Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: S2000/F20c engine or volvo T5 engine
kensprin

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
S2000/F20c engine or volvo T5 engine

A light 4 cylinder engine needed.

I’m debating about these 2 engines; Yes I can get a T5 (without gear box, need 960 box for this for RWD) for about 500 quid with the turbo and ecu and loom . Or the Honda f20c for bout 2800quid with gearbox, ecu and loom both produce about the same BHP. One revs higher than the other.

What should I go for? I’m pointing to the Volvo engine per price and HP.

At the moment wiring is not an issue just deciding which one.

Of course the Zetec is not enough power for me and duratec is out the question, it’s out of my budget. And a proper engine must have the exhaust on the drivers side.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
T5 is a 5 cylinder and is my weapon of choice

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

wylliezx9r

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I think the high revving relatively low torque Honda is better suited to a light weight sportscar. Bet the engine gearbox combo is a lot lighter than the Volvo too.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

kensprin

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
T5 is a 5 cylinder and is my weapon of choice

sorry yes 5 cylinder

franky

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
bmw m3, exhaust exits next to the drive, makes 325bhp, no turbo lag and with a midrange to make a f20c look a little silly.

Run it on the standard ecu too.

kensprin

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Honds FC 247 bhp @ 8,300 rpm and (218 N·m; 161 lb·ft) @ 7,500 rpm

Whats can the T5 produce? dose anyone know engine weight? power to weight is important. bike engine is no good for me either. the vauhall redtop is a nono. its one of these 2.

franky

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
An m3 makes 321 at 7300ish rpm and 258 lb·ft at 3250 rpm
kensprin

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
bmw m3, exhaust exits next to the drive, makes 325bhp, no turbo lag and with a midrange to make a f20c look a little silly.

I went to Exeter kit car show today. a dax chassis there with a M3 s54 init. its an idea ive been looking at. also i know GKD put M3 s50 b32 ad drive gear in there and made ok power to weight about 738kg. 0-100 claim just under 8sec. its on Pistonheads somwhere.

Unfortunatly im using a locost chassis. donno if an m3 will go... but I love the engine. ive had a few e36 m3s and never failed.

kensprin

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
In fact I think its your car im talking about
Chippy

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
The T5 makes 220 bhp in the standard 850, and 240 in the 850R. But with a decent exhaust, ( 3" ), a bigger turbo and injectors plus a better intercooler you could be looking at 350 to 400 bhp, but it all costs, :-( HTH Ray
Edit to add its an all ally engine so not too heavy

[Edited on 23-10-11 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

franky

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kensprin
quote:

I went to Exeter kit car show today. a dax chassis there with a M3 s54 init. its an idea ive been looking at. also i know GKD put M3 s50 b32 ad drive gear in there and made ok power to weight about 738kg. 0-100 claim just under 8sec. its on Pistonheads somwhere.

Unfortunatly im using a locost chassis. donno if an m3 will go... but I love the engine. ive had a few e36 m3s and never failed.

That was my car, the weight came from the chassis being a lot stronger than standard/full cage/steel floors/double side impact and padded seats, and and by telling the truth too

the 0-100 in under 8 wasn't claimed, it was proven. That was short shifting too on the first and only attempt. Power to weight was about 485bhp/tonne.

Everyone who drove the car loved it and the weight never had an impact on the handling at all.

Ignoring all the above, you can fit one and get it running in a kit for under £1.5k.....

kensprin

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
The T5 makes 220 bhp in the standard 850, and 240 in the 850R. But with a decent exhaust, ( 3" ), a bigger turbo and injectors plus a better intercoole
r you could be looking at 350 to 400 bhp, but it all costs, :-( HTH Ray

Its coming out my manual V70 2.3 r. Hope you BOA is going strong. Im missing my BOB.

dlatch

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
i can't see you managing to fit the superb E36 M3 engine for £1500
a decent exhaust alone will cost a pretty penny and will be a tight fit in a standard locost chassis

The honda engine is a fantastic bit of kit too i would not be unhappy having one in my kit but it won't be a cheap swap.
i think out of the ones u suggested so far the T5 lump from a volvo has the most potential and chance of being done on a budget

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kensprin

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

That was my car, the weight came from the chassis being a lot stronger than standard/full cage/steel floors/double side impact and padded seats, and and by telling the truth too

the 0-100 in under 8 wasn't claimed, it was proven. That was short shifting too on the first and only attempt. Power to weight was about 485bhp/tonne.

Everyone who drove the car loved it and the weight never had an impact on the handling at all.

Ignoring all the above, you can fit one and get it running in a kit for under £1.5k.....

Not doubting you at all. I saw the video on Piston head. and i was counting to the best of my ability and whoeve was driving, his glasses flew off his head. I wanted to know what he was racing; he didnt stand a chance.

485bhp/tonne is looking great per price too. almost r500 fiqures, but yes looking at the pics you had plenty of room.

and whatever engine a decide i will be keeping with stock ecu. thanks for you input.

