Board logo

EFI Advice needed, would this work
r1_pete - 9/9/13 at 12:50 PM

I'm looking at various options to EFI my E Type, my latest idea is involves using an injector per cylinder and a throttle body shared between 2 cylinders.

Could this work? any advice is welcome, even if its to say I'm nuts for thinking such a thing.....

Manifold idea
Manifold idea

owelly - 9/9/13 at 02:00 PM

I've seen V6 engines with a TB shared between two pots so providing you have adjustment on the butterflies it should work.

stevebubs - 9/9/13 at 02:06 PM

You could convert the existing SUs...

http://www.pattonmachine.com/TBI-Carb-Chart.htm

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/85654-su-fuel-injection-manifold-conversion/

[Edited on 9/9/13 by stevebubs]

gremlin1234 - 9/9/13 at 05:38 PM

triumph tr6 (uk not usa) did it in exactly this way, but with mechanical injection.

Dusty - 9/9/13 at 06:37 PM

Firing order on the engine is 153624. Ideally you can link 123 and 456 and use two throttle bodies, equal gap pulses.
16 25 and 34 also give equal gap pulses but the manifolds are becoming a nightmare and you tend toward unequal length runners. 12 34 and 56 is easy to make but the alternating pulses through each throttle body are not equally spaced, so functionally less good.

sebastiaan - 9/9/13 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
Firing order on the engine is 153624. Ideally you can link 123 and 456 and use two throttle bodies, equal gap pulses.
16 25 and 34 also give equal gap pulses but the manifolds are becoming a nightmare and you tend toward unequal length runners. 12 34 and 56 is easy to make but the alternating pulses through each throttle body are not equally spaced, so functionally less good.

^^^^
This is exactly what I was thinking. Is there a reason not to go for six throttles?

mark chandler - 9/9/13 at 08:40 PM

That will be fine, you only have to worry about phased injection when going for strict emissions,

I would be inclined to gut your carbs and build the injectors within these to keep it looking standard, no reason to have them right against the head.

Regards Mark

Volvorsport - 9/9/13 at 09:05 PM

jenvey do SU type throttle bodies.

r1_pete - 10/9/13 at 06:45 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, this is really plan B, I'm currently building a manifold from an old XJ6 EFI, to run the injectors in the stock XJ6 position, but with modded runners to take two sets of Triumph Triple throttle flap only bodies. The only issue I have with the current plan is the air filter / horn setup, I may not have room.

The setup above would use another XJ6 EFI manifold, with the siamesed runners into TL1000 throttle bodies.

I'm a little further on than this now with everything in a jig and the outer two runners re shaped:
Version 2, first tentative cut
Version 2, first tentative cut

[Edited on 10/9/13 by r1_pete]

MikeRJ - 10/9/13 at 11:09 AM

That's crying out for a triple set of Jenvey DCOE throttle bodies, though it's certainly not a locost approach.

coyoteboy - 10/9/13 at 11:47 AM

quote:

That will be fine, you only have to worry about phased injection when going for strict emissions,

I can't comment on this engine specifically as I've never worked on one, but IME phased injection massively improves the smoothness of idle and allows you to run much leaner idle, which helps with driveability too. Of course it will be perfectly drivable (batch fire on a 4 cyl works perfectly well away from idle) but down around idle I find injection timing to be really quite important.