Board logo

BIP 373 Replacement
Angel Acevedo - 4/11/18 at 12:08 PM

Hi all.
Working overtime to get my Megasquirt ready to run my engine.
I need to modify Coil Driver to use a BIP 373.
I canīt find it in Mexico, but I found this listed as compatible on Premier Farnell Mexico: https://mexico.newark.com/on-semiconductor/isl9v5036p3-f085/igbt-single-360v-46a-to-220ab/dp/31Y2098
Any electronic gurus out there to confirm I can use it?
Link to Data sheet.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1863471.pdf?_ga=2.138411703.669888865.1541325030-906374774.1528946535&_gac=1.40633878.1541325030.EAIaIQobChMI7er olLu63gIVhLfACh0AEge1EAAYASAAEgIB6PD_BwE

My concern is on the terminology of the data sheets.
BIP 373 lists Emitter-Collector-Base and the alternative list Emitter-Collector-GATE.

DanP - 4/11/18 at 06:51 PM

Hi,

FYI in transistors Gate normally refers to FET (which also have a source and a drain connection) and Base normally refers to a bipolar (BJT) (which also have a collector and emitter), they work in quite different ways.

I’ll have a look at the data sheets for you.

DanP - 4/11/18 at 06:59 PM

Hi,

The BIP373 is what is called a Darlington pair which means it is several transistors cascaded to carry higher currents, and it is a bipolar transistor (controlled by current) and specially designed for ignition.

The other one is an FET (controlled by voltage) transistor, although it says it is for motor/ignition control I don’t think it’s safe to assume you can swap it in.

I think your best bet is to find a closer match (often people will sell pin compatible alternatives to compete with each other) or just order one from another country.

Cheers,
Dan

coyoteboy - 4/11/18 at 07:20 PM

Can't find a VB921? That's the classical replacement.

DanP - 4/11/18 at 07:36 PM

Hi,

one more point, the reason the other device you listed talk about gate/collector/emitter is because it is combination of an FET (input) and a bipolar (output) known as an IGBT.

There is lots of talk on forums about replacing the 373 with an IGBT but you also have to add components to deal with the inductive behaviour of the cool (it will produce high voltages which can kill components when switched off) - so I’d still suggest a real 373 or a pin compatible alternative part.

rf900rush - 4/11/18 at 08:21 PM

As far as I can see the Megasquirt outputs to the BP373 bipolar devices have a 330ohm resistors to convert the 5V logic levels to drive the base.
The FET devices use 5v to drive them. Quite often resistors are used to reduce the pulse currents into the gates of the FET.
I can not see why they could not be used. The resistors on the data sheet shows a 1K for the test circuit. 330 ohm used for the BIP373's may well be fine for the FET devices.

If it was me I would give them ago. What is the worst that could happen
If they work well it is another device the others might start adopting.

Angel Acevedo - 4/11/18 at 11:43 PM

Answersa to my questions lead me to where my reading has led...
No definitive answer.
As per BIP 373 suitability for the job it is pretty m uch confirmed.
Thing is I donīt have a clue to how to maketion work and the basis for my question.
buil dis going very slow and most likely it will be a while to reach the point where I can test it.
So, for the time being, I may as well splurge.
I am also thinking to get a Wideband Sensor and controller, but even though this reduces shipping charges per item, this pushes the ordering point as funds are limited for the moment.

Angel Acevedo - 6/11/18 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
As far as I can see the Megasquirt outputs to the BP373 bipolar devices have a 330ohm resistors to convert the 5V logic levels to drive the base.
The FET devices use 5v to drive them. Quite often resistors are used to reduce the pulse currents into the gates of the FET.
I can not see why they could not be used. The resistors on the data sheet shows a 1K for the test circuit. 330 ohm used for the BIP373's may well be fine for the FET devices.

If it was me I would give them ago. What is the worst that could happen
If they work well it is another device the others might start adopting.

rf900rush.
Iīd be willing to put my money on the alternatives provided I get a schematic that allows it to work in place of the BIP 373.
If it works, I can provide feedback for the forum and future users.
Please note that Iīm trying to stay locost as BIP373 kit is 10 US, but shipping is 14 USD and therefore the main reason to try alternative.
Thanks for your comments.
AA

Angel Acevedo - 16/11/18 at 05:53 PM

Any help?

I am now considering a Bruck Module which is a direct replacement for this Bosch Ignition Driver. http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/content/downloads/Products/resources/2778342155/en/pdf/Ignition_Module_IM_3.2_Datasheet_51_en_2778309387.pdf

Anyone here has had any experience with it?
My concern is that it is a 3 Ignition Driver (Up to 6 Cyl Wasted Spark) but then each driver will fire twice per revolution, and on my setup it will be firing 4 times, even though I will be using one driver and when it quits I will still have two drivers...

Cost in Mexico is about 10 Pounds, so a lot cheaper than buying BIP 373.
Your comments..??
Thanks in advance.

Angel Acevedo - 28/11/18 at 07:27 PM

To all...
I subscribed to the Megasquirt forums and posted a few times.
An experienced forum member stated that TIP120, TIP121 or TIP122 should serve my purposes.
As they are readily available, I will install one on my CPU and when the time comes, Iīll update this thread for future reference.
Thanks to all that posted suggestions.
Best regards.
Angel Acevedo

baz-R - 17/7/19 at 02:45 PM

you could run external BIP373? bosch do a few modules where there are upto 4 BIP373's in one amplifier

part numbers are in the mega manual and you get the added benefit of less noise inside your case and its all outside for cooling or if you burn one up!

found on VW and other european cars so you might be able to get them ?

Angel Acevedo - 18/7/19 at 01:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by baz-R
you could run external BIP373? bosch do a few modules where there are upto 4 BIP373's in one amplifier

As stated above, I went for a TIP transistor. I havenīt

quote:

part numbers are in the mega manual and you get the added benefit of less noise inside your case and its all outside for cooling or if you burn one up!
Do you know the page? I donīt seem to recall seeing Part Number for the modules.

quote:

found on VW and other european cars so you might be able to get them ?

As stated above also, I bought a module that I got the number I donīt know where, but at the end I decided not to use it.

Thanks for posting.