Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Product manufacture tracking software help
tegwin

posted on 27/9/17 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Product manufacture tracking software help

I know a few of you work in production environments and wonder if you can help.

I am hoping to setup a small facility manufacturing safety critical parts, I want to have an easy way of tracking what components/suppliers/labor goes into each product and record that against a product serial number so I can call up all the info if I get any warranty/safety issues later on.

I am sure this isnt a new concept but not sure where to look for this kind of system? I could make something using a simple database but if theres an option already out there for cheap or open source that would be better.

I need something that's fairly flexible but also not crazily complex requiring a degree in IT to set it up..... A hard ask but any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

gremlin1234

posted on 27/9/17 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin I am sure this isnt a new concept but not sure where to look for this kind of system?

A lot of your traceability requirements seem to overlap with those of the food industry.

bi22le

posted on 27/9/17 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
What you need is an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software.

SAP is one of the biggest in the game but there are many.

We use one at work which is a beast, it holds and controls all documents and data.

Drawings and part number allocation
Revision control
ECR \ ECO process control
Porting \ programming data
Customer details and orders
Supplier quotations and orders
Etc

I have no idea what you are trying to do but google may help you find something.

IIRC Tegwin, you are already in an engineering industry and should have some good understanding of what you want. Depending on time, money, IT knowledge, industry, regulatory expectation, process optimisation expectations and many other factors your question is quite open.

If you are a member of a professional institute, give them a call. This is the kind of thing they can help with.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Angel Acevedo

posted on 27/9/17 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Back in the days we used a product called GPMaTe.
It was used to manage Oil Rig Maintenance...
So it may as well serve your purposes.
http://www.gpsonline.com/
Check it out...
I handled the Purchasing side of it only.... No personal interest on the brand/Company...
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 27/9/17 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin I am sure this isnt a new concept but not sure where to look for this kind of system?

A lot of your traceability requirements seem to overlap with those of the food industry.

Indeed yes. Get Googling.

femster87

posted on 27/9/17 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.lighthousesystems.com/mes-software/build-traceability
David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/17 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds exactly like something the aeroplane industry would use...

hughpinder

posted on 28/9/17 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the ERPs listed here - there is a filter for which features you need,

http://www.capterra.com/enterprise-resource-planning-software/

I wouldn't bother looking at SAP unless you have VERY deep pockets.

Be prepared for significant set up effort.

If you are familiar with any of the modern database systems, it may well be easier and cheaper to set up your own database, the ERP software has a lot of features you may not need.

Consider how you will get the data into the system too - manually typed or scanned or using your phones camera.......

Good luck
Hugh

tegwin

posted on 28/9/17 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Of course its ERP I am looking for.. DOH! Thanks for the suggestions, will have a look at them... Not opposed to building my own but if someone else has done some of the legwork then perfect!

I guess my issue is that we are starting with a team of 3 people but hope to expand to around 20, would be nice to get a full ERP system in place early on but the time involved when the team is small may be too much..... But then if we use a simpler solution to start with we then have to play catchup.... fun times :p

[Edited on 28/9/17 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

HowardB

posted on 28/9/17 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that SFDC is what you are after - there are some locost options based on barcode scanning etc - but if in essence identification of the work piece at all stages is critical then this will achieve this... ERP and SFDC can be easy bed fellows but they are not cheap - either in terms of capital or ongoing management.

Three ERP systems installed and no hair left LOL

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

nick205

posted on 28/9/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I work for an electronics manufacturing company. We have used SAGE ERP 1000 for some years. Covers MRP, accounts, customer details, product details, stock and so on. It has shortcomings and there are many more systems out there, however it works for us.

We pay a licence fee to SAGE and a maintenance fee to a 3rd party support company. It runs on a server in our system, which is another cost many people overlook. No doubt there are cloud based systems around these days, but that again puts a responsibility upon the operation to have a good/reliable internet connection (also remember to check backup requirements).

My advice would be to work carefully choosing a system as once it gets ingrained in the operation it can be difficult/expensive to change to another.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.