.
I said: "does he own the strip?"
"No, he's just a tenant farmer, but he 'manages' it. And the club has permission".

I got the impression that the guy who'd just buggered off on the tractor was said farmer. I didn't like to ask too many questions.... maybe I should have, but didnt want to annoy them!

At that point I left them to it. It really is a lovely area, specially the walk back to Elm Lane, it's amazingly quiet (apart from A3 background noise) with lots of 'nature'. The homeowners nearby must be bricking themselves about an estate or incinerator/waste disposal being built there!!!

So, all in all, I still think it's a viable possibility for us. The whole "farmer manages it" bit sounds like a way he makes a few quid! Fozzie's website makes no mention from the owners of the land of a farmer who manages.

One thing my Mum reckoned was if a young hooligan type like me goes to ask "the farmer" then it's gonna more likely engender a "no" than if a more sensible person like Fozzie or Geoff etc. ask him!!! Cheers Mum!
So maybe we make an approach as 'Locost Car Club' or something sensible sounding and take it from there.

Or, we just risk it and run a few laps.... see what happens!

Anyway, hope that's of interest. I sacrificed fitting my 2nd Triton seat for this!!!

Cheers,
James P.I.

[Edited on 9/10/08 by James]

GeoffT

posted on 9/10/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one James, it's an interesting site, isn't it? Worth a visit just to take look, it seems amazing that such a huge site has remained relatively undiscovered all these years.

I'm starting to think now that the 'Alistair' I was advised to see may have been the farm manager - I think I may have somewhat 'assumed' (during my conversation with lady on horseback) that he was one of the business partners, this is probably not the case.

I suspect that not everyone is keen to venture with our cars onto private land, quite understandably really. Maybe we should have a 'normal' meet this weekend (Newlands..?) and see how people feel?

theconrodkid

posted on 9/10/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
if it all goes pear shaped there is a runway near me that a sprint club uses,i could have words about that

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

James

posted on 10/10/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
Nice one James, it's an interesting site, isn't it? Worth a visit just to take look, it seems amazing that such a huge site has remained relatively undiscovered all these years.

Frankly amazing it's not filled with gypo and their caravans.

With a little help from Scutter I even identified the weird radar thingy that's there.
Turns out it's live and controls most of the air traffic in the South East of England!
So better watch that run-off area!
One 'Stig in the Koenigsegg' trip off the track and it'll be raining 747s!

Surrey Dave

posted on 10/10/08 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah But!!!

What's 'appenin' sunday?
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.