Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just fallen fowl of the new insurance law. Word of warning
Lightning

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just fallen fowl of the new insurance law. Word of warning

I hadnt realised that the law had changed. I just have received a fine of £100 reduced to £50 if paid in a week.
This because the TVR has been off the road (chassiss rebuild) with no insurance although still taxed.

How fair is that.

Apparently you have to SORN and get tax back or it is illegal. I didnt know this.

Its all explained on www.direct.gov.uk/stayinsured

Beware

Steve

MakeEverything

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thing is, it's been advertised on tv for ages, but not everyone watches tv.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Mark Allanson

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
More costly bureaucratic stupidity

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Ninehigh

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Thing is, it's been advertised on tv for ages, but not everyone watches tv.

I do and that's news to me.

HowardB

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I don't watch TV, nor do I read a newspaper often,... so I guess it's a good thing that the internet and radio are my best friends

sorry to hear of your loss, it does seem overly bureaucratic, but I believe that at one time there were as many as 20% uninsured drivers on the roads. This law will only catch those that take the time and effort to ensure that they keep the V5 up to date.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Ninehigh

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Iirc the idea was that a valid (or not) tax disc is easy to spot, but insurance more difficult.

Also how easy is it to say "Yeah it's taxed right now, but it's not insured because I can't drive it without this gearbox" and still be driving it (and with some insurance going to £4k...)

owelly

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
And its been in every tax/SORN reminder for the past 18months but who reads those daft little leaflets?!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Was also discussed to death on here other 3-4 posts over the past 6-9 months
Ninehigh

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Really? Then again no I didn't read the leaflet (mine's due this month)

And it being discussed here is the only reason I know about it, and I thought it wasn't happening

T66

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
It is a joke imho - rip off Britain.

This is apparently to deal with the bastards who choose to break the law and not bother insuring their cars, but they dont mind hoovering up a few thousand law abiding tax paying car owners.

If someone from anywhere can explain why a Scottish Laird with 15,000 hectares of land, needs to insure an Land Rover he has decided to park up on one of his 15,000 hectares, and it now breaks the law ? Feasibly 10 miles from the nearest road or risk ?

The hooks get pushed into our eyes far too often , what risk ? why a premium ? Joke Britain

Maybe we need to start a petition to start taxing people with stripes on their suits ? More stripes more tax....

hillbillyracer

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be all for it if it'd actually work, but those that are uninsured will often not register it in their name anyway let alone tax or insure it, or declare it SORN as they are registered as the owner but being on SORN they dont need tax or insurance
johnemms

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
So if some toe rag 'sorns' a car and then knocks up a copy of someones legal plates - then theyre sorted?
Is it that easy??

[Edited on 20/1/12 by johnemms]

Lightning

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so I'm blind.

I can see the theory, but isnt it going to make the tax office busy. My daughter for instance has just bough a replacement car and transfered her insurance to the new car. She is now selling her old car. She must therefore SORN and keep the car off the road to stay legal. The new purchaser will then have to retax the car. A great deal of people will be in the same situation. Hence a great deal of more work

Steve

hillbillyracer

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I've not bought & sold anything since this came in but that would seem to be the case, I'd buy a fresh car & swap the insurance to the new one then do any bits of jobs to fettle the old one to sell. So the old car could be around for a week or three, it's either insure it on some temporary policy so you can sell it with tax or declare SORN & then have to sell it without tax (never what buyers look for is it!) & then it cant even be test driven!

As for making a set of plates up from a similar car so it doesnt show up on the ANPR system that wont work, having to take all your documents with you when you get plates made up fixed that didn't it!

T66

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Bottom line is - a logistical nightmare to manage, designed to catch out lots of people.

I ask again, where is the risk to the insurer ?

Car belongs to me, and is in my locked garage. If I choose to burn it down, assuming I dont endanger others I can, because its mine to lose

No risk at all to the insurer or the treasury.

owelly

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
When I bought my Audi a few months back, I had a few jobs to do on the Connect before I sold it so when I transferred the insurance, I asked if they would still cover the van. They gave me 14 days cover for free and when I asked them again 14 days later, they gave me another 14 days. Worth asking?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillbillyracer
Yeah, I've not bought & sold anything since this came in but that would seem to be the case, I'd buy a fresh car & swap the insurance to the new one then do any bits of jobs to fettle the old one to sell. So the old car could be around for a week or three, it's either insure it on some temporary policy so you can sell it with tax or declare SORN & then have to sell it without tax (never what buyers look for is it!) & then it cant even be test driven!

As for making a set of plates up from a similar car so it doesnt show up on the ANPR system that wont work, having to take all your documents with you when you get plates made up fixed that didn't it!

Yeah but a screwdriver in a dark car park sorts that one out. I saw someone do that once, they just drove in, both got out and put different plates on the car. When they spotted us we looked down as "we never saw them"

I reckon with most popular cars I could nick you some plates, can't guarantee the car they came off is insured though!

scootz

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I saw someone do that once, they just drove in, both got out and put different plates on the car. When they spotted us we looked down as "we never saw them"...

I thought you worked in 'security'...

It's Evolution Baby!

hillbillyracer

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I was kinda taking the mick with the plates, I can get them made up without taking the documents in, sure plenty others can!
Steve Hignett

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I reckon with most popular cars I could nick you some plates, can't guarantee the car they came off is insured though!

I thought you worked in security?

scootz

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I just checked the details for the kit sat in the garage... it's showing as 'unlicensed'! I'm sure I SORNED the bugger!

Oh well, SORNED now... I guess I'll have to wait for the DVLA bods who couldn't be arsed to fine me when it was showing as 'unlicensed' over the last 9 months to come after me now that I've raised my head above the parapet! That'll teach me to double check!

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:

I thought you worked in security?

So?

My point is you just look for a car you want yours to be and unscrew the plates...

I'm sure you need the V5 to get proper ones though

owelly

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
When I buy plates for vehicles or trailers, I have the choice of go to the local motor factors with all my documents, utility bills, photo ID and a letter from my Mam and hand over £13 for each plate, or buy them online for £6 each and they're on my doorstep the next day. Hmmmm, let me think.....

speedstar

posted on 21/1/12 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
You can get plates off ebay without any proof. I had a rear one made up for when I was towing. £8 delivered - no questions asked.

Stupid law. No legal binding behind it at all.

The main issue is that insurance prices are SO high in this country people are willing to take the risk.

Lets say someone has a £500 corsa or the like, that costs them £3000 to insure. Even if the police seize it and crush it, theyre still £2500 better off. Stupid situation.

PSpirine

posted on 21/1/12 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
If the fine came from DVLA, send a letter saying you sent off the SORN form x [months,days] ago and why hasn't it yet been processed?

That's what I'd do.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.