Looks like I might think about the s50b32, as long as I can find a decent one with good quiet vanos etc.

Chippy

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
The T5 makes 220 bhp in the standard 850, and 240 in the 850R. But with a decent exhaust, ( 3" ), a bigger turbo and injectors plus a better intercoole
r you could be looking at 350 to 400 bhp, but it all costs, :-( HTH Ray

Its coming out my manual V70 2.3 r. Hope you BOA is going strong. Im missing my BOB.

BOA is layed up for some winter mods, but at the moment just dont seem to get the time to get at it. :-) Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

franky

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
i can't see you managing to fit the superb E36 M3 engine for £1500
a decent exhaust alone will cost a pretty penny and will be a tight fit in a standard locost chassis

The honda engine is a fantastic bit of kit too i would not be unhappy having one in my kit but it won't be a cheap swap.
i think out of the ones u suggested so far the T5 lump from a volvo has the most potential and chance of being done on a budget

Well I mean you can buy and it, an exhaust would be more cash on top

franky

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not doubting you at all. I saw the video on Piston head. and i was counting to the best of my ability and whoeve was driving, his glasses flew off his head. I wanted to know what he was racing; he didnt stand a chance.

485bhp/tonne is looking great per price too. almost r500 fiqures, but yes looking at the pics you had plenty of room.

and whatever engine a decide i will be keeping with stock ecu. thanks for you input.

Looks like I might think about the s50b32, as long as I can find a decent one with good quiet vanos etc.

I think if you put an r500 on the scales fully wet it'd be more like a r480!

An s2000 is a great choice of engine too and they like to rev. I'd be happy with either to be honest. Not overly sold on a big hp turbo engine in a light car.

It was a new m5 engined alpina I was racing against.

The only thing with the bmw engine is that it leans over by 20degress. If you've any questions on them feel free to drop me a u2u.

MkIndy7

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
A light 4 cylinder engine....

Of course the Zetec is not enough power for me and duratec is out the question, it’s out of my budget. And a proper engine must have the exhaust on the drivers side.

The Duratec engine has the exhaust on the Drivers side, unless you've got a left hooker and the price would be nothing like as high as those mentioned above unless it's required to be at the 240bhp level.

Bare

posted on 23/10/11 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know the real weight of the S2000 drive unit?? ??
Besides being problematically tall it's allegedly surprisingly heavy?
Somehow 520 lbs rings a bell ....Is that even close to correct??
Dunno .. just asking.

orton1966

posted on 24/10/11 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
Other Honda Engine?

What about the Civic Type R engine, I cant remember the engine code but power (and max rev’s) is similar to the S2000 engine.

I know the S2000 has the advantage of being fitted North South but the Civic engine can be converted. I don’t know the stat’s but I believe it might be slightly more compact/lighter, probably a little cheaper and could be used with a lighter, more compact gearbox to save further weight.

Either way I like the Honda engines and would choose one in a hart-beat, seems to me they offer the thrill of a bike engine but the day to day convenience and reliability of a car engine. Just wish they were cheaper!

franky

posted on 24/10/11 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
What about the Civic Type R engine, I cant remember the engine code but power (and max rev’s) is similar to the S2000 engine.

I know the S2000 has the advantage of being fitted North South but the Civic engine can be converted. I don’t know the stat’s but I believe it might be slightly more compact/lighter, probably a little cheaper and could be used with a lighter, more compact gearbox to save further weight.

Either way I like the Honda engines and would choose one in a hart-beat, seems to me they offer the thrill of a bike engine but the day to day convenience and reliability of a car engine. Just wish they were cheaper!

I think with the s2000 you get an extra 1000rpm and another 40bhp.

Quite right though about the type r engine, that would be a great choice. Or even the older Honda accord type R, the 2.2 one as that's about 220bhp I think.

flak monkey

posted on 24/10/11 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Are you seriously thinking that fitting an S2000 engine will cost you less than the same bhp Duratec?

Even at the 240bhp level (which is just throttle bodies, cams and better rods/pistons) it'll set you back less than 2/3rds the cost of a stock S2000 engine....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DH2

posted on 24/10/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
A light 4 cylinder engine needed.

I’m debating about these 2 engines; T5 Or the Honda f20c

Does not compute. Neither of these engines are particularly small or light.

DH2

MikeRJ

posted on 24/10/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
An s2000 is a great choice of engine too and they like to rev. I'd be happy with either to be honest. Not overly sold on a big hp turbo engine in a light car.

I totally agree, a high revving normally aspirated engine is by far the best choice for a 7 style car. Instant throttle response and reasonably linear torque delivery means you can extract the most from it, and it sounds the part too. Fewer plumbing issues (no intercooler, turbo oil and coolant feeds) and less heat in the engine bay. The fact that you can get a sweet shifting 6 speed RWD box that is designed for the engine is also a huge bonus, though obviously you do pay for the privilege.

scootz

posted on 24/10/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I looked into it and the general consensus was that the bare Honda engine is 150kg. Heavy, but still a great motor!

It's Evolution Baby!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.