Board logo

Side Repeaters
Deckman001 - 4/5/20 at 07:59 AM

Hi all,

I was just wondering what people have used for these, on my car built over ten years ago i fitted them suitable for the regulations at the time, now for IVA i have to fit different ones in addition to the ones i have already fitted, but thankfully you can have more than one each side, so, where did people put theirs? am trying to keep it locost, so Caterham front wing mounted ones are too expensive in my mind

Jason

adithorp - 4/5/20 at 08:43 AM

I assume you've fitted them to the scuttle? That fails the angle of visibility check from the rear as the rear arch hides them.

Either fitting to the front edge of the rest arched (check they don't exceed the max distance from the front) or on the outer edge of the front arches is the common solution. Little button ones are common and shouldn't be too expensive.

Don't think (not got manual to hand) you can have more than one each side do you'd have to remove the current ones. Just removing the bulbs isn't enough AFAIK

ianhurley20 - 4/5/20 at 08:53 AM

I used cheap 1cm ish button ones from ebay and fitted them to the outside of front wings to get all the visible angles right. Only 1 set allowed or required. Interestingly I used old VW Bettle indicators on the top of the front wings and they will get all the angles covered both front and rear, if it didn't say I had to have repeaters I would not have needed them

CosKev3 - 4/5/20 at 08:54 AM

As above you are only allowed one set of side repeaters, you will need to stick a badge or summat over the holes whilst IVA'ing if you want to fit them back to scuttle after test

Deckman001 - 4/5/20 at 09:26 AM

Damit, Ok guys, many thanks for the answers, I thought i could use both, but hey ho, another problem to resolve for not getting it sva's many years ago.

Jason

rusty nuts - 4/5/20 at 09:42 AM

Wing mirror mounted repeaters would probably be OK but can’t say I’ve seen any suitable for a locost

Deckman001 - 4/5/20 at 09:49 AM

Description
Description

As you can possibly see them from the above pic, I mounted them along the sides, in between the front and rear arches so a definite no-no now.

So I'll have to try and track down the 10mm ones stated above and get them fitted to the front cycle wings instead.

Are you allowed a side marker light as a running light, always on while the lights are on?

Jason

40inches - 4/5/20 at 11:10 AM

You may find it easier to wire if you fit them to the rear arches?
They need to be less than 2600mm from the front,if I remember correctly.
Side Repeaters
Side Repeaters
Description
Description

Deckman001 - 4/5/20 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Side Repeaters
Side Repeaters
Description
Description

Yep you are correct as usual , where did you get yours from ? I can only find ones that need a 20mm hole through the bodywork.

Jason

907 - 4/5/20 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Wing mirror mounted repeaters would probably be OK but can’t say I’ve seen any suitable for a locost

Before IVA

Description
Description

And after IVA

Description
Description

Deckman001 - 4/5/20 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Before IVA

Description
Description

And after IVA

Description
Description

That's an interesting option.

I'll have to wait till i get it back before deciding which is the best looking option for my car, although that doesn't mean both options are possible for my car as mirrors are different and I was originally thinking of side mounting on either front or rear arches firstly.

Hmmmm decisions decisions.........

Jason

40inches - 4/5/20 at 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
quote:
Side Repeaters
Side Repeaters
Description
Description

where did you get yours from ? I can only find ones that need a 20mm hole through the bodywork.

Jason

They are the 20mm ones, I removed them from the rubber sleeve and fitted the light directly into the fibreglass
Around a 12mm hole.

CosKev3 - 5/5/20 at 12:49 PM

quote:
Description
Description

As you can possibly see them from the above pic, I mounted them along the sides, in between the front and rear arches so a definite no-no now.

So I'll have to try and track down the 10mm ones stated above and get them fitted to the front cycle wings instead.

Are you allowed a side marker light as a running light, always on while the lights are on?

Jason

To give you some more to do you will need some bigger headlights too with a beam pattern.
Some people have passed with dominators, but majority fail IVA

Deckman001 - 5/5/20 at 02:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Description
Description

Jason

To give you some more to do you will need some bigger headlights too with a beam pattern.

Ive got my MOT guy checking them while he sets the suspension, when i checked them inside the garage they showed a level beam, so i checked the IVA manual and it says it must have a level beam or a kick up to the left, so hopefully the level beam will suffice.
Although I am open to being told by anyone who used them for IVA and failed ?

Jason

Deckman001 - 5/5/20 at 02:35 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Side Repeaters
Side Repeaters
Description
Description

where did you get yours from ? I can only find ones that need a 20mm hole through the bodywork.

Jason

They are the 20mm ones, I removed them from the rubber sleeve and fitted the light directly into the fibreglass
Around a 12mm hole.

Oh, i see !! that makes them even better for my decision as to where to fit them

Jason

CosKev3 - 5/5/20 at 03:24 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Description
Description

Jason

Ive got my MOT guy checking them while he sets the suspension, when i checked them inside the garage they showed a level beam, so i checked the IVA manual and it says it must have a level beam or a kick up to the left, so hopefully the level beam will suffice.

Jason

Pretty sure on the beam checker it wont be a defined enough flat beam, they are more of a 'blob' of light,because they are motorbike headlights.
Also check the stated heights and width measurements in the IVA manual,with them being so small they dont meet the requirements on some chassis without being spaced outwards or upwards

Deckman001 - 5/5/20 at 04:09 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Description
Description

Jason

Jason

Pretty sure on the beam checker it wont be a defined enough flat beam, they are more of a 'blob' of light,because they are motorbike headlights.
Also check the stated heights and width measurements in the IVA manual,with them being so small they dont meet the requirements on some chassis without being spaced outwards or upwards

Yeah I have set them out with at least 50mm within the max distance from the outside and they clear the front wheels nicely too, I have had to raise them by about 30mm so at to clear the min height too so hopefully the ride height won't be changed during the set up

Jason

Deckman001 - 5/5/20 at 04:12 PM

But all, please keep coming back with questions or queries regarding my build, I've not put a car through this sort of test before and first built this car over ten years ago so am trying to play catch up with the rules and I expect to miss quite a few things so all help is very much appreciated.

Jason